or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 275  

post #4111 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post


Quote:


Chris,

 

I think you might have to visit a fabric store.  They sell some pretty thin materials - almost the consistency that you'd find on the bottom of the box spring in your bedroom.  This is about the same density and thickness of the original material that was in place from Grado in the beginning.

 

Just be careful going into such a store - there are many old ladies with a passion for sewing that might try to hit on you by striking up a conversation on sewing.  Just buy what you need and bail out of there.  biggrin.gif
 

 


psssht. I'm gonna find myself a lady with a nice 401k plan. I'm gonna be hitting on them, not the other way around. 

 

post #4112 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

 

105_0307.JPG

 


James, where did you get those cups? Can you please provide any more info on them?
post #4113 of 5003

 



James, where did you get those cups? Can you please provide any more info on them?


http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod-for-Alessandro-Grado-headphones.html

 

:)

 

post #4114 of 5003

I like when people dont go for the dickhead move and tell the poster to "use the search" or something else degrading that takes longer to type than a simple answer to the question.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

 


http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod-for-Alessandro-Grado-headphones.html

 

:)

 



 

post #4115 of 5003
Thanks guys, I appreciate it too. I have searched, but without knowing the name, I hadn't come across any retail aluminum cups.
post #4116 of 5003
Hello from Budapest my friends!

I invited an artist I met on Charles bridge in Prague to join the forum! He was using AKG headphones and some dap with an amp he bought from eBay, so I took notice of him immediately.

I hope bila bill has sent my cups.. Wouldn't know till I fly off from Vienna on the 3rd
post #4117 of 5003

Hello guys

I went to a local shoes repair/leather workshop yesterday and left them one grado headband and ask them to duplicate it with leather and more padding... will see later today if they came out with something nice!

post #4118 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

Hello guys

I went to a local shoes repair/leather workshop yesterday and left them one grado headband and ask them to duplicate it with leather and more padding... will see later today if they came out with something nice!



good idea! there is a shoe shop somewhere around here.. somewhere. I might do the same. I was thinking about making a leather headband too. I might after I get done doing sound modifications. Sound>aesthetics. I'm thinking brass gimbals and screen with my rosewood cups and a dark leather headband for the final touch. definitely gonna be modding my fostex's before I get around to worry about making my grado's more pretty though. 

post #4119 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioos View Post

Thanks guys, I appreciate it too. I have searched, but without knowing the name, I hadn't come across any retail aluminum cups.


these can also be modded a good amount too. You can remove the color (deanodize) if you would like.. and you can remove the part that extends the driver away from your ear. A user named Lawrywild did both here and had good results, I'm fairly sure.

post #4120 of 5003

Two things I wish I knew. What an RS1 sounds like compared to the 225's I modded; and what the 60's in Blackwood compared to the 225 in Blackwood sound like. From what little I can discern from the one functioning driver they are similar. I just tried to desolder and resolder the one driver on the 60 and unfortanately my efforts were in vain, it still sounds anemic, like its being smothered by a pillow. The modded 225 sounds fantastic though. It's not as laid back as my HF2 and not as dark. It reminds me of my MS2, only a little fuller and warmer. I actually like it better than my HF2 but they compliment each other well.

post #4121 of 5003

Hello gang, I have officially fried yet another SR-60 driver. I was experimenting with a new driver basket material removal technique and I must have had to tight of a grip on its rim.  Does anyone have a spare driver that they are willing to sell me?

 

 

Thanks in advance, Bill.

post #4122 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post

Hello gang, I have officially fried yet another SR-60 driver. I was experimenting with a new driver basket material removal technique and I must have had to tight of a grip on its rim.  Does anyone have a spare driver that they are willing to sell me?

 

 

Thanks in advance, Bill.


Damn! sorry to hear that bill. Wish I could help you out. 

 

 

-edit- you might want to consider picking up an iGrado.. I had a coupon a while back for a website.. let me see if it still works

post #4123 of 5003

sorry about your driver Big Bill, you guys have to be more careful with those drivers (joke intented) BTW I read here that grado charges 25$ for new driver+cables replacement, maybe they could also sell them for the same price? because i doubt they take sr60 with woodies.

 

i bastardized my drivers with lots of love today, and im excited about the results.

 

i removed as much plastic as i could, sonsidering that i still need to leave the plastic ring tab to hold the driver into the aluminium cup.

105_0331.JPG

 

 

the front plastic had to go too

 

 

105_0327.JPG

 

 

i replaced it with a very open metal mesh

 

105_0335.JPG

 

the upgrade in clarity is noticeable, i can say im happy now, and the characteristic sr80i boomy bass has reduced.

 

now some shots to prove its openness

 

105_0342.JPG

 

105_0343.JPG

 

 

I think im happy with the sound now, only left to improve confort and functionality and look. so I'm over the 60% done

 

 


Edited by JamesMcProgger - 6/1/11 at 6:21pm
post #4124 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Two things I wish I knew. What an RS1 sounds like compared to the 225's I modded;


I was almost at that point last weekend.  I have my modded SR-225s.  I had my aim on a local pair of RS-1s, but chickened out because of my desire to keep on moddin'.

 

 

 

post #4125 of 5003

Actually, I've been through the process where I attempted to buy the drivers and cable from them, which I would have done the work myself after receiving the parts.  However, Grado insisted that they don't sell parts and they are the ones that need to perform the work.  It was $45.00 for my SR-325i to get recabled as well as new drivers.  The whole process took about 3 weeks with the shipment both ways.  Grado covers the shipping back to you.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

sorry about your driver Big Bill, you guys have to be more careful with those drivers (joke intented) BTW I read here that grado charges 25$ for new driver+cables replacement, maybe they could also sell them for the same price? because i doubt they take sr60 with woodies.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked