or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 263  

post #3931 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post


Why would he want an audiophile son in law? She would be lied to all the time about how much things cost. Spend most of her nights alone on the couch while he takes apart headphones and puts them back together.
 


Yeah, why would I?  Actually, the last guy she was dating, I was about ready to give a nice 10" subwoofer in a cabinet with a plate amp to him.  My wife told me to hold off for a bit longer.  As it turned out, a few weeks later, he started acting a bit weird and not hanging around as much (he has ADHD issues).  Fortunately, I didn't give him the lil' beast.  Instead, I was able to sell it on Craigslist for about $60.  Put a little more cash in my pocket for my own headphone upgrades.

 

Now, if she's serious down the road about some guy and he comes over to meet us and starts talking about Bose, I'll probably have to ask him to leave the house. beyersmile.png



 

 



 

post #3932 of 5003

Now, if she's serious down the road about some guy and he comes over to meet us and starts talking about Bose, I'll probably have to ask him to leave the house. 

 

 

Hilarious and so true.

post #3933 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Interesting.

 

I just took the 225's apart and realized the plastic driver housing is different than the SR60's. I'm guesing that's been discussed. The 4 connector cable I was aware of, as well as the magnet being coated with something, but the driver housing difference was one I wasnt expecting. So it would appear just based on visual observation that the difference between the SR60 and the 225 are an upgraded cable, the coated magnet, more plastic in the driver housing, and bowls rather than comfies.

 


Those are the SR-225i model, right?  When I purchased that model about 2.5 months back, I realized the thicker cable that was included on them.  I thought they were nicely built.  I thought the SR-80i and up featured the heavier cable?  Or, maybe, I'm wrong with that assumption.  I can see where Grado would increase the depth of the housings for the 225 model, to change the sound signature a bit from the SR-125 - and lower models.  Now, you've got me curious about the SR-225i again.  I own the modded SR-225 - but not the "i" model.

 

Hmm ...  basshead.gif

 

post #3934 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post



Can you get by with some JVC Marshmallow ear buds?  I have a pair that I use and find them pretty good.  I only paid $14.99 (US$) at a store for military vets and there was no tax collected, either.  However, they sell for about $20 (US$) at other retailers here in the U.S.  They're the kind of ear bud that doesn't sound horrible and because of the low cost, you don't feel guilty about how you treat them when you use them.  I had a pair of $80 Klipsch for a while.  Those things drove me crazy with paranoia.  I was always thinking something crazy was going to happen to them when I was doing outside work with them on, like the cable getting cut, etc.  With these cheaper JVCs, there is no guilt.

+1 to marshmallow's. Nice Little cheap-o headphones for isolation.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post



Unfortunately, the modified Grados tend to provide less isolation than the stock ones.  I guess this might be due to the fact that the rear holes in the fabric have been opened up and people have replaced the standard screen with a more open screen material - as well as removed those "SR-60" circular tags.

 

OT: A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I had a job interview.  Well, this afternoon, I received the verbal offer with a formal one coming in the mail soon.  I'll then be able to turn in my resignation with my current corporation.  The anticipated start date will be June 20th.  The pay increase is actually quite good, plus this position has pension program and not a 401k, like I have right now.  I'm a bit happy - should be celebrating with some cold ones, but I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning and it was a long day.  The same can be said for tomorrow too - 4:30 a.m. wake up.  40 mile drive into the city.  The weekend can't get here fast enough.  


congratz!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post




Those are the SR-225i model, right?  When I purchased that model about 2.5 months back, I realized the thicker cable that was included on them.  I thought they were nicely built.  I thought the SR-80i and up featured the heavier cable?  Or, maybe, I'm wrong with that assumption.  I can see where Grado would increase the depth of the housings for the 225 model, to change the sound signature a bit from the SR-125 - and lower models.  Now, you've got me curious about the SR-225i again.  I own the modded SR-225 - but not the "i" model.

 

Hmm ...  basshead.gif

 

my 80i don't have the 4 conductor cable.. I think the upgraded cable consists of two grounds... i think.
 

 

post #3935 of 5003

@wje:  Dammit, man.  Your avatar is evolving into mine.  (Or I hope that is on an upward slope...)

 

Will you "upgrade" your avatar <at least> when you start the new gig???

 

 

@Kneel...I like the black finish!  The mesh looks nice too...I'm sure that set-up sounds good. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

006.JPG

 

 

post #3936 of 5003

@Bil:  Do you take Delta Dental?  And could you post pics of the Nitrous?  TIA.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

I'M GOING ALL IN

Tall and Bad - Reverse Angle.jpg

Shiny Laser Shot.jpg

 

Vise in Tall and Bad.jpg



 

post #3937 of 5003

NICE job KneeJung! Loving those grills!

post #3938 of 5003

 

hey guys love this thread!

 

Erm anyone done those mods and what did you think has changed?

 

I just followed whatever Bilavideo did haha - up till recabling with blue-tak dampening the chambers.

 

Questions:

  1. I used Blu-Tak on the drivers. So it will be ok or are other materials preferred? (It's not gna affect that much right..? :S)
  2. I liked the HF after I did the 20c mod and took the cloth away. I also have done the vent-mod (5 holes only in case i regret but its good). That means I should try the bowl pads? What do they offer other than bigger soundstage?
  3. What's the benefit of using 414 pads?

 

 

P.s. Mine are ms1's.

post #3939 of 5003

1. Can't tell.

2. The stock comfy pads are such sound quality killers. You could try bowls, perhaps you like them better.

3. The colour, should you like yellow. :-) Nah, they sound different from the comfies, are cheap and fit Grados perfectly.

 

For the real MS-1 deal, check out the MS1000 mod. :-)

post #3940 of 5003

Hey, you guys. I know I might've missed it reading several hundred pages...but has anyone found a solution about not making the cables wind up and mess up? it's been like this to the point where I need to have my sr80s recabled and if I do that I might just mod the rest of the thing. Any suggestions? I still want it to be able to fold flat, but not do several rotations. And if it's possible, a step by step instruction sheet with pictures and list of materials. 

 

Thanks

post #3941 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

@wje:  Dammit, man.  Your avatar is evolving into mine.  (Or I hope that is on an upward slope...)

 

Will you "upgrade" your avatar <at least> when you start the new gig???

 

 


I can't change avatars that quickly.  Actually, I just updated mine about 1:00 a.m. this morning.  biggrin.gif   I used to have the guy from Kentucky who was forced to eat part of his beard, which I added a pair of Grado SR-325i "Goldies" to.   I had that avatar for about a month.  Now, the recent avatar is just of an ape, along with the same pair of Grado SR-325i "Goldies" on.  The common the being the "Goldies".  wink.gif

post #3942 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

 

hey guys love this thread!

 

Erm anyone done those mods and what did you think has changed?

 

I just followed whatever Bilavideo did haha - up till recabling with blue-tak dampening the chambers.

 

Questions:

  1. I used Blu-Tak on the drivers. So it will be ok or are other materials preferred? (It's not gna affect that much right..? :S)
  2. I liked the HF after I did the 20c mod and took the cloth away. I also have done the vent-mod (5 holes only in case i regret but its good). That means I should try the bowl pads? What do they offer other than bigger soundstage?
  3. What's the benefit of using 414 pads?

 

 

P.s. Mine are ms1's.


1. The general consensus is that Dynamat is a bit better. I feel like I saw improvement with dynamat, but I've never messed with blu tak. 

2. I prefer the bowl pads for both comfort and sound. I think there is more clarity and oomph and they sit on my ears just right..

3. The reversed 414 pads are kind of what I would consider a compromise between bowls and comfies. they put a bit more distance between your ears and the drivers than the bowls do, but they are damn comfortable. I can see why people like these pads. Actually, I'm about to put them back on mine and give them another go :)

 

-EDIT- Just a forewarning, a lot of people do not like the comfort of the bowls at all. Also, I got mine used and broken in a fair amount, I think this affects the comfort and probably the sound a bit too seeing as the foam probably compresses more.. All I know is that I like them a lot.

 

-EDIT- I just did a little pad comparison dealio.. I decided I find the hd414 pads (cut out and reversed) to be brighter and the bowls to be darker. The comfies, well they only make them comfortable, for some reason they just suck some life out of the music. So, In conclusion I like both the hd414 pads and the bowls. I will probably switch back in forth for different albums if i'm finding them too bright or too bass heavy. Most people would prefer the comfort of the hd414 pads but I prefer the bowls for comfort. Just my 2 cents.

 

TL:DR

 

Bowls(more bass emphasis)=cut out and reversed hd414(more sparkly highs, less bass emphasis)>Cut out comfies>reversed comfies>stock comfies.. IMHO


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 5/21/11 at 11:35am
post #3943 of 5003

KneeJung was it you who wanted the BigBill headband? If so drop me a pm.

post #3944 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintkeat View Post

KneeJung was it you who wanted the BigBill headband? If so drop me a pm.


I'm not sure.  But, it is me who is waiting for my SR-325i "liners". triportsad.gif

 

post #3945 of 5003


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

3. The reversed 414 pads are kind of what I would consider a compromise between bowls and comfies. they put a bit more distance between your ears and the drivers than the bowls do, but they are damn comfortable. I can see why people like these pads. Actually, I'm about to put them back on mine and give them another go :)

 

 

For people interested in utilizing the 414 pads or even the Grado "comfy" pads with the quarter "mod" for that matter, I stumbled across a pretty neat tip in my Web travels.  All it takes is two tools: 1) A nice sharp pointed craft knife and, 2) A socket about the size of a quarter from a typical socket set.

 

First, I'd clean up the socket with some good degreaser, so you don't get any grime on the fresh new yellow 414 pads.  Place the ear pad down on a work surface that won't get ruined when you make the cut with the knife.  Position the socket over the foam where you want to make your cut.  Hold the socket firmly in place with one hand so it doesn't move.  With the craft knife in the other hand, slowly follow around the circular edge of the socket with the knife to make a nice, clean cut.  When you're sure you've completely cut through the foam around the whole diameter of the socket, you can then lift up the socket to check out your work.  This will usually result in a nice, clean - and professional looking opening on the ear pad.

 

Best of luck.  Enjoy !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked