or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 243  

post #3631 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post

I'd like to start by stating that I do respect the people and the opinions of those who disagree with my assertions. That said, it is my understanding that the SR series drivers are indeed the same, with the housing/cups materials, number of holes vented in the felt, cables and cushions being the differences between the SR models. These findings are the product of "Bilavideos" work and in turn the basis for this very thread. It was Bills report of these findings that first interested me in this subject and ultimately motivated me to experiment with SR modding myself. The SR series drivers baskets, magnets, voice coil impedance and resistance measurements, mass, build materials, and diagrams are all identical. If this is news to any of you, then perhaps a re-read of this thread is in order.

Have these variables been measured by anyone so far? I have followed the entire thread from beginning to end and while remembering Bila mentioning that they were identical, AFAIK no one has done conclusive tests with weighing scales/multimeters to prove your above statement. Do correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if Grado were to change the drivers in their earlier SR series (read: SR200) as well as in their RS/HF/GS/PS series (schwallman's comparison between his RS1s and HF2s) wouldn't it stand to reason that they could have put their SR series drivers through similar modifications as the headphones progress down the line?

Just a random postulation. I was under the impression perhaps the mylar coating on the drivers could have been modified or changed down the driver line (has anyone had an experience with the symphones' drivers which apparently have been modified with a different coating to see if there really is a difference?)

EDIT: At the same time I do believe that the SR60 driver isn't as far away from the GS/PS/RS series drivers as price would have us believe, which is why I am pretty satisfied with my woodied SR60s and do not intend to go any further in the forseeable future.


Edited by Nightslayer - 5/5/11 at 6:53am
post #3632 of 5003


I also tore apart a set of bose OE headphones. Inside those bose cups is an identical driver to the grado driver. The only difference was the plate on the back that everyone puts dynamat on had 4 holds instead of two. It had the same material that we punch holes in, same height, width, diameter as the grado drivers. I never had a chance to put it in a grado housing to test. I do have another set but they now belong to my daughter. If I could replace hers with something else, I might be able to take them apart and test. I forget the process of taking them apart at the moment. Ill look at them at lunchtime and see.

The only difference between the hf2 driver and the rs1 driver was the hf2 has one hole punched into them. I replicated it on the rs1 driver. While it did sound close, it didnt ever sound exactly the same as the hf2 driver. Maybe that mesh on the back of the driver has more layers/thickness to it, i dont know.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post



Have these variables been measured by anyone so far? I have followed the entire thread from beginning to end and while remembering Bila mentioning that they were identical, AFAIK no one has done conclusive tests with weighing scales/multimeters to prove your above statement. Do correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if Grado were to change the drivers in their earlier SR series (read: SR200) as well as in their RS/HF/GS/PS series (schwallman's comparison between his RS1s and HF2s) wouldn't it stand to reason that they could have put their SR series drivers through similar modifications as the headphones progress down the line?

Just a random postulation. I was under the impression perhaps the mylar coating on the drivers could have been modified or changed down the driver line (has anyone had an experience with the symphones' drivers which apparently have been modified with a different coating to see if there really is a difference?)

EDIT: At the same time I do believe that the SR60 driver isn't as far away from the GS/PS/RS series drivers as price would have us believe, which is why I am pretty satisfied with my woodied SR60s and do not intend to go any further in the forseeable future.



 

post #3633 of 5003

There's a lot of wishful thinking going on here.....

post #3634 of 5003


I bet the John Grado is pretty amused at all the threads and posts about how stuff is made and what people think are different between the grado lineup. Are you sure your not in the market for my new and improved snake oil? Its the best!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post


I also tore apart a set of bose OE headphones. Inside those bose cups is an identical driver to the grado driver. The only difference was the plate on the back that everyone puts dynamat on had 4 holds instead of two. It had the same material that we punch holes in, same height, width, diameter as the grado drivers. I never had a chance to put it in a grado housing to test. I do have another set but they now belong to my daughter. If I could replace hers with something else, I might be able to take them apart and test. I forget the process of taking them apart at the moment. Ill look at them at lunchtime and see.

The only difference between the hf2 driver and the rs1 driver was the hf2 has one hole punched into them. I replicated it on the rs1 driver. While it did sound close, it didnt ever sound exactly the same as the hf2 driver. Maybe that mesh on the back of the driver has more layers/thickness to it, i dont know.
 



 



 

post #3635 of 5003

I think it all involves some type of black magic O.o.. All drivers sound a bit different, some are matched better.. We KNOW this.. We KNOW that grado claims to destress sr80 drivers.. I think these are the only potential differences. That and people want them to sound different, I sure as hell would if i just bought some expensive headphones and found out they are very similar to a cheaper pair.. 

 

So, I think there are some small differences and some mental things that cause the difference in sounds.

post #3636 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

I think it all involves some type of black magic O.o.. All drivers sound a bit different, some are matched better.. We KNOW this.. We KNOW that grado claims to destress sr80 drivers.. I think these are the only potential differences. That and people want them to sound different, I sure as hell would if i just bought some expensive headphones and found out they are very similar to a cheaper pair.. 

 

So, I think there are some small differences and some mental things that cause the difference in sounds.



Hail satan! beerchug.gif

post #3637 of 5003

Hey I just got home and found 2 V-audio cases sitting on my dining table waiting for me.

 

MAN these things are huge! but bloody well made!

post #3638 of 5003


They are nice cases. I bought a smaller case(forget brand) but I had to cram the grados in it. I never felt good about using it. I pikced up that same case on ebay and like it alot. Plenty of room for the headphones and extra pads.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintkeat View Post

Hey I just got home and found 2 V-audio cases sitting on my dining table waiting for me.

 

MAN these things are huge! but bloody well made!



 

post #3639 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post


They are nice cases. I bought a smaller case(forget brand) but I had to cram the grados in it. I never felt good about using it. I pikced up that same case on ebay and like it alot. Plenty of room for the headphones and extra pads.
 



 

 

 

I believe I have one of those smaller cases you mean, "R&M headcase"? its good enought for my alessandro ms1 not i, but the sr80i fits tight in it.
 

 

post #3640 of 5003

Yea I don't have a problem with them =D they'll be perfect with jumbo pads on too...

 

Girlfriend on the other hand... first thing she asked was can we return them, then she asked to see the shoulder strap and started liking it more..

 

she has a problem with the logo though so I suggested stickers..

 

Women!

post #3641 of 5003

to continue with our driver dilema, check out this guys findings (Sean)

 

http://www.headfonia.com/alessandro-ms1i-review/#comment-197221192

 

tho most of the link he posted are in chinese and google is quite lacky in making sense

post #3642 of 5003

Does the front grill go away when the dirver is partially liberated?

If the process is done by removing the outer plastic around the driver then it looks like it stays in place but I'm uncertain.

post #3643 of 5003

De stressing process huh? Perhaps a quick blast with the heat gun?


Edited by Big Bill - 5/5/11 at 1:00pm
post #3644 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwallman View Post


I bet the John Grado is pretty amused at all the threads and posts about how stuff is made and what people think are different between the grado lineup. Are you sure your not in the market for my new and improved snake oil? Its the best!



 



Special de stressing snake oil? Yea, that's the ticket!


Edited by Big Bill - 5/5/11 at 4:42pm
post #3645 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekN View Post

Does the front grill go away when the dirver is partially liberated?

If the process is done by removing the outer plastic around the driver then it looks like it stays in place but I'm uncertain.


 

It stays intact. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post

De stressing process huh? Perhaps a quick blast with the heat gun?


You know... You probably hit the nail on the head there Bill.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked