New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 168  

post #2506 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post
Such a shame that is being hidden in the plastic prison of a 125... Those look amazing!

+1

 

what wood is it?
 

 

post #2507 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post



+1

 

what wood is it?
 

 


Rosewood.

 

Alright, I read about 2/3 of this thread (the first 50 pages and the last 50 pages) I'm kinda upset that I only needed to read the first 15 pages and the last 10 or so to learn all I needed. Now I just need a Grado, heck just the drivers would be fine. I could ghetto a headband, or cannibalize some vintage headphone. Anyone have some spares? Or should I just suck it up and spend the $50 when I get the money? Haha. Btw, Bill, have you created a sucessful HP1000 style gimbal? I know you made some rings, but AFAIK, you haven't found anything to connect them.

 

post #2508 of 5003
Thread Starter 
I too am sorry you had to read more of the thread than necessary to learn all you needed to know about modding. As someone who helped grow the thread, I still don't know all I need to know. I also don't have free drivers to give you but if you'll see the cashier on the way out I'm sure we can get you your money back.
Edited by Bilavideo - 3/26/11 at 2:28pm
post #2509 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

I too am sorry you had to read more of the thread than necessary to learn all you needed to know about modding. As someone who helped grow the thread, I still don't know all I need to know. I also don't have free drivers to give you but if you'll see the cashier on the way out I'm sure we can get you your money back.



ROFLMAO!!! biggrin.gif

 

post #2510 of 5003

Bilavideo.....I'm a bit upset that this thread and most of these mods you've written down, did instructional videos on and supported throughout the process of anyone anywhere undertaking these mods and the fact that you help people, you actually help people--now whats that about!!! See now I'm really bugged because I spent $50 bucks and that was it, I wanted to spend more like $2500 to $4000 and I'm only out $50...well, well,.  HOW DARE YOU!!!!

post #2511 of 5003
Hah, that sounded a bit stupid, didn't it? Sorry about that. And I didn't expect a donor pair, just hoping to save $10 or so to help fund a lathe.
post #2512 of 5003

329722475_6237e727b8.jpg

post #2513 of 5003

ishcabible-welcome to the twilight zone...!!

post #2514 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

Hah, that sounded a bit stupid, didn't it? Sorry about that. And I didn't expect a donor pair, just hoping to save $10 or so to help fund a lathe.

 

Wow.  As rankled as I was (in the middle of an endless, all-day chess tournament - I'm the coach falling asleep in the corner), I'm impressed that you deflected my temper with a straight-forward apology.  You rock!  Anybody who doesn't get hung up over his ego has got to be a future contributor to this thread.  You might just be the new blood we need to keep this thread going.

 

With respect to a homegrown PS1, I found a way to make a more elegant symmetrical design (about 3/4" on each side for something a little shorter than 1.5 inches in length).  What I lacked were the screws, but I didn't fail to get them because they were military surplus (and Tom Cruise had bought up the supply).  I was just too busy (or lazy) to hit a real hardware store.  My son found one and came back all aflutter but I just didn't get down there.  I'll hit the place tomorrow (unless the security system stops me) though I'll leave it to Cruise to repel from the ceiling like a sweaty spider.

 

In the meantime, I'm happy to say I've found a solution to an issue that has bugged me for some time: the dilemma of creating something that could fit the narrow Grado tolerances while, at the same, remaining durable and shock resistant.  It came to me in a dream and while it's thundering in its simplicity, it'll definitely do the job.  I'll post pics when I get a chance. 

 

It's going to be a busy Sunday.

post #2515 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

 

Wow.  As rankled as I was (in the middle of an endless, all-day chess tournament - I'm the coach falling asleep in the corner), I'm impressed that you deflected my temper with a straight-forward apology.  You rock!  Anybody who doesn't get hung up over his ego has got to be a future contributor to this thread.  You might just be the new blood we need to keep this thread going.

 

With respect to a homegrown PS1, I found a way to make a more elegant symmetrical design (about 3/4" on each side for something a little shorter than 1.5 inches in length).  What I lacked were the screws, but I didn't fail to get them because they were military surplus (and Tom Cruise had bought up the supply).  I was just too busy (or lazy) to hit a real hardware store.  My son found one and came back all aflutter but I just didn't get down there.  I'll hit the place tomorrow (unless the security system stops me) though I'll leave it to Cruise to repel from the ceiling like a sweaty spider.

 

In the meantime, I'm happy to say I've found a solution to an issue that has bugged me for some time: the dilemma of creating something that could fit the narrow Grado tolerances while, at the same, remaining durable and shock resistant.  It came to me in a dream and while it's thundering in its simplicity, it'll definitely do the job.  I'll post pics when I get a chance. 

 

It's going to be a busy Sunday.

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what screws you come up with.
post #2516 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclein View Post

Bilavideo what should I do with my 125's that are here waiting for whatever the mad doctor comes up with...I can't/won't liberate-too risky for me with shaky paws. I like a nice even sound top to bottom with nice tight punchy bass and extended highs but must be non-fatiguing even if it means sacrificing some of the high end sparkle. Thoughts??

 

 

 

 


Patience, Grasshopper.  For the fruits of such beloved sound is well worth any wait that may be cast upon you.  This evening, I'm bouncing between the Bilavideo SR225s and stock SR325s.  Needless to say, the stock SR325s don't quite match what I'm hearing with the modified SR225s -- full, lush sound from top to bottom.  Oh, so sweet.  Remember ... Patience, Grasshopper.

 

 

 

post #2517 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

 

Wow.  As rankled as I was (in the middle of an endless, all-day chess tournament - I'm the coach falling asleep in the corner), I'm impressed that you deflected my temper with a straight-forward apology.  You rock!  Anybody who doesn't get hung up over his ego has got to be a future contributor to this thread.  You might just be the new blood we need to keep this thread going.

 

With respect to a homegrown PS1, I found a way to make a more elegant symmetrical design (about 3/4" on each side for something a little shorter than 1.5 inches in length).  What I lacked were the screws, but I didn't fail to get them because they were military surplus (and Tom Cruise had bought up the supply).  I was just too busy (or lazy) to hit a real hardware store.  My son found one and came back all aflutter but I just didn't get down there.  I'll hit the place tomorrow (unless the security system stops me) though I'll leave it to Cruise to repel from the ceiling like a sweaty spider.

 

In the meantime, I'm happy to say I've found a solution to an issue that has bugged me for some time: the dilemma of creating something that could fit the narrow Grado tolerances while, at the same, remaining durable and shock resistant.  It came to me in a dream and while it's thundering in its simplicity, it'll definitely do the job.  I'll post pics when I get a chance. 

 

It's going to be a busy Sunday.



Haha, it's totally my fault (I'm a bit flustered because I just realized that by putting my 5 headphone reviews aside to bring my math grade up from a D- to an A-, my chemistry up from a D+ to a B+, and my English grade up from a C to an A, I now need to give up my spring break to finish them, so I wasn't in the best mood since I realized it was my fault, and just made some friends mad at that fact.), and to rage back at some (funny) sarcasm would be totally uncalled for, especially to the person that is basically the reason people are starting to get into modding, which excites me because there will always be people that figure out new things through accidents that end up being an improvement rather than a flustercuck. As far as being a new contributor, I have a few ideas, but the likelihood of them actually being valid is slim. I want to use a Pioneer SE-205, Koss PRO4AA, or a broken pair of Stax SR30's to cannibalize and replace the minimalistic headband. And I want to do everything possible to make a closed pair of Grados. I know people said it can't be done well, but I'll have a whole summer with a lathe or drill press and a craft store nearby. I'll probably need two SR60's. If I'm lucky, there will be some cheap ones on eBay, since I can barely afford one new pair. And I used to have a friend that competed in chess tournament, and he said they were basically the worst thing ever created, especially those with short attention spans.

 

By the way, how wide does the chamber for the drivers need to be? I have a 1 9/16" forstner tip I'd like to use for more than one project.

 

What do the screws look like? Anything I could make if I can't find it? Then again, my friend owns a jewelry store, so his parents might have some watch crowns that would work? I dunno. I've just been spitballing incoherencies this whole post.


Edited by Ishcabible - 3/26/11 at 9:30pm
post #2518 of 5003

For anyone reading this thread and thinking 'Pah - 90% placebo !', I can only give you an example of a YouTube vid that illustrates, for me, what the 'BV60i' does over the stock 60s.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNvOVey0MSs

 

I'm not exactly the target demographic for Parkway Drive, but this track has a lot going on in very short time intervals, and the attack on the modified Grados is just sensational : bass punch with enough resolution that none of the emotional energy is lost, and that's what I look for in my music. The stock 60s arent as in-your-face and the bass just isnt as physical : it might not be RS1 quality, but its addictive nonetheless.

 

I'm sure others have tracks that their Grados really shine on, and my AD900 does a better job with things like instrument separation and tighter bass, but for sub-$100 cans with a few small changes, the BV60i blows my tiny mind. I cant think of another pair of cans in the same price bracket that even comes close, although I do miss my ES7s.

 

Edit : forgot to mention that my rig is very modest - MSII into D4 : hardly high-end, and exactly the same gear that I plug my other phones into. If its placebo, its industrial strength.


Edited by estreeter - 3/26/11 at 11:13pm
post #2519 of 5003


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post


...... And I want to do everything possible to make a closed pair of Grados. I know people said it can't be done well, but I'll have a whole summer with a lathe or drill press and a craft store nearby. I'll probably need two SR60's. If I'm lucky, there will be some cheap ones on eBay, since I can barely afford one new pair. And I used to have a friend that competed in chess tournament, and he said they were basically the worst thing ever created, especially those..

 

Ish...My first foray into the world here were some closed cans sort of...I took some SR125's and did all the mods up to the point of replacing the shells and came up with these:

100_0859.JPG

See the foam where the grills used to be,??  I actually took the grills out of the shells in one piece with the logo buttons in tact, I found some thin foam that was used in Some Sony cans I was trying to mod - it was being used as a grill cloth on the Sony's. So I took this thin foam and cut it size to fit inside the shells with a bit of overlap to make sure the entire screen was covered. I put the foam in first and then the screen with the button in next in behind and up against the foam kind of pushing the center of the foam out a bit making that nice symetrical bump. i took them with me like that into the hospital where I was admitted into Moss-Rehab and stayed about a month, everybody that heard them thought they were the best sounding headphones they had ever heard and I was in total agreement with them. The Cocobolo shells arrived and I took that same foam out and put it in the new wood shells up against the nice metal mesh screen Bill had put in for me:

100_0902.JPG

 

 This shows the inside of the shell with the foam put in behind the metal mesh screen--it makes the bass tight and punchy like closed cans but retains the airy quality that makes Grado's Grado's.

Look closely and you see the foam inside the shells up against the metal screen mesh.

 

BialGradoeclein 4.0.jpg

 

100_0894.JPG

post #2520 of 5003

Hey I need some advice on my SR80i. I'm debating over bowl pads or flat pads as there many people that favors one or the other (or both but I can only choose one). I like the sound of my Grado SR80i right now with the simple reverse quarter mod on the stock comfies. Which pad would be best to further enhance that sound and refine it? I'm thinking the flats would be the answer, but I want to make sure. I will use the SR80i exclusively for most of my rock music from indie/alternative to metalcore/hardcore if that helps. I am also going to replace the plastic housing with wood ones from Bill here, and damp the back of the driver but I'm not going to vent it. Thanks for any advice!


EDIT: Also, how would the Jumbo pads compare with the flats and bowls?


Edited by sysfail - 3/27/11 at 12:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked