or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 159  

post #2371 of 5003

Yep. I'd like a look under the hood.

post #2372 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

 

1. Consensus among many tube owners is that 'cheap' and 'tube amp' are mutually exclusive - we get what we pay for.

2. Common sense says that, even with Chinese labor, they *had* to take a few shortcuts to be able to offer this amp at that price. The Mk2 looks fantastic - no question - but its whats under that impressive hood that matters.

 

I'm going to spend some time looking for reviews, but my hand remains firmly on my wallet at this point in time :)


 

It is not a cheap amp and no corners have been cut. The amp is designed and distributed out of Canada by the amps designer and company owner Garry. They use quality Alps pots, Nichicon/Panasonic caps, point to point wiring, high quality OPT's and power supply transformer. Drop by the Musical Paradise Forum and check out the MP-301 thread I started there. Garry drops in regularly to answer  questions. On a side note, I'm not a fan of the MP-301 MK II's looks as I prefer the hardcore look of the MP-301 MK I. See pics:

 

 

 

frontIMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

MP bottomIMG_4934.JPG

 

 

And check this Head-Fi review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/421314/review-musical-paradise-mp-301-tube-headphone-speaker-amp

 

Bill.


Edited by Big Bill - 3/21/11 at 7:24pm
post #2373 of 5003

@sharkz and mcgsxr

 

so putting lubricant on the wood doesnt help at all? but ill be using almost mahogany all the way. im still looking for more indigenous wood with pleasing attributes tonewise. 

 

@eclein

 

thanks kind sir! i feel like an RS1 owner already! that amp is very tempting but i dont wanna take the hassle of ordering from outside SEA.

 

@bilavideo

 

tip 1, sounds complicated and theoretically is the best solution. 

 

tip 2, youre making me think of using uhmmm "burst-fire mode" instead of steady drilling until the desired depth is achieved. makes perfect sense.

 

tip 3, that would take time! hahaha i got burns when i accidentally grabbed the holesaw right after drillling. dayuum!

 

tip 4, i dont have a brace. i just dont finish cutting through the outer hole so the cups are still attached to the wood plank. i use my feet to keep it still.

 

tip 5, yes the inner layer is hard to work with. without sanding the cups fit the driver without having to shim the rims. 

post #2374 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post

 

 

frontIMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

MP bottomIMG_4934.JPG

 

 

And check this Head-Fi review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/421314/review-musical-paradise-mp-301-tube-headphone-speaker-amp

 

Bill.



*drool* i hate far from civilization! 

post #2375 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post



 


 

It is not a cheap amp and no corners have been cut. The amp is designed and distributed out of Canada by the amps designer and company owner Garry. They use quality Alps pots, Nichicon/Panasonic caps, point to point wiring, high quality OPT's and power supply transformer. Drop by the Musical Paradise Forum and check out the MP-301 thread I started there. Garry drops in regularly to answer  questions. On a side note, I'm not a fan of the MP-301 MK II's looks as I prefer the hardcore look of the MP-301 MK I. See pics:

 

 

 

frontIMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

MP bottomIMG_4934.JPG

 

 

And check this Head-Fi review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/421314/review-musical-paradise-mp-301-tube-headphone-speaker-amp

 

Bill.


nice price. Good parts too, but they definitely aren't losing money on that one. Seems really modable too.

 

/derailment

 

post #2376 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post

 Seems really modable too.

 

 

They are, Ed and I have both done the famed "snip" mod.


Edited by Big Bill - 3/21/11 at 8:01pm
post #2377 of 5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrywild View Post

Those look exactly like my HD414 pads. I used a black clothes dye (dylon but not the industrial multipurpose one). I failed to get them black and they just came out in that olive drab colour exactly

 

This is the only pic I can find, I had more.

 

Revision.JPG
 

 

Is that engineering homework I spot there? Or just advanced math? I don't miss those days.

 

It is entirely possible to dye those pads dark as night. I used RIT liquid dye, some salt, vinegar, then gave them a nice washing with some detergent after. Just make sure you use a tiny bit of water. keep it as warm as possible, and let them soak for over an hour. After more than a month I have had no running of dye or fading at all.

 

I can take some pictures of mine tomorrow. Might also post a pic of my mostly finished Purpleheart cup. Not feeling now, beat physically and mentally after a hockey game.

post #2378 of 5003
Thread Starter 

My goodness, this thread has grown.  When I checked, it was ranked 36th in the number of total views and 14th in the number of replies.  Who would have thought a thread about modding your SR60 would go this far?

 

post #2379 of 5003

...and when can anybody write a some sort of Grado Prestige Mod Compendium?

post #2380 of 5003

I thought this WAS the compendium !!!!!!!!

 

Er, moving on ..... the addition of bowl pads to my BV60i, a decent tube amp and the smooooth sounds emanating from my MSII could well see me die and go to heaven. Failing that, I'll just buy the %&#! Ms-Pro and spend the rest of my days cursing everyone in this thread :)

post #2381 of 5003

i hate everyone of you who has a tube amp for their modded gradoes! grrr...

 

blink.gif

post #2382 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-fiber View Post

i hate everyone of you who has a tube amp for their modded gradoes! grrr...

 

blink.gif

Don't have the mods, don't have a tube amp, don't even have a solid state amp. Mods are coming, but the amps... I kinda want to get my tube amp stereo project going more than some tubey grados. But I need new speakers as well so that's a rather expensive project compared to just a hp tube amp.

But back to he point, you're not alone here I'm jealous that bill had 3 m3s in his amp inventory list the last time I looked at it, and I'm not a ss fan. If these weren't 32ohm I'd say we should all be OTLing everything and avoiding ics and PCBs like the plague. I say the vintage look should only be paired with vintage technology. I may be alone in that regard, but that just makes me feel better, more individual. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2383 of 5003

were can i get the cheapest woodies for my SR-60?

 

i have checked JMoney, although they look awesome i want something more clean.

post #2384 of 5003


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post


Don't have the mods, don't have a tube amp, don't even have a solid state amp. Mods are coming, but the amps... I kinda want to get my tube amp stereo project going more than some tubey grados. But I need new speakers as well so that's a rather expensive project compared to just a hp tube amp.

But back to he point, you're not alone here I'm jealous that bill had 3 m3s in his amp inventory list the last time I looked at it, and I'm not a ss fan. If these weren't 32ohm I'd say we should all be OTLing everything and avoiding ics and PCBs like the plague. I say the vintage look should only be paired with vintage technology. I may be alone in that regard, but that just makes me feel better, more individual. smily_headphones1.gif


hiyeah! OTL tube amps for 32ohms are rare! i agree with you that vintage look should go with vintage technology... id love to go all-tube all the way just to satiate the audiophile craze!

 

if i have the time i will refurbish that HMV gramophone with 2x 3W amps might be good for these gradoes.

post #2385 of 5003

@Darkenss

 

maybe bilavideo has some?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked