Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/13/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/22/10
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 3/1/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/22/10
- brandWoodiestagged by System, 3/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- SR60-Mod part II Last post on 12/12/15 at 7:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones do you have, and what do you still want? Last post on 10/8/13 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :) Last post on 11/14/12 at 5:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I missing something? Last post on 10/19/11 at 9:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
SR60-Mod - Page 137post #2041 of 50033/8/11 at 8:33am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2042 of 50033/8/11 at 9:23am
Very Zebrawood-like. That was my only disappointment, the lumber yard I visited was out of Zebrawood. Some guy had claimed it all for a very good looking bar surface.
It almost looks like those tasty black and white swirled brownies.....post #2043 of 50033/8/11 at 10:30ampost #2044 of 50033/8/11 at 11:21am
Well, it looks really sweet, but it is hard to mill well - it "checks" when you mill it down to 3/8 thickness or so, I had to make 3 cups to get 2... I will sand them and dremel the cable spot another day, I am tired of this stuff for now. It does have a nice vanilla and chocolate swirl thing going on though, I will try them out and see how they sound vs East Indian Rosewood.post #2045 of 50033/8/11 at 1:19pm
I feel your pain. I had to make three Padauk cups to get two, although my third is still good. Better than the day before when I made five and could use none. Even the Purpleheart, I made two and am not sure one will be usable due to some cracking. I guess such is the nature of the work.post #2046 of 50033/8/11 at 3:02pmThread StarterOriginally Posted by Big Bill
Hello gang, emboldened by Bilavideos recent basket mod I chose to follow suite. However instead of drilling additional holes in the basket as Bill did, I chose to simply enlarge the existing holes (from the stock .116” diameter to .193” by “hand” drilling using successively larger drill bits).
Well, aren't you a clever son of a !@#!#!!!
Nice job, Big Bill. I'll bet they sound awesome! Tell me if they do, because if they do, WE'VE GOT ANOTHER MOD!!!!!!!post #2047 of 50033/8/11 at 3:47pmpost #2048 of 50033/8/11 at 3:56pm
I found that 4 holes in each side made a nice difference, 6 holes was perfect with the bowl pads, and 10 holes can be a little loose, but I am hoping it is perfect for the bagel pads, if they ever show up. I would start with 4 per side, then reassemble with tape or blu tack, and test. Using the stock comfies, 4 holes is very nice.post #2049 of 50033/8/11 at 4:34pm
Thank you sir! I'd have gone wider, however the blades of the drill bit were all but scraping the Mylar at the drivers edge @ .193" diameter. They do indeed sound amazing post mod and I believe this mod is a must for any one who has fully liberated their drivers. My thinking here is that once the forward resistance supplied by the factory grill/wave guide is removed, the balance of resistance between front/rear of the diagram becomes skewed and needs "adjusting".post #2050 of 50033/8/11 at 5:11pm
After venting 2 holes I seem to be noticing some boominess on certain bass frequencies. Sounds like the cup is resonating. Have you guys noticed this? I can't compare to how they used to sound, but I never noticed a trace of boominess before with my grados...post #2051 of 50033/8/11 at 5:24pm
Well, I wrecked a driver. I don't know how it happened. I was careful during my recable and have checked all my connections twice and my right driver is dead. I am so freaking mad right now. I wish I knew what I did wrong.post #2052 of 50033/8/11 at 5:27pmpost #2053 of 50033/8/11 at 6:03pmpost #2054 of 50033/8/11 at 6:15pm
No, must have melted/broke something. No idea how, I was very careful with low heat and everything. I have soldered and unsoldered the other driver like 5x now with issues with it. I am really annoyed though.
If anyone has an extra driver to spare, please PM me. I am interested in getting another as soon as possible!post #2055 of 50033/8/11 at 6:42pmThread Starter
It has taken me three readings to get to what you are saying. On my first two readings, I thought you were telling him what a fool he was to vent the drivers. Instead, as I now see it, you are saying what I am saying, that Grado uses the felt to suppress the boominess that would occur with plastic housings. The real culprit here is the plastic housing. Plastic sucks. Change to wood or aluminum and life gets better.
This thread is locked
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 4 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 1 minute ago
- › Help me choose wisely!!! Momentum m2 (wired) vs hd25-1 II + dt770... 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 1 minute ago
- › Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › B&W P7 alternatives 3 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear