Thanks for all the great info Bilavideo. Punching holes in the fabric behind the driver on my SR-325is put the finishing touch on my mods. I went with 4 holes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/13/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/22/10
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 3/1/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/22/10
- brandWoodiestagged by System, 3/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- SR60-Mod part II Last post on 12/12/15 at 7:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones do you have, and what do you still want? Last post on 10/8/13 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :) Last post on 11/14/12 at 5:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I missing something? Last post on 10/19/11 at 9:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/21/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
SR60-Mod - Page 14post #196 of 50039/16/10 at 9:34pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 50039/18/10 at 11:04amThread Starter
Thanks, man. I've been away for a few days but I'm going to show you the latest in a project I'm completing.
That's cool! I love it when somebody comes back and confirms that the venting mod really works.
UPDATE - I started making grills. I hadn't done this before and was looking for just the right mesh when I ended up using the screen off of one of my windows (I'm in trouble again).
My first attempts involved the use of the drill press, which made perfect circles. The problem was that it also created a hole in the center from the drill bit, which leads out ahead of the hole saw. This, I suspect, has some connection to Grado's original idea of covering the center with a button. Why else would anybody put an obstruction in the center of a vent?
Using decent scissors, I was surprised at how easily the metal grill yielded to cutting by hand.
I used the center cut-outs from making the shells as molds. This allowed me to give structure to the screen and give it more body. Instead of being pasted flat against some flat outer disk, these fit nicely within the shells as they are. I like the shape. It's not as bulbous as some I have seen, but it gives the screen a nice body to it.
With this approach, the screens make a sharp fit to the shells, and without the need of a top-layer desk to hold them in.
In this picture, you can see the additional work I need to do to fix up the shells and spruce up the wiring, but that's fine. I'll get there. In the meantime, I've got grills I really like.
Edited by Bilavideo - 9/18/10 at 11:07ampost #198 of 50039/18/10 at 11:31ampost #199 of 50039/18/10 at 12:06pmpost #200 of 50039/18/10 at 1:28pmpost #201 of 50039/18/10 at 1:42pmThread Starter
I modded these for a (very patient) friend who said he didn't want the silver wire, since the 225i comes with the four-connector cable, but on my other projects I'm going to make silver a mainstay. I can't convince everybody that this is good stuff but I just love it. I feel like I've walked into a debate between silver fanatics and silver skeptics, with the fanatics giving testimonials over the benefit of their $500 cables and the skeptics laughing at $500 wire. For $50, I made my own four-braid 99.99% silver cable and it was the best $50 I ever spent. If it cost me $500, I'd choke and sputter, too, but what's $50 in this hobby?post #202 of 50039/18/10 at 1:48pmpost #203 of 50039/18/10 at 1:52pm
By gaw those are pretty. They've gone beyond the 'mod' look and are now looking like products you might sell. Sure they're a bit rough around the edges, but it adds to the rustic charm.
Dammit, I need some Grados.post #204 of 50039/18/10 at 2:17pm
I just removed the cloths from the front of the drivers, vented the drivers, and placed non-drying clay all over
the chambers to help with resonant problems... on my SR-80--and i'm AMAZED. I'm listening to Radiohead's
Kid-A right now... bass is amazingly more open, there's more soundstage, and its so much more intimiate.
I looooooooooooooooooooooooooove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!post #205 of 50039/18/10 at 6:59pm
i just finished reading through this entire thread and i have to say this is amazing work... the progression of your projects, leading up to the most recent 'candied' wood versions + custom mesh grills is incredible.
great stuff in this thread, subscribing. keep up the amazing work!post #206 of 50039/18/10 at 7:55pm
You're totally insane! I love it. When I saw that screen actually still in the window with a big rectangle cut out of it I almost lost it. Lmao! They look great and they're coming along nicely.post #207 of 50039/18/10 at 8:58pmpost #208 of 50039/19/10 at 10:58amThread Starterpost #209 of 50039/19/10 at 3:46pm
I just killed a driver on my 80i,unsoldered the wires to the driver to install Jaben metal ps1000 cups resoldered the wires no sound on one driver.
This thread is locked
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 10 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 53 seconds ago
- › WANTED: SBooster / BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V 56 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours) 2 minutes ago
- › The first person to listen to the HD 598 CS Closed Back 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear