or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 130  

post #1936 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintkeat View Post

How many of you actually experienced an improvement by removing the white linen on the front?
I'm going to do the dampening of the magnet but not the foam/felt on the inner shell, since I'm not venting the drivers.. I'm quite hesitant to vent the drivers since it's irreversible..
Zebrawood cups coming soon =D

I noticed it, though it's the only change I've made other than the quarter mod (though I made mine too big - more like toonie mod frown.gif ). You can even pop the linen back in front temporarily if you do the quarter mod to experiment and hear the difference.
post #1937 of 5003

So I am no audiophile, and I have been looking at my new Grado SR60i and I have been trying to read through all of these feeds, but I know over time, ideas change and new things come out of this. So my question is, for someone that has no access to  silver cabling or wood casing, what are the best mods to give me the best sound?

post #1938 of 5003

There may be other ideas, but my thoughts on how best to get the best sound out of the 60's with the least dough, would be to remove the white cloth from the front of the front cup, punch some (4-6 holes) holes, and buy some bowl pads.  Should cost you about $20 for the pads.  The rest is just mustering up the guts to do it!

post #1939 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintkeat View Post

How many of you actually experienced an improvement by removing the white linen on the front?


 

 

I certainly did, enough of one to realize that the less there is between you and the diaphragm the better! Here, see what I mean..........

 

 

 

IMG_5154.JPG

 

post #1940 of 5003

Alright boys and girls, my new leather headband has arrived!

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5141.JPG

 

IMG_5143.JPG

 

IMG_5146.JPG

 

IMG_5150.JPG

 

 

 

Bill.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by Big Bill - 3/24/11 at 9:03pm
post #1941 of 5003

^ Those look great. Do you have any idea if he'll ship to the UK? Or maybe I could get one through you? I'll PM you anyhow, I definitely would like one those. Perhaps a bit wider though, to help deal with these extremely heavy alumium cups.

 

 

I began work on my Jaben cups today, the pics show the story. I'm teaming up with Bill to turn these into budget PS1000 knock-offs hehe. He's going to build me some cocobolo inners for these shells, I'm excited about how they will sound afterwards. As they are now, with jumbos, I just know that some cocobolo in there is going to absolutely rock.

 

Jaben1.jpg

Jaben2.jpg

Jaben3.jpg

Jaben4.jpg

Jaben5.jpg

post #1942 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post



 

 

I certainly did, enough of one to realize that the less there is between you and the diaphragm the better! Here, see what I mean..........

 

 

 

IMG_5154.JPG

 


Would you please share how you did this? I've been itching to do something similar, and what you've done is way better than what I could scrap together.

 

Also, PM sent about the leather headband.

post #1943 of 5003

Big Bill- PM sent about the leather headbands...very cool stuff. Very cool..!!! Call me sometime when you get free..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold006287 View Post

So I am no audiophile, and I have been looking at my new Grado SR60i and I have been trying to read through all of these feeds, but I know over time, ideas change and new things come out of this. So my question is, for someone that has no access to  silver cabling or wood casing, what are the best mods to give me the best sound?


arnold006287- I'm no audiophile either but when i started doing these my onl thought was to do a couple things and then quit and listen, well that didn't happen. I would suggest you do these....

 

1) Linen off

2) I got the large earpads from headroom...they are like  $20 and make the Grado's very comfortable to wear a long time.

3) Take the cups apart thats where you'll get big improvements with no cost or very small cost...I used a hairdryer and heated them, pulled, heated, pulled and you'll eventually heat them enough where they will pull apart its not that hard and keep in mind thats the hardest thing just about.

4) Poke the holes- I started with 4 now at all 10

5) Dynamat- THIS is the reason to crack open the shells, the dynamat takes the edge off the high end, it smooths everything out. Its not taking anything away it just making them easy to listen to and the ear fatigue factor is lowered to like 1....Do the holes, do the Dynamat if you can,,,guy on here may have extra bits of it laying around, thats how I got mine.

 

 Those would be the biggest improvement...the earpads and the dynamat are the only expense....keep following this thread and see if anybody offers up some.....

Have fun...thats key!!!

 

 

post #1944 of 5003

felt a little itchy, took the linen off with my art knife... i hear what everyone was talking about now.... god i hope my cups come quick cos the sibilance is even more apparent now.... gotta do the dynamat thing and pray it controls the highs... overall nice presentation though.. feels more like a live performance rather than a studio..

 

post #1945 of 5003

Dynamat is your ticket Saintkeat!!!! Its the most underated mod..subtle but exactly what the doctor ordered for ya i think..let us know..!!!!!!!!!

post #1946 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintkeat View Post

felt a little itchy, took the linen off with my art knife... i hear what everyone was talking about now.... god i hope my cups come quick cos the sibilance is even more apparent now.... gotta do the dynamat thing and pray it controls the highs... overall nice presentation though.. feels more like a live performance rather than a studio..

 


1. Dynamat cuts sibilance.

2. Wood cuts the rest

 

in my experience.

 

post #1947 of 5003



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post




Would you please share how you did this? I've been itching to do something similar, and what you've done is way better than what I could scrap together.

 

Also, PM sent about the leather headband.



Hello Bob, I'd be glad to share how I did it with you! First, I liberated the driver and grill from the plastic shell as seen here by Bilavideo except I used a small flat head screwdriver instead of the steak knife. Then I liberated the grill from the driver using the same small flat head screwdriver using the same method. One you have the grill piece free from the driver cut from hole to hole on the outer row with a small pair of dyke's. That will remove the majority of the old grill from the remaining "ring". You can then use a Dremill tool or rounded file and clean up the edges. Then simply cut some screen/grate type material to size and secure it to the ring with super glue. Next paint your new grill with a few light coats of Plasti-Coat brand spray paint and you're done! ;)

post #1948 of 5003


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post

Alright boys and girls, my new leather headband has arrived!

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5141.JPG

 

IMG_5143.JPG

 

IMG_5146.JPG

 

IMG_5150.JPG

 

 

This headband was hand crafted from quality leather by a skilled leather artist I had the fortune to meet here locally. After I told him of Bilavideo and his merry band of modders, he said he would make as many of these in any tint (he mixes his own dye) as we want for only thirty dollars each! I am not affiliated with him in anyway other than a satisfied customer and since I’m unsure of the rules regarding this sort of thing, you should probably drop me a PM for his contact information if you are interested…….

 

Bill.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Very nice Bill... Your man did a great job and the color really plays well with your cups....... L3000.gif Keep going

post #1949 of 5003

I will enjoy mine as it will match up nice with my color scheme...Thanks Big Bil!!!

post #1950 of 5003

everything looks good that everyone is doing.............. man i cant wait to get my shells. might just have to drive down to florida smile.gif. im like a kid at Christmas waiting to open my presents.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked