Hi bila, thank you for this thread, it gave me the confidence to mod my SR80s and I am absolutely amazed at how different they sound. I changed the grill with brass mesh and it looks fantastic, put three holes through the vent and stuck a thin bit of blu-tac to the back of the driver and chaned the pads and woah! So much more bass, and the brightness almost completely tamed, they are like completely new cans. Because of how successful (and fun!) these cheap mods were I've decided to splash out on some cardas star-quad and see how things change. I'm really excited! :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/13/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/22/10
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 3/1/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/22/10
- brandWoodiestagged by System, 3/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- SR60-Mod part II Last post on 12/12/15 at 7:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones do you have, and what do you still want? Last post on 10/8/13 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :) Last post on 11/14/12 at 5:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I missing something? Last post on 10/19/11 at 9:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I had the privilege of giving a listen to these beauties through work, and let me tell you, I'm thankful for it. I'll go through the gamut on this and tell you about packaging, comfort, sound,...
I am by no means an audiophile nor do I call myself one. My experience with quality audio products is very limited and so is my vocabulary on this topic. That being said I took a pair of these...
Full review can be found at: https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-high-res-player-review/ Rating The NO BULL rating system is designed to take as many aspects of the device into...
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
SR60-Mod - Page 114
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1697 of 50032/24/11 at 2:51pmpost #1698 of 50032/24/11 at 2:56pmpost #1699 of 50032/24/11 at 3:41pmThread StarterOriginally Posted by wallace
If it's alright with everyone i would like to propose a big THANK YOU to Bill,before he goes into full self destruct mode. Allot of us are getting more enjoyment from our Grados than we ever thought possible thanks to his inquiring and fearless approach to modding.I would never have thought of attacking mine with a Biro.Lord knows where he will end up,but he seems to be having fun getting there.Best thread on the forum award.!!.??
Thanks, Wallace! What a difference a day makes. I was feeling pretty low last night, but I think part of it was my health. I may have caught something. I felt so much of my strength sapped yesterday. I couldn't get anything right. I'm the same guy today, but feeling a little better (I stayed home from school and look at all the trouble I got myself into).
Which brings me to this:
We're still finding our way, but I think we're getting closer to Grandma's house.post #1700 of 50032/24/11 at 3:57pmpost #1701 of 50032/24/11 at 4:15pmThread Starter
If I can do it, you can do it. Don't look now but I think I just did it.
But hey, it's just an SR60!
It doesn't hurt that I had help. Meet Son of Bilavideo, or as I like to call him My Young Apprentice (muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha).post #1702 of 50032/24/11 at 4:17pmpost #1703 of 50032/24/11 at 4:20pmQuote:That is pure sweetness Bill. How did you end up attaching the gimbal around the alumininum shell? It looks like some sort of screw.
Keep em' coming!
Alpost #1704 of 50032/24/11 at 5:08pmpost #1705 of 50032/24/11 at 5:19pmpost #1706 of 50032/24/11 at 5:28pm
this is my first attempt at moding and turning wood cups for my sr-80s. made from myrtle wood purchased from rockler her in socal. i'm open to any suggestions what so ever.
i'm not certain if i want to liberate the drivers from plastic.
the cups depth is little under 2"
the thickness is 1/8"
the cups outer diameter is 2.5"
the.. bevel/ring..? is 2 1/4"
i vented the the drivers and grill cloth as mentioned from bilavideo.
thanks in advancepost #1707 of 50032/24/11 at 5:36pm
I am currently rolling pads. Got my Sennheiser pads in today. Pads currently in stock: Comfies (quarter modded), Bowls, Stock Sennheiser, Sennheiser Flats (1.3" hole, 8 .3" slits radially).
So far the "Flats" are winning in terms of sound quality to comfort ratio. The Comfies are by far the most comfy (big surprise), followed by the Stock Senns, Flats, and Bowls. I just can't do the bowls with my glasses (which is before bed, when I do most of my listening). Even after 3 or so years, they haven't softened up that much.
The Flats really don't feel that bad so far. Need more time, but hey, if they get too uncomfortable, I have 2 pairs of more comfy pads to switch to. The only issue now is getting them dyed black. The 70's yellow clashes with my nice wooden shells. It looks great with the black plastic, not so much with wood.post #1708 of 50032/24/11 at 9:00pmpost #1709 of 50032/24/11 at 9:56pm
This thread is locked
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 37 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › NEED HELP: Replacement Earpads for Plantronics Backbeat Pro (1st Gen) 1 minute ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › The Playstation 4 Pro is Out! 2 minutes ago
- › AKG's new K872? 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Parrot Zik 1.0 Dimensions? 3 minutes ago
- › New Dignis XSette X7 leather case 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by jasonwdonnelly
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by JonnyA
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear