New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 108  

post #1606 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by hi-fiber View Post

no, i think i wont be buying premade ones... i live in the far reaches of the galaxy.

 

i bought some short lengths of lumber from the local woodworker, some mahogany and other indigenous woods.

 

ill hire somebody with sculpting skills to do the works. 


That's awesome.  I hope you go for it and post your creations here.  It's amazing how many people have jumped in and put their own personal stamp onto their Grados - sometimes with results you just couldn't buy out of a pizza box.

post #1607 of 5003

bilavideo-did you get the silver braid from homegrown? is that what you've been referring too? 

post #1608 of 5003

Just Modded my sr60i's... Simply amazing.

 

Thanks Bilavideo 

gs1000.gif

post #1609 of 5003

great work! do you have the dimensions for these?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesrfun1 View Post

i'm sorry if you mentioned this all ready in your thread, but where did you get your ear pads. do you think they'll fit on sr-80s? 




Which pads? All Grados have the same mounting for pads though so ignore the specific model and focus solely on whether they fit Grados.


 



post #1610 of 5003
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by kitesrfun1 View Post

bilavideo-did you get the silver braid from homegrown? is that what you've been referring too? 


In the past, I've gone to Homegrown Audio for my silver.  They used to sell a four-wire braid of 99.99% silver core 24 awg wire for $12/foot, allowing me to run a four foot cable from Heaven for all of $50 plus shipping.  Unfortunately, there has been a spike in silver hoarding, as a hedge against inflation, driving up the price of silver.  Right now, HGA is selling the same cables for $30/ft, which was a deal-breaker for me.

 

I switched to buying bare silver wire, just before the spike, and got some silver from a source in Taiwan.  It took forever to reach me and I still have to coat it but that's the most feasible alternative for the time being.  I suspect that many will stick with copper and simply double the wire by using CAT5 cable.  Once you strip away the outer sheath, you've got four twisted pairs of 24 awg wire, doubling your copper and cutting your impedance in half.  Running an eight-conductor cable of the stuff, you can definitely hear a difference, particularly in the bass.

post #1611 of 5003

You could of course try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Silver-9999-Stranded-Wire-29AWG-Teflon-Audio-Cable-/110536892795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc83217b#ht_7130wt_905

 

It's nice and thin and as a plus: it's stranded. Sleeve this in some nylon and you have a killer cable.

post #1612 of 5003

I am using cryo'd Mogami starquad and a Vampire 1/4 to replace the cable on my 60's, work should be done in early March.

 

This AM I bought some 1 inch indian rosewood and african blackwood, for my 2nd attempt at DIY cups.  I initially used bubinga, but at 1.75 inch depth, it was WAY too deep a cup, and unless I use the flat pads, I don't get what I want.

 

I am using a 2 inch hole saw for my ID, and a 2.5 inch hole saw as my OD.  I can say that the 2 inch is slightly too large to press fit the plastic cup the driver is still in, and the mix of the two does not give a chunky thick walled rear cup, but for exploring it is fine.

post #1613 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatN View Post

You could of course try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Silver-9999-Stranded-Wire-29AWG-Teflon-Audio-Cable-/110536892795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc83217b#ht_7130wt_905

 

It's nice and thin and as a plus: it's stranded. Sleeve this in some nylon and you have a killer cable.



woah thats a lot cheaper.

post #1614 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgsxr View Post

I am using cryo'd Mogami starquad and a Vampire 1/4 to replace the cable on my 60's, work should be done in early March.

 

This AM I bought some 1 inch indian rosewood and african blackwood, for my 2nd attempt at DIY cups.  I initially used bubinga, but at 1.75 inch depth, it was WAY too deep a cup, and unless I use the flat pads, I don't get what I want.

 

I am using a 2 inch hole saw for my ID, and a 2.5 inch hole saw as my OD.  I can say that the 2 inch is slightly too large to press fit the plastic cup the driver is still in, and the mix of the two does not give a chunky thick walled rear cup, but for exploring it is fine.

Do you mind if I ask where your source of the Mogami wire is since I live in Canada as well?

 

Al

 

post #1615 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGunn View Post

Just Modded my sr60i's... Simply amazing.

 

Thanks Bilavideo 



Pics please

 

gs1000.gif

post #1616 of 5003

I think I'm going to try doing this... Got plenty of Cat5 cable lying around.

All I need now is some brown shoelaces (to match the brown J$ headbank) and some heatshrink and I'm good to go...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post


In the past, I've gone to Homegrown Audio for my silver.  They used to sell a four-wire braid of 99.99% silver core 24 awg wire for $12/foot, allowing me to run a four foot cable from Heaven for all of $50 plus shipping.  Unfortunately, there has been a spike in silver hoarding, as a hedge against inflation, driving up the price of silver.  Right now, HGA is selling the same cables for $30/ft, which was a deal-breaker for me.

 

I switched to buying bare silver wire, just before the spike, and got some silver from a source in Taiwan.  It took forever to reach me and I still have to coat it but that's the most feasible alternative for the time being.  I suspect that many will stick with copper and simply double the wire by using CAT5 cable.  Once you strip away the outer sheath, you've got four twisted pairs of 24 awg wire, doubling your copper and cutting your impedance in half.  Running an eight-conductor cable of the stuff, you can definitely hear a difference, particularly in the bass.

post #1617 of 5003

Cat5 is stiff, just to let you know.

post #1618 of 5003

Take 5 Audio sells Mogami 2534 for $1.69 a foot, or cryo'd for around $2.09 a foot.  For the 6 feet I wanted, I figured the cryo'd was the way to go, just for kicks.  Shipping for the wire and the 1/4 plugs ran around $7, so not unreasonable, but good to bulk up your order.  VERY fast shipping, I had the items in 2 days.  They are also in ON, but not that close to me.  Great guys, I have bought wire from them in the past when I built up a DIY power cable years ago.

 

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=87&cat=Mogami

post #1619 of 5003

I may try two cables, one with 4 and one with 8 conductors and see. Do you think 4 x 24awg is too small or there shouldn't be a problem.... But at this point is it any better than the stock Grado cable?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatN View Post

Cat5 is stiff, just to let you know.

post #1620 of 5003

Thanks mcgsxr,

 

I actually hit this site a couple of days ago.  I was thinking about picking up the cryoed cardas cable.  I wonder what the differences would be in sq.

 

Cheers,

Al

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked