where did you get that mesh? I seriously cant find any good mesh.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/13/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/22/10
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 3/1/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/22/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/22/10
- brandWoodiestagged by System, 3/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- SR60-Mod part II Last post on 12/12/15 at 7:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- What headphones do you have, and what do you still want? Last post on 10/8/13 at 9:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :) Last post on 11/14/12 at 5:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I missing something? Last post on 10/19/11 at 9:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Grado Head With A Fostex Fetish Last post on 8/1/12 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer: I would like to thank Fiio very much for providing me with the opportunity to review the X5 iii. This review is part of Fiio’s tour, there is no monetary incentive for a positive...
Yet again (with several more to soon follow), I find myself owing a great deal of thanks (and at this point...
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
SR60-Mod - Page 81post #1201 of 50032/1/11 at 8:36pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1202 of 50032/1/11 at 8:53pmYou can get mesh from partsconnexion.com, homegrownaudio.com. Actually a lot of places have it. Just look for mesh tubing.
And about the wire, yes thicker could be better, to an extent. For example, if you somehow manages 0AWG to some Apple Earbuds, they would still suck. You can only improve to an extent, after which you are just adding weight. So for phones, you likely want to keep it relatively small (18AWG max... and that's pushing it) to keep it flexible.post #1203 of 50032/1/11 at 8:57pm
At least get some silver, maybe a few feet of silver, a few of copper and braid your own?
or get the 4x braid like I plan to hahahahaha.post #1204 of 50032/1/11 at 9:08pm
K guys, working out a price sheet, anyone got links to the plugs for the cable, like the...I have no idea what its called the headphone jack? I got the price of the cable, couldn't find headshrinke*if anyone knows a good place to buy it my local hardware store BLEWS* and the wooden/metal cups....because those were just damn sexy.post #1205 of 50032/1/11 at 9:20pmWhat kind of jack? The little 3.5mm, or a full 1/4" one? Or something using XLR? Mouser has all of those.
Tubing is everywhere if you want the basic 2:1 polyolefin stuff. Better stuff can be found at a lot of nicer stores. Partsconnexion has a lot, and they have the mesh tubing too.
There are plenty of other options for buying, but I know both of those places have those things you've mentioned.post #1206 of 50032/1/11 at 9:23pm
I was just looking, I couldent find the mash, like to go on the back of hte can at either sight you said, and I dont need tubing for the wire, I just need some Heatshrink for the jack and the Y split, and yea the 3/4th inch jack I seriously cant find one and even if I don I dont know if its good.post #1207 of 50032/1/11 at 9:43pmpost #1208 of 50032/1/11 at 10:14pm
yea, I was saying I dont think I need the mesh tubeing I'm looking for a mesh screen for the vent on the phones. I found that on amazon hahaha.post #1209 of 50032/2/11 at 2:17amQuote:Originally Posted by BizFromQC
Hey Chris, those really look nice.
Do you mind telling me (and commenting on the use of) the two different Y-Splits you are using? The one from the 325 and the one from the 60...
I'm also trying to find locking collars for the cup posts (attached to the headband) locally but without any luck... Anyone know where I can find some online that will ship to Canada of better yet, willing to sell me a couple :-)
EricQuote:Originally Posted by ccklone
Since I was taking photos, here is my woodied SR325 (s/n 936) conversion with the Bilavideo mods. I received these woodied 325s in a trade. The cups I believe are walnut, but one side had a split. I repaired the split with epoxy. Not pretty but solid. The headphones had been re-cabled SE with some good quality copper, so I kept that. I re-terminated with a Neutrik 4-pin XLR. I punched all 10 holes with my old Palm Pilot stylus, works perfect. I damped the driver and the plastic cup with Dynamat. Removed the screen as well. Using some gimbal locks with rubber washers. Got a pair of jumbo pads and they sound great. I am using them balanced at the moment thru my Opus DAC and A-GD Roc. Very wide soundstage, good bass impact and smooth trebles, it's all good 8^).
I bought a pair of old SR60s a while back and re-cabled with Mogami_mini-quad W2893 terminated with a 1/8" Switchcraft plug. Then starting reading this thread. I have done all the same mods except that I used felt instead of Dynamat, I am going to replace the felt with Dynamat. It sounds better I think. I got these walnut wood cups in the same trade for SR325s. Both cups were split and again epoxy is your friend. Not pretty but very functional. I am using a Beyer headband. These are for portable use primarily.
The SR60s sound close to the SR325s. I think I will get even closer when I swap out the felt on the SR60s with Dynamat.
Thanks for all the info and inspiration in this thread. These pair of Grados sound better than I could have imagined. I am throughly enjoying them.
hey where did you guys get that headband piece from in the bottom pics? looks comfy
post #1210 of 50032/2/11 at 5:29am
The mesh I used : http://www.mcmaster.com/#9230t522post #1211 of 50032/2/11 at 7:37amQuote:
It is a Beyerdynamic replacement headband for a DT770 on their website. It cost around 20 bucks with shipping. I just sent off my extra one to Zach aka BobSaysHi. they are pretty comfy compared to the plastic band on the SR60.
I was directed to Headroom for a J$ pad and just bought one for my SR325s. I just checked out the website, they say they are sold out. I must have gotten the last one 8^).
Chrispost #1212 of 50032/2/11 at 7:47ampost #1213 of 50032/2/11 at 12:21pmpost #1214 of 50032/2/11 at 12:24pm
This thread is locked
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion 36 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 2 minutes ago
- › SOLD!!! Price drop - iFi iDSD Micro for sale (Silver) 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze Sine with 24-Bit Cipher Lightning Cable & Extras 4 minutes ago
- › Wireless gaming headsets as good as Fidelio X1 ? 5 minutes ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/MISC Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by peter1480
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear