or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 74  

post #1096 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

Oh no! You're wearing them backwards... or you put them in the opposite way (L on the headband, and the right side of your head)

And how thick (depth of the wood) are those cups? I'm looking at some 15/16" C-bolo, and was wondering what that's going to get me.


The picture is backwards - or I've lost it again.  Either is possible.  Dimensions:  2 3/4", 2", 1 5/8" (outer shell, mid-shell groove, inner wall).  The shells are 1 1/2" thick.

post #1097 of 5003

And after venting those drivers? ^ ^

 

Sweet looking cups Bill - Chocobolo!

post #1098 of 5003

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

First of the New Shells

 

Photo on 2011-01-27 at 21.33 #2.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-27 at 21.33 #3.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-27 at 21.48.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-27 at 21.47.jpg



This makes me waiting for my Cocobolo cups easier.... NOT! LOL

post #1099 of 5003

Regarding the specs of wire used, for anyone intending to recable their headphones I'd suggest not using anything more than 22AWG, 24AWG seems to be pretty good. I have a 4 braided 20AWG wire on my headphone, and the headphone cable is not... exactly pliable. I don't know how to describe it properly, but it coils in a certain way and doesn't move like a headphone cable should, because of the cables being too thick, hence not easy to use on headphones

post #1100 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslayer View Post

Regarding the specs of wire used, for anyone intending to recable their headphones I'd suggest not using anything more than 22AWG, 24AWG seems to be pretty good. I have a 4 braided 20AWG wire on my headphone, and the headphone cable is not... exactly pliable. I don't know how to describe it properly, but it coils in a certain way and doesn't move like a headphone cable should, because of the cables being too thick, hence not easy to use on headphones



Ok good to know, I think I recabling my Grados might be my next setup up to recabling my AKG's or Ultrasones haha.

post #1101 of 5003

Awesome Bill!!!!!!!

post #1102 of 5003

Bill, I think you have done an amazing job, and you should give yourself a pretty solid pat on the back. Sooo.... what are you gonna do next month ??

 

Darren

dgcrane

post #1103 of 5003

I was thinking something not wooden, and a little more budget minded, since I can get a igrado for around $30.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Bill,

 

I know this is a bit off topic, but did you ever have any other ideas for making a headband for the igrado?  Considering having one for more portable use, the Cocobolo 60s have the gentle life at home...I can see a galvanized steel wire as the headband frame, but what would you fabricate to make it fit to the ear parts


KimChee, that's not a problem.  I (or anybody with the time to do it) can fabricate a rod block similar to what Grado uses, but out of fine wood.  It would look classy and get the same job done.  Once I've made the new shells, I intend to make some blocks and some rod toppers as well.  I'll keep you posted.

post #1104 of 5003

Damn these headphones are getting so good I'm starting to hear background noise/vibrations/static in in my lower quality mp3's

post #1105 of 5003

Well, I broke a driver.   I had pried it free of the driver housing and was in the middle of gingerly pulling it up and out of the can when the part on the driver where the white stuff lives and is attached to the sodering points, came out.  And those super fine wires headed into the coil of the driver are gone. So, now im down a set of cans.  And I can honeslty say that I am not happy.  Its no-ones fault but my own I guess.  However, its always hard to listen to the wife say, I TOLD YOU SO!

 

Man, I am so bummed right now.  Everything else had went swimmingly.... frown.gif

 

Ok, note to self, next time, just worry about air chambers, and screw the driver chambers. 

post #1106 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narynan View Post

Well, I broke a driver.   I had pried it free of the driver housing and was in the middle of gingerly pulling it up and out of the can when the part on the driver where the white stuff lives and is attached to the sodering points, came out.  And those super fine wires headed into the coil of the driver are gone. So, now im down a set of cans.  And I can honeslty say that I am not happy.  Its no-ones fault but my own I guess.  However, its always hard to listen to the wife say, I TOLD YOU SO!

 

Man, I am so bummed right now.  Everything else had went swimmingly.... frown.gif

 

Ok, note to self, next time, just worry about air chambers, and screw the driver chambers. 


Dude, that sucks. You might be able to 

 

A) Buy a new driver

or

B) Sell your working driver and buy a new set of headphones

 

Either way, it's not the end of the world. Plus, now you can practice on the broken driver so that you do it perfectly next time.

post #1107 of 5003

Yea, its ok.  Im glad i didnt decide to do something like this to my 325i's.  Oh well.  I will be getting another set of SR-60's with my tax money.  And I know that I am going to get the bowls on them, but I think I am done messing with the driver housing.  Everyrthing else was a cake walk in comparison, and to be honest, when I saw bila's video of him tearing at that for 9 minutes, I should have basically said,  "yeah...  BLANK that."  Its a shame though, I was really thinking making a wood driver housing for the alum shells on those 325's would have created a really unique sound.  Oh well.  I guess when these sr-60's are done with, i can button mod the 325's vent em, and be done with it.  Removing the driver just seems to be unbridaled hate.  Its so hard to do, and really, I had a much easier time of it than Bila did on his video.  And if something so strange can happen on the first go, I really can't say that I would do it a second time, or even recommend it to anyone else who is thinking of moving forward.  Every other set in this thread is awesome and is easy to do.  But those getting the speakers out of there... probally not for the faint of heart, or those willing to take a what seems to be good chance at breaking their cans, reguardless if they are sr-60 on up the line.  If I had just a blank driver I could pop in, now THAT would be a different story all together.

post #1108 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by Narynan View Post

Well, I broke a driver.   I had pried it free of the driver housing and was in the middle of gingerly pulling it up and out of the can when the part on the driver where the white stuff lives and is attached to the sodering points, came out.  And those super fine wires headed into the coil of the driver are gone. So, now im down a set of cans.  And I can honeslty say that I am not happy.  Its no-ones fault but my own I guess.  However, its always hard to listen to the wife say, I TOLD YOU SO!

 

Man, I am so bummed right now.  Everything else had went swimmingly.... frown.gif

 

Ok, note to self, next time, just worry about air chambers, and screw the driver chambers. 


What kind of driver did you break?  Did you break one or both of the drivers?

post #1109 of 5003

Broke the wire come out of the voice coil.  So its junk at this point.  And I only broke the one, the other one is still good.  Until I dig it out as well....very_evil_smiley.gif

 

Yep saecond one came out fine.  So its basically a 50/50 shot.  And im still not betting speakers on those odds.

post #1110 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narynan View Post

Yea, its ok.  Im glad i didnt decide to do something like this to my 325i's.  Oh well.  I will be getting another set of SR-60's with my tax money.  And I know that I am going to get the bowls on them, but I think I am done messing with the driver housing.  Everyrthing else was a cake walk in comparison, and to be honest, when I saw bila's video of him tearing at that for 9 minutes, I should have basically said,  "yeah...  BLANK that."  Its a shame though, I was really thinking making a wood driver housing for the alum shells on those 325's would have created a really unique sound.  Oh well.  I guess when these sr-60's are done with, i can button mod the 325's vent em, and be done with it.  Removing the driver just seems to be unbridaled hate.  Its so hard to do, and really, I had a much easier time of it than Bila did on his video.  And if something so strange can happen on the first go, I really can't say that I would do it a second time, or even recommend it to anyone else who is thinking of moving forward.  Every other set in this thread is awesome and is easy to do.  But those getting the speakers out of there... probally not for the faint of heart, or those willing to take a what seems to be good chance at breaking their cans, reguardless if they are sr-60 on up the line.  If I had just a blank driver I could pop in, now THAT would be a different story all together.



I'm wondering if a dremel to the outer plastic shell to weaken it would be better than prying on the inside? Maybe not even a dremel some wire cutters should do it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked