or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 72  

post #1066 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Bill,

 

I know this is a bit off topic, but did you ever have any other ideas for making a headband for the igrado?  Considering having one for more portable use, the Cocobolo 60s have the gentle life at home...I can see a galvanized steel wire as the headband frame, but what would you fabricate to make it fit to the ear parts


KimChee, that's not a problem.  I (or anybody with the time to do it) can fabricate a rod block similar to what Grado uses, but out of fine wood.  It would look classy and get the same job done.  Once I've made the new shells, I intend to make some blocks and some rod toppers as well.  I'll keep you posted.

post #1067 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 19.21 #3.jpg

 

For anybody who wants to duplicate this shell, I used three drill saws: 2 3/8", 2" and 1 5/8".  The idea is to build a ring with dimensions between 1 5/8" and 2 3/8" and then to create a groove with a 2" saw that allows the plastic inner to be inserted directly into the wood.

 

Bill those look awesome, how far away are you from cracking the code on a wooden inner?

 

 

Edit: and maybe a wooden outer to hold the grill screen?


I've had wooden inners for some time now, but last night, I used a similar method to create a slotted wooden inner where the driver drops in like a quarter.  

 

Here's the traditional version I made:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54 #2.jpg

 

Here's the new-and-improved inner shell:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #3.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #4.jpg

 

What I know about carpentry or woodworking wouldn't fill a TV Guide, but I'd always heard that there's a certain coolness factor in having parts that simply slide in or pop onto one another, so I'm thrilled that this much is working out.  Instead of shimming or gluing everything into place, the pieces simply fit.  That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to glue up afterwards, but there's something cool about having the parts lock together on their own.

post #1068 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #4.jpg

 

What I know about carpentry or woodworking wouldn't fill a TV Guide, but I'd always heard that there's a certain coolness factor in having parts that simply slide in or pop onto one another, so I'm thrilled that this much is working out.  Instead of shimming or gluing everything into place, the pieces simply fit.  That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to glue up afterwards, but there's something cool about having the parts lock together on their own.


Hehe, very cool. I wish I could convince my father that we need a drill press.

post #1069 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 19.21 #3.jpg

 

For anybody who wants to duplicate this shell, I used three drill saws: 2 3/8", 2" and 1 5/8".  The idea is to build a ring with dimensions between 1 5/8" and 2 3/8" and then to create a groove with a 2" saw that allows the plastic inner to be inserted directly into the wood.

 

Bill those look awesome, how far away are you from cracking the code on a wooden inner?

 

 

Edit: and maybe a wooden outer to hold the grill screen?


I've had wooden inners for some time now, but last night, I used a similar method to create a slotted wooden inner where the driver drops in like a quarter.  

 

Here's the traditional version I made:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54 #2.jpg

 

Here's the new-and-improved inner shell:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #3.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #4.jpg

 

What I know about carpentry or woodworking wouldn't fill a TV Guide, but I'd always heard that there's a certain coolness factor in having parts that simply slide in or pop onto one another, so I'm thrilled that this much is working out.  Instead of shimming or gluing everything into place, the pieces simply fit.  That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to glue up afterwards, but there's something cool about having the parts lock together on their own.

Just curious, when you rehouse the drivers themselves, where does the driver magnet and stuff go? from you picture it just looks like it's a loose diaphragm

post #1070 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

What I know about carpentry or woodworking wouldn't fill a TV Guide, but I'd always heard that there's a certain coolness factor in having parts that simply slide in or pop onto one another, so I'm thrilled that this much is working out.  Instead of shimming or gluing everything into place, the pieces simply fit.  That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to glue up afterwards, but there's something cool about having the parts lock together on their own.


Well your light years ahead of me, I couldnt fill a thimble. I agree though if you can craft it in such a way that the pieces fit together and and interlock that you will end up with a better fit and finish and perhaps more importantly something that sounds good. I've really been enjoying my cocoblo cups btw, I cant thank you enough. I think the next step though is a wooden inner for the drivers. Eliminate as much plastic plastic as possible. That's the principle behind the Magnums that were mentioned earlier. The other advantage of fabricating a wodden inner is fabricating it to accomodate a different earpad. Something that finds that sweet spot between the bowls and the jumbo's. I wonder if anyone reading or contributing to your thread has any thoughts on earpads?

post #1071 of 5003



 

Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 19.21 #3.jpg

 

For anybody who wants to duplicate this shell, I used three drill saws: 2 3/8", 2" and 1 5/8".  The idea is to build a ring with dimensions between 1 5/8" and 2 3/8" and then to create a groove with a 2" saw that allows the plastic inner to be inserted directly into the wood.

 

Bill those look awesome, how far away are you from cracking the code on a wooden inner?

 

 

Edit: and maybe a wooden outer to hold the grill screen?


I've had wooden inners for some time now, but last night, I used a similar method to create a slotted wooden inner where the driver drops in like a quarter.  

 

Here's the traditional version I made:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54 #2.jpg

 

Here's the new-and-improved inner shell:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #3.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #4.jpg

 

What I know about carpentry or woodworking wouldn't fill a TV Guide, but I'd always heard that there's a certain coolness factor in having parts that simply slide in or pop onto one another, so I'm thrilled that this much is working out.  Instead of shimming or gluing everything into place, the pieces simply fit.  That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to glue up afterwards, but there's something cool about having the parts lock together on their own.



Would you be willing to share some of the specs on those new cups?  Do you have measurments for those new cups?  How much of a lip did you give them?  What size hole did you drill?  Blah blah blah.  The devil is in the details.

 

Thanks Bila!

post #1072 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

I wonder if anyone reading or contributing to your thread has any thoughts on earpads?


Ditto. I figure that in a couple months, a "perfect" pair of pads will be decided upon.

post #1073 of 5003

Hey, thanks for the info!  I poked around deeper into the thread around page 50 or so, and found the videos he posted on youtube, that cleared that up.  The ball point he used gave me exactally the idea of what I was looking for.  Kind of a visual learner in that respect.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcrane View Post

You do have to be somewhat careful when you vent and you don't want to just stick a screw driver through unless you know what you are doing exactly. The best way IMO is to use a ballpoint pen due to the gradual increase in thickness meaning you cannot poke too far. I believe this method was explained by Bill somewhere as well... I tried it poking four holes and it worked flawless.

dgcrane

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narynan View Post

Love this thread thanks for all the info guys.  I do have a question though...

 

Venting.  From looking at the pictures in Page 1 from Bilavideoin the time to vent section, it seem like you just take a small phillips screw driver and pop a hole into the foam to create the vent.  This also seems like that after getting the cups open, and then just shoving something through to vent the hole I would be causing damage to the driver / speaker.  Is that the case?  The picture dont show 1) How to punch the hole 2) whats one the other side of the hole and how careful we havwe to be. 

 

Would anyone be willing to clarify this for me?


 
post #1074 of 5003

Planet Of Sound on Bank Street in Ottawa.

(don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to their website but just google it).


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt45 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by BizFromQC View Post
Had I known I was going to mod it I may have looked for a SR-60i instead but I don't regret my purchase at all, the 80i is a great pair of headphones smily_headphones1.gif I got the bowl pads for 30$CAN locally too... I tried the quarted mod on the comfies but I really prefer the bowls over the comfies.

 

 

If you don't mind, where did you get the bowl pads from? I like my ms1's sound but I can't stand the "comfies" pads, makes my ears all itchy. 

post #1075 of 5003

I found these while browsing Head-fi today. This guy apparently has a CNC mill (drool) and has been making custom grilles for LCD2's out of all forms of exotic woods. Here is what he has been doing with Grados.

 

http://picasaweb.google.com/auahlap/Grado

 

That should keep everyone busy for a while.

post #1076 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 19.21 #3.jpg

 

For anybody who wants to duplicate this shell, I used three drill saws: 2 3/8", 2" and 1 5/8".  The idea is to build a ring with dimensions between 1 5/8" and 2 3/8" and then to create a groove with a 2" saw that allows the plastic inner to be inserted directly into the wood.

 

Bill those look awesome, how far away are you from cracking the code on a wooden inner?

 

 

Edit: and maybe a wooden outer to hold the grill screen?


I've had wooden inners for some time now, but last night, I used a similar method to create a slotted wooden inner where the driver drops in like a quarter.  

 

Here's the traditional version I made:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.54 #2.jpg

 

Here's the new-and-improved inner shell:

 

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #3.jpg

Photo on 2011-01-26 at 22.55 #4.jpg

 

What I know about carpentry or woodworking wouldn't fill a TV Guide, but I'd always heard that there's a certain coolness factor in having parts that simply slide in or pop onto one another, so I'm thrilled that this much is working out.  Instead of shimming or gluing everything into place, the pieces simply fit.  That doesn't mean it's not a good idea to glue up afterwards, but there's something cool about having the parts lock together on their own.


Both ingenious as well as beautiful, fantastic work bill! (:

post #1077 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

FinishedCable.jpg

THE SILVER MAFIA RULES!!!!

 

I hate to admit I was wrong.  I hate to admit the hype was real - or at least based in something other than a love of jewelry.  I thought after copper, I couldn't love another, but silver is amazing.  The presentation is more open.  Little details pop.  The bass is tight.  All hail superior conductivity!  I'm impressed!

 

Right now, I'm listening to Bob Marley's Three Little Birds and the bass is both kicking and more articulate.  I never realized Guns N' Roses' Welcome to the Jungle was such a textured, detail-driven track.  When I die, I want to live in those guitar riffs.  The Fixx's Changing is so crisp, it's hard to believe I'm listening with comfies on.  On Weezer's Freak Me Out, the first verse sounds like this, "City streets at night [cough] can be so intimidating . . . " (I never heard it before.)  The slam on The Cars' Night Spots is like a baseball bat to the skull.  Kiss's Cold Gin sounds practically live.  Avenged Sevenfold's Dear God is mellow but sparkly.  The Clash's "All The Young Punks" is practically holographic.  Grado grit meets the HD800's floating tracks.  Michael Jackson's Human Nature doesn't miss that odd electronic xylophone track hovering over the track.  Dolla's Feelin' Myself comes complete with that sandpaper squish.  You can hear somebody call out at the beginning of Journey's Dead or Alive.  The guitar plucks on Godsmack's Serenity just pop, as does a fret slide I had never heard before some 34 seconds in.  Devo's Working in the Coal Mine has a more palpable echo to its in-studio reverb.  On One Republic's Apology, the cellos just resonate.  Ozzy Osbourne's Mr. Crowley not only shook me with that opening organ but I was again surprised by the illusion of soundstage - on a Grado!  

 

Oh momma.



how dose one do this...........I must learn.

post #1078 of 5003

Nice progress Bill, we're all holding our breaths here for more feedback. I was about to repost the pics but I think that's enough by now!

post #1079 of 5003

Bill, those cups are works of art. I'm almost afraid of what you'll be turning out once you get used to working with a lathe.

 

I can't afford to join the silver mafia, but because I'm bored, I want to recable my SR60 and make a few interconnects (to connect my monitors to my laptop and such). Whats a good place to get the cable from? Do i just go with Canare L-4E6S Star Quad? I can't even tell if thats copper or not. Where can I get a nice high-quality copper braid from?

post #1080 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

FinishedCable.jpg

THE SILVER MAFIA RULES!!!!

 

I hate to admit I was wrong.  I hate to admit the hype was real - or at least based in something other than a love of jewelry.  I thought after copper, I couldn't love another, but silver is amazing.  The presentation is more open.  Little details pop.  The bass is tight.  All hail superior conductivity!  I'm impressed!

 

Right now, I'm listening to Bob Marley's Three Little Birds and the bass is both kicking and more articulate.  I never realized Guns N' Roses' Welcome to the Jungle was such a textured, detail-driven track.  When I die, I want to live in those guitar riffs.  The Fixx's Changing is so crisp, it's hard to believe I'm listening with comfies on.  On Weezer's Freak Me Out, the first verse sounds like this, "City streets at night [cough] can be so intimidating . . . " (I never heard it before.)  The slam on The Cars' Night Spots is like a baseball bat to the skull.  Kiss's Cold Gin sounds practically live.  Avenged Sevenfold's Dear God is mellow but sparkly.  The Clash's "All The Young Punks" is practically holographic.  Grado grit meets the HD800's floating tracks.  Michael Jackson's Human Nature doesn't miss that odd electronic xylophone track hovering over the track.  Dolla's Feelin' Myself comes complete with that sandpaper squish.  You can hear somebody call out at the beginning of Journey's Dead or Alive.  The guitar plucks on Godsmack's Serenity just pop, as does a fret slide I had never heard before some 34 seconds in.  Devo's Working in the Coal Mine has a more palpable echo to its in-studio reverb.  On One Republic's Apology, the cellos just resonate.  Ozzy Osbourne's Mr. Crowley not only shook me with that opening organ but I was again surprised by the illusion of soundstage - on a Grado!  

 

Oh momma.



how dose one do this...........I must learn.


There are vendors online who will sell you silver core wire.  I went to Homegrown Audio, which sells it in bulk or braid.  I chose braid since doing so does the work for me.  I went for a four-wire braid, two strands of which were in white teflon while the other two strands were in clear.  It cost me $12/ft but for a little less than $50, I got four feet (more than enough to connect to my iPod).  There's a $10 charge for shipping and a plug will cost you $5, but for $65, I got an awesome four-braid cable.  All I had to do was solder and I was good to go.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked