Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1 - Page 36

post #526 of 607



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-gd View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

Why not get the DI for the NFB-1, it's only $60 more over the built-in version?



For one, the additional I2S input capability on the digital board. One might be able to tap wires to it and connect the I2S output from a DAP. This is of course provided Audio-gd has fixed the I2S / Sabre32 clock issue.


The problems is on the ES9018 , while it accpet the I2S, it had very rigorous request the I2S signal because its I2S input pots are without the master clock input.

I asked an engineer work for  another manufacturer, he said in their gears , the I2S input will change to SPDIF then feed to the ES9018.

So I don't think the ES9018 can support I2S input as well.

But we have find the way to fix this problems. 

 The ES9018 must need  the input master clock and built in a master clock selector can automatically choice between the I2S master clock and the 80MHz main clock.
 

Hi,

 

Would the use of the M2Tech usb/rca key avoid that problem or it has nothing to do ???? (Maybe I misunderstand this....)

 

Denys

 

post #527 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-gd View Post




So I don't think the ES9018 can support I2S input as well.But we have find the way to fix this problems.
 





Just get Twisted Pear Audio's USB/I2S module on release and reverse engineer it biggrin.gif
post #528 of 607

Oppo 83SE uses Sabre DAC

 

 

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83se/

post #529 of 607

The DAC is one small part of the system that gives good SQ.

post #530 of 607

Yes but isnt the Oppo is the one that converts the USB digital signal from I2S to SPDIF to feed the ESS dac?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradoman View Post

Oppo 83SE uses Sabre DAC

 

 

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83se/

 

post #531 of 607

huh USB input is for reading data files (including audio) plug in USB HD and reads them on FAT16/32 partition.

post #532 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Personally, I've seen a lot of I2S talk in the last couple of years and, as far as I'm concerned, it's a complete waste of time even contemplating. If you're going to connect digital devices externally, use a BNC connection.


 

It depends on the expertise of the manufacturer. Some have mastered the USB/I2S interface that exceeds the capabilities of any BNC/Coax. Think Centrance based products, Wavelength Audio, Lavry, etc. Anyway, on a very good DAC and a decent digital connection, it shouldn't really matter (in theory at least).


Edited by gevorg - 11/19/10 at 8:17pm
post #533 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

The DAC is one small part of the system that gives good SQ.


The DAC is more than a small part of your audio system.

post #534 of 607


I think he was referring to the DAC Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

The DAC is one small part of the system that gives good SQ.


The DAC is more than a small part of your audio system.

post #535 of 607

I agree with IpodJ as far as a headphone system is concerned.  A good headphone amp has distortion levels so small compared to a speaker amp to be boderline negligable.   In the DAC a good powersupply and analog section should be fairly transparent.  This leaves the DAC chip,  and the filter for R2R chips.  For headphones, in my experience the majority of the sound signature comes from here (if everything else is done corrrectly without shortcuts.)   Of course not counting the headphones themselves as they obviously play the largest part.

post #536 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFn-0 View Post


I think he was referring to the DAC Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

The DAC is one small part of the system that gives good SQ.


The DAC is more than a small part of your audio system.


 

Yes, I meant the chip.
 

post #537 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

 In the DAC a good powersupply and analog section should be fairly transparent.  This leaves the DAC chip,  and the filter for R2R chips.  For headphones, in my experience the majority of the sound signature comes from here (if everything else is done corrrectly without shortcuts.)   


I agree with your statement if there is a good powersupply. But what is good enough? The power supply does have an impact on the sound signature of a DAC chip. In particular with Delta/Sigma designs. If the power supply is not enough decoupled between sections and channels, or not fast enough, it will often result in uneven mid-highs and colored lows.  

Thats what I like so much about the Audio-GD product line. In particular now with the newest Wolfson and Sabre additions. You choose a particular dac technology, and then just make a choice how good a powersupply you want to have.

post #538 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

I agree with IpodJ as far as a headphone system is concerned.  A good headphone amp has distortion levels so small compared to a speaker amp to be boderline negligable.   In the DAC a good powersupply and analog section should be fairly transparent.  This leaves the DAC chip,  and the filter for R2R chips.  For headphones, in my experience the majority of the sound signature comes from here (if everything else is done corrrectly without shortcuts.)   Of course not counting the headphones themselves as they obviously play the largest part.


Actually I was referring to the entire DAC unit, not just the chip.  But hey, whatever works. :)

post #539 of 607

I listen to the NFB 1 before and after run in.

 

before run in, I thot audio-gd had a bad product, the sound has digital edges and sound compressed.

 

after run in, I got a shock, the sound has become smooth, detail, dynamic and more bass. my this really fit what kingwa describes. for the first time, I listen to vocal of my chinese opera cd (ling ge) for so long.

post #540 of 607


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-gd View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

Why not get the DI for the NFB-1, it's only $60 more over the built-in version?



For one, the additional I2S input capability on the digital board. One might be able to tap wires to it and connect the I2S output from a DAP. This is of course provided Audio-gd has fixed the I2S / Sabre32 clock issue.


The problems is on the ES9018 , while it accpet the I2S, it had very rigorous request the I2S signal because its I2S input pots are without the master clock input.

I asked an engineer work for  another manufacturer, he said in their gears , the I2S input will change to SPDIF then feed to the ES9018.

So I don't think the ES9018 can support I2S input as well.

But we have find the way to fix this problems. 

 The ES9018 must need  the input master clock and built in a master clock selector can automatically choice between the I2S master clock and the 80MHz main clock.
 


What is the problem with the I2S exactly?

 

While interfacing a Musiland device to the Buffalo DAC, I experienced dropouts with I2S. The drop outs went away after increasing the DPLL bandwidth. One would think it is because of jitter. The funny thing is that with SPDIF input, you can use the lowest DPLL bandwidth setting with no drop outs whatsoever.

 

The same problem (drop outs in I2S and no drop outs in SPDIF) has been reported for the TI PCM2707-based TPA USB interface and also the Teralink USB interface. The only reported exception is the HiFace.

 

I have programmed the chip where I can select the bandwidth of the DPLL, so for me it is easy as I just turn a knob, but it can also be done automatically by detecting lock errors and backing out on the dpll bandwidth setting until no lock errors are experienced.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1