Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1 - Page 4

post #46 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSai View Post

I have just started to use DAC-19 DF for less than 2 months. It's very tempting to get this one. What the heck should I do?


You have an SE amp, so there's no point in getting a balanced DAC I'd say. 

post #47 of 607

OK, I was reading more on this DAC and I saw this on the page:

 

      The NFB-1 is without USB input, because our Digital Interface product has USB input and sounds much better than the built-in USB interface would sound. A built-in USB interface costs USD40, but now we offer a special promo price, if you purchase our Digital Interface and NFB-1 together, the Digital Interface promo price is only USD100 (Version B).

 

I'm a little cynical but c'mon, that's just a reason to sell more USB Digital Interfaces that have already been produced.

 

Why not just remove USB from future iterations of the Ref 5. Or the Dac 19 since the digital interface is 'better'.

 

Wonder if Kingwa will install the USB interface in the NFB-1 instead of trying to sell the Digital Interfaces.

 

Not to say that I'm not keen on the NFB-1.

post #48 of 607

Might have something to do with his logic when it comes to high-end gear.  When I first bought my Reference 1, I asked if he could install an optical input.  He absolutely refused, as he didn't want to add anything that would degrade the sound on his best DAC.  He later relented for someone else though.   Back when we first discovered him, he didn't have any USB DACs at all! The low-end DAC-100 had coax and optical (IIRC) and his high-end DACs were coax input only. When I asked him about AES and whatnot, he said he'd measured the lowest jitter from BNC, followed by RCA and the highest with AES and optical, so used the first two. From that, I imagine his reasoning is, why would you buy a good DAC then choose to connect it in the least sonically beneficial way?

post #49 of 607


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_low View Post




Any updates?

 

What are the odds of a second revision of this being brought out within months of the original? I'm tempted...but don't want a new version to replace this in a short time. :-)

 

I sent him an email the same day I saw this. No reply just yet, if no response after Monday I'll send my email again. I also asked him what sort of audible differences were between the old and new motherboard, and 5 vs 4 group psu.

 

 

Quote:

I'm a little cynical but c'mon, that's just a reason to sell more USB Digital Interfaces that have already been produced.

 

Why not just remove USB from future iterations of the Ref 5. Or the Dac 19 since the digital interface is 'better'.

 

Wonder if Kingwa will install the USB interface in the NFB-1 instead of trying to sell the Digital Interfaces.

 

He would likely do it if you asked him enough, he might be less keen on adding toslink as well because it would then require either a digital input switch which may degrade SQ, or else a good amount more circuitry/money (compare ref 7 single input price and multiple input price). There's a few reasons why you may prefer the usb input in a separate box, but for convenience' sake and lower price, usb input inside the dac may be preferable.

 

I like your suggestion to offer single input versions of dac19 and ref 5, and eventually phasing out multiple input dac's.

post #50 of 607

My Singaporean upbringing insists that we have everything included. In this case, I'd like USB but can live without the kitchen sink! :-)

 

Many DACs, heck, most DACs offer multiple inputs. So to offer something single-input would be for purists only I'd imagine. Or something done on special request.

 

I like having USB there. It works in a pinch. As most of my audio is PC based, it's convenient. I do now have the M2Tech Hiface so it isn't so much an issue BUT I'm sure there are many out there who do use USB as their primary input.

 

If I do preorder, I might ask Kingwa if he'll include USB.

post #51 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_low View Post

OK, I was reading more on this DAC and I saw this on the page:

 

      The NFB-1 is without USB input, because our Digital Interface product has USB input and sounds much better than the built-in USB interface would sound. A built-in USB interface costs USD40, but now we offer a special promo price, if you purchase our Digital Interface and NFB-1 together, the Digital Interface promo price is only USD100 (Version B).

 

I'm a little cynical but c'mon, that's just a reason to sell more USB Digital Interfaces that have already been produced.

 

Why not just remove USB from future iterations of the Ref 5. Or the Dac 19 since the digital interface is 'better'.

 

Wonder if Kingwa will install the USB interface in the NFB-1 instead of trying to sell the Digital Interfaces.

 

Not to say that I'm not keen on the NFB-1.

He stated to me that the DI sounded much better than the built in USB (to him). Buying the DI with the Ref-5 (or any other) only costs about $60 (or less) more with the combo discount and the lesser cost of the DAC without USB input. If you're spending $700-1500, $60 is a non issue to me. It would seem he is moving in this direction- possibly eliminating the USB input on DAC's and providing the DI as a USB option (at least I think he should).
 


Edited by tim3320070 - 8/22/10 at 6:35am
post #52 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post




You have an SE amp, so there's no point in getting a balanced DAC I'd say. 



Thanks Curra for cool me down instead of turn me on!

post #53 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSai View Post





Thanks Curra for cool me down instead of turn me on!


Its just planning for the future though! :P

post #54 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSai View Post

Thanks Curra for cool me down instead of turn me on!

 

We are here to help, not hype, I hope. 
 

post #55 of 607

I admit I just want more people to buy it so I can get impressions of it.  Anything from Audio-gd is a pretty safe bet however.  I feel that my Ref5 Dac is the best I have heard, and feel no need to get his new dac unless it is some kind of masterpiece.  In all fairness I will be buying more gear to try out in the near future and letting people know what I think about it. 


Edited by TigzStudio - 8/22/10 at 7:35am
post #56 of 607

Could someone help a newbie out? I´m planning to get this DAC (Sabre32 hooray!), and will probably be using the Violectric V200 as the headphone amp. It has an XLR input, but outputs via the standard 1/4" headphone jack (single ended). Will the DAC´s abilities be wasted with this amp? Should I get a Violectric V181 (balanced output via 4pin-XLR) instead? I´m having a very hard time trying to decide, since the V200 is otherwise superior to the V100 which the V181 is based on. I´d also have to get my custom cable modded again... This balanced vs single ended thing is quite confusing :)

 

(In case someone is wondering, the headphones used are the HD800)

post #57 of 607

I would vote go for the v181, I own it and love it.  For solid state it nearly matches sonics of my Stacker II + a tad more width on the soundstage.  Or wait for Violectric to release the v282 balanced version of v200 (wont be for quite a while however).

 

On the v181 you will need the 4-pin connector on balanced phones or dual mono, however you can also change a jumper inside and use standard 1/4" TRS unbalanced headphones as well.  

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrln View Post

Could someone help a newbie out? I´m planning to get this DAC (Sabre32 hooray!), and will probably be using the Violectric V200 as the headphone amp. It has an XLR input, but outputs via the standard 1/4" headphone jack (single ended). Will the DAC´s abilities be wasted with this amp? Should I get a Violectric V181 (balanced output via 4pin-XLR) instead? I´m having a very hard time trying to decide, since the V200 is otherwise superior to the V100 which the V181 is based on. I´d also have to get my custom cable modded again... This balanced vs single ended thing is quite confusing :)

 

(In case someone is wondering, the headphones used are the HD800)


Edited by TigzStudio - 8/22/10 at 11:02am
post #58 of 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigzStudio View Post

I would vote go for the v181, I own it and love it.  For solid state it nearly matches sonics of my Stacker II + a tad more width on the soundstage.  Or wait for Violectric to release the v282 balanced version of v200 (wont be for quite a while however).

 

On the v181 you will need the 4-pin connector on balanced phones or dual mono, however you can also change a jumper inside and use standard 1/4" TRS unbalanced headphones as well.  

 


 


 


Thanks for the input! Have you heard the HD 800 via the V181 yet? I´m just wondering how much they improve with balanced setups in general. The V200 is technically speaking very different from the V100-series, so it´s a very interesting comparison. Either way, if I´ve understood correctly nothing in the DAC should go to "waste" even if I go for a V200 in the end? Decisions, decisions!

 

(EDIT)

 

PS: I´ve also pre-ordered the NFB-1 along with a Digital Interface. Will be able to provide impressions from a non-experienced "upcoming" audiophile´s point of view. I´ll be doing comparisons to the NuForce HDP, from which I´m upgrading. This´ll be my first Audio-GD product, so it´s all very exciting! :)


Edited by vrln - 8/22/10 at 11:39am
post #59 of 607

Any opinions on whether or not I should get this DAC over the Oppo BDP-83SE?

 

I do not have a balanced amp now, but I plan on either building or saving up for a 4ch Beta 22 next year.

 

Should I get the DAC now, and be ready for the B22 when it arrives, or just sell both my current amp and the oppo when I can get the beta 22 for a new, more recent balanced source?

post #60 of 607

Personally, I would get the Oppo BD-80 (or similar priced quality BD player) for movies and the AGD DAC for music/movies.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1