Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. . - Page 12

post #166 of 601

20101029002512.jpg

 

 

 

 

Here's another one to compare with items of different sizes.

 

 

20101029003031.jpg

post #167 of 601

The battery is Li  ion, which doesn't need to be cycled to have full charge capacity...

post #168 of 601
Thread Starter 

I have read that they do need to be cycled a few times to reach full capacity. I use li ion in my cameras, and it definitely proves true with them. In the D12, I also found this to be true. 

post #169 of 601

Configuration tips for Mac users...

 

Neither the USB nor the optical inputs handshake to establish optimal output frequency automatically.  This is not good, because the audio driver in the mac will have to resample, and that ALWAYS creates errors and artifacts.  So for optimal listening you either have to switch the setting in the midi control when your music sample rate changes, or develop another approach.   

 

If all your media is off CDs or iTunes you only have one sample rate, so it's a big don't care.  But I have some very nice 24/96 flac, and about 13,000 44.1K lossless tunes, so I'm switching a lot.  

 

Solution?  Set the built-in output to 24/96 which will force all output over the optical to be 24/96, and set the USB output to 16/44.1.  Simply use USB for most listening and only plug in the optical and for HD.  This is probably ideal for most people as we need the USB to charge, and so it probably is usually plugged in.

 

Works like a champ. I verified the output over optical was 24/96 and the USB must be correct as it can't handle 24/96.  

 

The included optical cable worked pretty well, with occasional dropouts so I switched to a flexible glass fibre cable.

post #170 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I have read that they do need to be cycled a few times to reach full capacity. I use li ion in my cameras, and it definitely proves true with them. In the D12, I also found this to be true. 



Hi Jam...   No, that's not correct.  There's no memory, and in fact full cycling is somewhat bad for the battery (so don't run it all the way down to maximize life...)

 

From Battery University:

 

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life.. ...is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

 

Edit: Not sure why your camera experience differs, but it doesn't follow the engineering background for the technology that I've seen...


Edited by mrspeakers - 10/28/10 at 6:48pm
post #171 of 601

LoveAndHonor, this might be slightly unrelated to thread topic but how portable do you find your Ipods with the D12 and Pro 900s are? I am looking to eventually get a similar setup, and i have almost saved up enough for the Pro 900s. After that I think I will try to get the Ibasso Toucan and glean the benefits of balanced circuitry. I am very excited by you descriptions of the Pro 900s sound!

post #172 of 601
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post





Hi Jam...   No, that's not correct.  There's no memory, and in fact full cycling is somewhat bad for the battery (so don't run it all the way down to maximize life...)

 

From Battery University:

 

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life.. ...is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

 

Edit: Not sure why your camera experience differs, but it doesn't follow the engineering background for the technology that I've seen...



Yes you are correct on the deep discharge. In practice I find that li ion need to be used a few times before they get to their full potential. I use a multitude of camera batteries for my different Canons and Leica, which all use li ion and from that I have a better feel for what they do than even the amps. When I get X amount of images on a new battery and then with the same shooting it increases, with this happening time after time with new batteries, experience has taught me that they do improve. This is also the findings of many other photographers. I know the battery has no memory, with is a great thing but as far as current storage, my experience is validated by images shot from new and used li ion batteries and less so with amps. 

post #173 of 601
Thread Starter 

duplicate 


Edited by jamato8 - 10/29/10 at 7:42pm
post #174 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I have a good external power source for the Monica II and with that get more transparency and generally, better sound but with fresh eneloop batteries, the Monica II sounds very good. I have read that a number of people actually prefer the II to the latest version. I asked about a dual dac version a while back and was told no way, to bad. 



It's possible but technically the design keeps improving (lower jitter, higher quality super E blackgate capacitors, now an even newer Mojo gain stage building on discoveries of the DIY community - although I haven't heard it.) Is there a source that you can share?

post #175 of 601
Thread Starter 

A source for what? 

post #176 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

I have read that a number of people actually prefer the II to the latest version.


A source for that. You should share the read because you suggested that Yeo at diyparadise's current product is a step backwards. If it is your opinion, fine. (I do not know if you have heard Monica 3?) Instead you claim a multitude of opinions from a printed source. I believe that you have a responsibility to back that up.

post #177 of 601
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post


A source for that. You should share the read because you suggested that Yeo at diyparadise's current product is a step backwards. If it is your opinion, fine. (I do not know if you have heard Monica 3?) Instead you claim a multitude of opinions from a printed source. I believe that you have a responsibility to back that up.

This is the wrong thread for this anyway and it is something I read a while back and I remember the comments but no longer exactly where. What stuck out to me what that they preferred the older model, Big deal. What, I am going to lie about something like that? What possible benefit would that be to anything? Please, I have used the Monica I and II and was the one the suggested to Yeo to use the Black Gates in the Super E configuration.  I have corresponded with Yeo, off and on for a number of years. It is what it is. And it isn't like I said other manufactures had better unit, this was a comparison of a product from the same company. To me that is a compliment besides I am sure there are those who prefer the III. I am not going to address it any more in this thread. 

 

Correction: I should have stated that I read this on a couple of boards. And saying a sound of a previous dac is preferred is not a step backward for the current model, it is a statement of sound preference. Some prefer the HD600 to the HD650 and the 650 is supposed to be the more current of the two. 


Edited by jamato8 - 10/30/10 at 11:05pm
post #178 of 601

D12 owner with Grado RS-1's. I've set the gain switch to the down position. Left it in stock opamp mode, but any recommendations which to use with the Grados? Using optical input.

post #179 of 601
Thread Starter 

I should receive a Topkit this week. I enjoy my HF2's with the stock D12 but will find out if I like it even better with the Topkit from HiFlight. I will report back. So many choices so little time. 

post #180 of 601

Boy, this little puppy sure doesn't like having my Blackberry within 5 feet of it.  My iPhone doesn't seem to create as much audio drama.

 

I heard the D10 was sensitive to this issue, as well.  Are the RSA units as finicky as the D12 for external RF noise?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .