or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sansa Fuze+
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sansa Fuze+ - Page 7

post #91 of 102

Thank you for the advice!

My Fuze+ is a refurbished unit anyway.  It is still fully functional except the weakening battery, and I was trying to save another piece of otherwise good garbage.

 

If I buy another one, should I go for the Clip Zip instead of the Fuze+?  I'm running RB so I don't care much about the stock firmware.

post #92 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulakpi View Post
If I buy another one, should I go for the Clip Zip instead of the Fuze+?  I'm running RB so I don't care much about the stock firmware.

I would go for the Clip Zip.

The functionality is the same as the Clip Plus but the bigger screen helps. The Fuze Plus has a longer battery life but that's only really useful if jou go to the jungle. The Zip lasts long enough to use it a day.

 

The Clip Zip has normal buttons which are MUCH more practical.


Edited by zhubajie - 8/5/13 at 3:37am
post #93 of 102

The Clip Zip is very nice with Rockbox. The original firmware it comes with really sucks though. The original firmware displays very little information, and the battery indicator is very hard to see if the screen brightness is set on low.

 

I usually wait for a holiday weekend to buy these. Sometimes you will see the 4GB Clip Zip on sale at Radio Shack or Best Buy  for $25 or $28 on memorial day weekend,labor day weekend, presidents day weekend, or black Friday weekend. Others buy refurbs, but I hate buying refubs.


Edited by JK1 - 8/5/13 at 2:46pm
post #94 of 102

I got one of the refurb Fuze + units and now understand the frustration expressed over the touch panel. Since I do embedded processor control as part of my day job I've been speculating why these touch controls are so slow to respond.

 

Speculation on my part, warning!

 

I think the answer is in the fairly powerful imx233 processor used in these units. The problem is that it eats a fair amount of power while it is running. So, to give long battery life the unit goes to sleep, and plays back using the DMA (direct memory access) capability that runs at much lower power. The processor wakes up periodically to keep the data flowing from external memory, and I suspect it only checks the touch pad then, creating an annoying case of  variable latency.  This is why it sometimes responds fast and other times slow. 

 

But honest Sandisk, most users would gladly take half the operating time for a more responsive touch pad!

 

The Fuze + unit is the only Sansa player that uses the I.MX.233 processor

post #95 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolavine View Post
 

I got one of the refurb Fuze + units and now understand the frustration expressed over the touch panel. Since I do embedded processor control as part of my day job I've been speculating why these touch controls are so slow to respond.

 

Speculation on my part, warning!

 

I think the answer is in the fairly powerful imx233 processor used in these units. The problem is that it eats a fair amount of power while it is running. So, to give long battery life the unit goes to sleep, and plays back using the DMA (direct memory access) capability that runs at much lower power. The processor wakes up periodically to keep the data flowing from external memory, and I suspect it only checks the touch pad then, creating an annoying case of  variable latency.  This is why it sometimes responds fast and other times slow. 

 

But honest Sandisk, most users would gladly take half the operating time for a more responsive touch pad!

 

The Fuze + unit is the only Sansa player that uses the I.MX.233 processor

 

Rockbox makes the player much more usable....give it a try!

post #96 of 102

My Fuze + started working really well, I think I bashed on the keypad enough while cursing at it, that it began to work really well with a light touch. I also learned to count 1001, 1002, before going for the buttons again.

post #97 of 102

Bringing this out from the dead to ask: Are they ending production or something? I bought my Fuze+ off eBay for $36 shipped. It's now north of $100 with Prime shipping, and only a handful of colors are available. Also, all of the Clips have a "Where to buy" link on the SanDisk site, but there doesn't appear to be one on the Fuze+ page. Is it the end of the Fuze+ era? If so, will there be a replacement? The fact that the Clip Sport was released with new internals made me wonder if they were out of the components that went in to the Clip+/Zip/Fuze+ and that's why there was a change. 

post #98 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post
 

Bringing this out from the dead to ask: Are they ending production or something? I bought my Fuze+ off eBay for $36 shipped. It's now north of $100 with Prime shipping, and only a handful of colors are available. Also, all of the Clips have a "Where to buy" link on the SanDisk site, but there doesn't appear to be one on the Fuze+ page. Is it the end of the Fuze+ era? If so, will there be a replacement? The fact that the Clip Sport was released with new internals made me wonder if they were out of the components that went in to the Clip+/Zip/Fuze+ and that's why there was a change. 

The Clip+/Clip Zip did not share internals with the Fuze+ either.  

post #99 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post
 

The Clip+/Clip Zip did not share internals with the Fuze+ either.  

 

Ah, I thought it did.

post #100 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post
 

 

Ah, I thought it did.

Yes, there was a different chip in the Fuze+, although it did sound just as good as the Clips, I thought. I never use mine, though......even with Rockbox, it still annoys me. And given how many other players I have, that work better, it just sits in a box.....lol. 

post #101 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post
 

Yes, there was a different chip in the Fuze+, although it did sound just as good as the Clips, I thought. I never use mine, though......even with Rockbox, it still annoys me. And given how many other players I have, that work better, it just sits in a box.....lol. 

 

Same same. I like it more than the clip+, I guess I'm a sucker for a color screen. But neither get any use from me, either. Comparing to the ZX1 they got more use than they had in quite some time. 

post #102 of 102

I have a Fuze+ that I neglected to protect from scratches and scuff marks with a screen protector that would otherwise obscure the screen and make it hard to see things. What I'd like to know is if there is some substance or technique anyone happens to know of that I can use to somehow get these scuff marks off and save it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sansa Fuze+