Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 2775

I'm currently looking at the PowerEx 9v instead of the 9.6v . Do you have both of them ? Any difference other than the power output ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisg View Post

I'm using powerex 9.6 volt
post #62 of 2775
I do have both and they sound the same to me.
post #63 of 2775

I ordered this:

Charger: iPower charger

520 mAh 8.4V

230 mAh 9.6V - Out of stock, but they will send it when they get it in with no additional shipping fees.  I guess I will take my chances!

 

Pro-sound seems to have great service!

 

I also ordered this, which says it requires the specified charger.  They show the specs and from what I can tell, the iPower charger will work with it.

600 mAh 7.4V

 

Oh, and the Stepdance has absolutely fantastic control of the bass region of the spectrum, which cleans up everything else.  Use with cheap dynamic driver IEMs/earbuds makes them sound like they should cost waaaaay more!


Edited by average_joe - 8/31/10 at 3:37pm
post #64 of 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

Oh, and the Stepdance has absolutely fantastic control of the bass region of the spectrum, which cleans up everything else.  Use with cheap dynamic driver IEMs/earbuds makes them sound like they should cost waaaaay more!


You're killing me man.

post #65 of 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

You're killing me man.


Looking at your IEMs, personally, I thought the MD bass was way too sloppy for me, and the Copper, while better was still too loose compared to the SM3.  I think the Stepdance would excel with those dynamics and it might make the MD truly shine!

post #66 of 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post




Looking at your IEMs, personally, I thought the MD bass was way too sloppy for me, and the Copper, while better was still too loose compared to the SM3.  I think the Stepdance would excel with those dynamics and it might make the MD truly shine!

 

Well tips have a lot to do w/ that as well.  I know my current MD's don't sound like my first set which were really loose and bloated.  The SM3 just didn't extend enough for me among other things.  That's another story.  I was more curious in how the Stepdance compares to the Arrow since mine is on its way as we speak.  

post #67 of 2775

I haven't spent much time A/Bing the two yet, but uh, you don't want to know!  Well, I will just simplify it like this:

 

Price: Arrow wins

Ergonomics: Arrow wins

Options: Arrow wins

Sound: Stepdance wins

 

The Arrow is a very good amp, but the sound that comes out of the Stepdance...wow!  Does the Stepdance sound make up for the Arrow winning the other places?  That is for you to decide.  If I EVER get my Pico Slim, I may have a 3 way shootout.  Well, OK, a 3 way mini-review :)

 

And sorry to hear you didn't get bass extension from the SM3, they can pound my ears with deep bass and are as extended as anything I have heard.  I did try just about every tip I could with the MDs, so I don't know what to say there. 

post #68 of 2775

Too bad Singapore doesn't have alot of choices for 9v rechargeable batteries . Only have Energizer , Maha ( which are currently out of stock ) and Varta . There are others but i don't really trust them as their " branded " . Received the Stepdance yesterday and can't bring them out with me as i've no block batteries . Shall wait till they restock the Maha . :(
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

I ordered this:

Charger: iPower charger

520 mAh 8.4V

230 mAh 9.6V - Out of stock, but they will send it when they get it in with no additional shipping fees.  I guess I will take my chances!

 

Pro-sound seems to have great service!

 

I also ordered this, which says it requires the specified charger.  They show the specs and from what I can tell, the iPower charger will work with it.

600 mAh 7.4V

 

Oh, and the Stepdance has absolutely fantastic control of the bass region of the spectrum, which cleans up everything else.  Use with cheap dynamic driver IEMs/earbuds makes them sound like they should cost waaaaay more!

post #69 of 2775
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post

Too bad Singapore doesn't have alot of choices for 9v rechargeable batteries . Only have Energizer , Maha ( which are currently out of stock ) and Varta . There are others but i don't really trust them as their " branded " . Received the Stepdance yesterday and can't bring them out with me as i've no block batteries . Shall wait till they restock the Maha . :(
 


 


I saw a china made 9V battery charger (no brand), not sure it works for any 9V. Just 9 sing dollars.

post #70 of 2775

Has anyone reviewed the compared the Stepdance vs ibasso Toucan

post #71 of 2775

Just ordered one and will post impressions in a couple weeks once I get a new Ipod touch with this amp.  Oh, and Jan's customer service is awesome

post #72 of 2775
Thread Starter 

Mine is here and burning in. 

post #73 of 2775
Thread Starter 

Some initial thoughts:

 

The volume control is remarkably smooth. The 1.5 db steps are just right. It feels continuous in use (to my ears anyway). As expected it is clean and balanced at all volumes levels. The volume control is so smooth that it might be easily changed unintentially so some care will be necessary for portable use. Some people will go portable but for me this is a transportable amp. It will be perfect for my home/coffee shop use.

 

Gain is easy to change. I just switched from high to low as I moved from the Beyer DT880/600s to my Sony D77 Eggos. There are two tiny switches just inside the battery compartment.

 

I am already impressed by how deeply it drives the bass on the DT880/600s. From memory, the 3Move that I tried with 250 ohm DT990s did not do as good a job of driving those cans to their capacity (and the 3Move was pretty impressive).

 

That's it for now. This amp needs burn in.


Edited by cooperpwc - 9/2/10 at 9:16am
post #74 of 2775

It looks as if there are three switches on the PCB, or am I imagining things? If not, what's the 3rd switch for? I couldn't find any info about it.

 

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/bilder/stepdancepcbbottom480.jpg

post #75 of 2775
Thread Starter 

The switch on the left is for high/low current mode. (Right position is high.) The next two switches are for the left and right gain. (Again, right position is high.)


Edited by cooperpwc - 9/2/10 at 9:19am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread