Anyone requested the Stepdance to be shipped by DHL instead of the normal standard shipping ? I received an email from Jan with the given parcel serial number but i can't seem to track it tho . :(
Recent Images In This Thread
- product2STEPDANCEtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/25/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/4/11
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 8/19/10
- productMeier Audio CORDA HEADSIXtagged by System, 3/4/11
- productMeier Audio Stepdancetagged by System, 8/19/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/19/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 3/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade From E11 For JH-16 Last post on 7/17/13 at 9:04pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AC Power Plug for Stepdance 2. Last post on 9/17/11 at 7:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- In-Ear headphone and Portable Amp for Electronic music. Last post on 9/9/11 at 6:15am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- anyone tried the leckerton amps with the opa 627? Last post on 6/19/12 at 7:21am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 3post #31 of 27908/24/10 at 6:34pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 27908/26/10 at 7:44pm
Skylab definitely knows his stuff. The Stepdance arrived today and even straight out of the box I'd have to say it's one of the best if not THE BEST amplifier (portable) I own.
Definitely a home run for genius Dr Jan Meier.post #33 of 27908/26/10 at 9:14pmpost #34 of 27908/26/10 at 11:41pmThread Starter
Nice, Woody. I am still waiting here is China.
Looking at the technical details and instruction manual now posted on Jan's Stepdance page, I like that the selection of the gain and current modes is switch-based from inside the battery compartment. No jumpers. (I like the gain switch being inside the battery compartment. Recessed switches are also okay. I don't understand some of the designs out there that where you can accidentally crank the volume through your IEMs by knocking an exposed switch.)
It is revealed: the Stepdance uses five (!) single OP1611 opamps. The technical details and photos all look great. Patience is a virtue, I tell myself...
Edited by cooperpwc - 8/27/10 at 12:17ampost #35 of 27908/27/10 at 7:19am
I am glad you have it Woody and am looking forward to comparing notes. Mine will hopefully be here tomorrow or Saturday, but if I have to wait until Monday, I am used to waiting! This amp does have me much more excited than the other amp I am waiting for!
Edited by average_joe - 8/27/10 at 7:24ampost #36 of 27908/27/10 at 7:41ampost #37 of 27908/27/10 at 12:37pmQuote:
You know of course what the expectations of you are. I know I don't have to say it.post #38 of 27908/27/10 at 2:00pmQuote:
Gee, I wonder what amp that could be............lol This Stepdance sets the bar really high, higher than I expected. It's a real performer.
One thing though, get your 9 volt rechargeables ready because the Stepdance will drain em fairly quickly. Luckily there are some really good batteries out there. I'd still appreciate hearing from experienced users to hopefully determine which brand is the undisputed best.post #39 of 27908/27/10 at 3:51pm
What amp has kept people waiting the 2nd most? Yes, Dr. Xin wins on not delivering amps, but geez, I did not expect this!
Thankfully other amp makers such as Jan are very good at customer service AND amp building!
But the real reason for my post was to ask about rechargeable 9V batteries. It seems there are 2 types, 9.6V up to 260 mAh and 8.4V up to 500 mAh. Which is better for this amp and run time? Here are some I have looked at:
Rayovac Hybrid - no maH rating
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I guess I should shoot Jan an email asking...post #40 of 27908/27/10 at 6:02pm
okay. just opened up the packaging.
burning in the amp now, but it does sound different than the Corda Move (1st gen) that it is replacing. in general, everything seems tighter but the old move's soundstage is better at the moment (probably because that is fully burnt in with the crossfeed on). Overall, I like the amp.
The new battery compartment does take a bit of getting used to. did not expect to have to use so much force to get it to close with a battery inside.
oh, and one "bonus" is that the stepdance is about 6cm shorter than the old move. did not expect that.post #41 of 27908/27/10 at 9:35pm
I've had to "strip" a few batteries of their outside casing. (actually while I was trying to carefully insert the battery the "skin" came off) What's left is a black cube with + and - on the top. Three of my 6 Tenergys couldn't pass muster and wouldn't even turn the amp's power light to blue.
They were unceremoniously thrown in the circular file.
I think I am going to try the 9.6V type, as they are supposed to outperform the rest. Thank you average_joe for your research to date and links.
Battery consumption aside, this is an amazing amppost #42 of 27908/27/10 at 10:09pmThread Starter
bigwoof, do you mean 6 mm ?
Edited by cooperpwc - 8/27/10 at 10:10pmpost #43 of 27908/28/10 at 9:55am
With ES5 (a very sensitive iem) and the amp set at low gain, I only start hearing some hiss noise if I turn the volume past 2:00. However I probably only listen to volume level without passing 11:00 when using ES5.
For battery compartment, the main thing that I need to get used to is that the battery door does not attach to the amp after opening. This may be inconvenient if you want to change the battery while on the move.
Another point to note is that when switching off the amp, you may heard a modestly lound noise if you are using a sensitive earphone.
Other than the above two, StepDance is the best portable amp among others that I owned.post #44 of 27908/28/10 at 10:25ampost #45 of 27908/28/10 at 11:58amQuote:
I think Skylab articulated best the sonic characteristics and abilities of this amp.. It would be difficult to expound further on his assessment without being redundant.
As far as pairing with other equipment, one combination (of many), is especially enjoyable. That would be the usb out from my Dell XPS laptop into the Pico standalone DAC into the Stepdance out to the Grado GR8. This combination gives the GR8's better bass weight, extension and control as well as helping with it's retrieval of detail and especially instument seperation. Talk about an upgrade to that holographic presentation I've become addicted to ! So those things with that setup greatly improved the GR8. I knew the GR8 was good but the Stepdance pushes them to a whole new level.
Oh, and one more thing I find interesting. When the battery gets low, the sound does not just fade to silence right away. Nope. It emits a clickclickclickclickclick that at first had me wondering if something was wrong. When the (2) 9 volt batteries on my SR-71A are exhausted, that amp just distorts for a few seconds and then fades to silence.
Edited by Woody469 - 8/28/10 at 12:57pm
- Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 1 minute ago
- › The Opamp thread 2 minutes ago
- › THE ACOUSTIC MUSIC THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › DT 880 vs. DT 990 for classical music 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Toronto Winter 2014 Meet 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO EO9K 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)