Anyone requested the Stepdance to be shipped by DHL instead of the normal standard shipping ? I received an email from Jan with the given parcel serial number but i can't seem to track it tho . :(
Recent Images In This Thread
- product2STEPDANCEtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/25/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/4/11
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 8/19/10
- productMeier Audio CORDA HEADSIXtagged by System, 3/4/11
- productMeier Audio Stepdancetagged by System, 8/19/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/19/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 3/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade From E11 For JH-16 Last post on 7/17/13 at 9:04pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AC Power Plug for Stepdance 2. Last post on 9/17/11 at 7:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- In-Ear headphone and Portable Amp for Electronic music. Last post on 9/9/11 at 6:15am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- anyone tried the leckerton amps with the opa 627? Last post on 6/19/12 at 7:21am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 3/10/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 3post #31 of 28988/24/10 at 6:34pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 28988/26/10 at 7:44pm
Skylab definitely knows his stuff. The Stepdance arrived today and even straight out of the box I'd have to say it's one of the best if not THE BEST amplifier (portable) I own.
Definitely a home run for genius Dr Jan Meier.post #33 of 28988/26/10 at 9:14pmpost #34 of 28988/26/10 at 11:41pmThread Starter
Nice, Woody. I am still waiting here is China.
Looking at the technical details and instruction manual now posted on Jan's Stepdance page, I like that the selection of the gain and current modes is switch-based from inside the battery compartment. No jumpers. (I like the gain switch being inside the battery compartment. Recessed switches are also okay. I don't understand some of the designs out there that where you can accidentally crank the volume through your IEMs by knocking an exposed switch.)
It is revealed: the Stepdance uses five (!) single OP1611 opamps. The technical details and photos all look great. Patience is a virtue, I tell myself...
Edited by cooperpwc - 8/27/10 at 12:17ampost #35 of 28988/27/10 at 7:19am
I am glad you have it Woody and am looking forward to comparing notes. Mine will hopefully be here tomorrow or Saturday, but if I have to wait until Monday, I am used to waiting! This amp does have me much more excited than the other amp I am waiting for!
Edited by average_joe - 8/27/10 at 7:24ampost #36 of 28988/27/10 at 7:41ampost #37 of 28988/27/10 at 12:37pmQuote:
You know of course what the expectations of you are. I know I don't have to say it.post #38 of 28988/27/10 at 2:00pmQuote:
Gee, I wonder what amp that could be............lol This Stepdance sets the bar really high, higher than I expected. It's a real performer.
One thing though, get your 9 volt rechargeables ready because the Stepdance will drain em fairly quickly. Luckily there are some really good batteries out there. I'd still appreciate hearing from experienced users to hopefully determine which brand is the undisputed best.post #39 of 28988/27/10 at 3:51pm
What amp has kept people waiting the 2nd most? Yes, Dr. Xin wins on not delivering amps, but geez, I did not expect this!
Thankfully other amp makers such as Jan are very good at customer service AND amp building!
But the real reason for my post was to ask about rechargeable 9V batteries. It seems there are 2 types, 9.6V up to 260 mAh and 8.4V up to 500 mAh. Which is better for this amp and run time? Here are some I have looked at:
Rayovac Hybrid - no maH rating
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I guess I should shoot Jan an email asking...post #40 of 28988/27/10 at 6:02pm
okay. just opened up the packaging.
burning in the amp now, but it does sound different than the Corda Move (1st gen) that it is replacing. in general, everything seems tighter but the old move's soundstage is better at the moment (probably because that is fully burnt in with the crossfeed on). Overall, I like the amp.
The new battery compartment does take a bit of getting used to. did not expect to have to use so much force to get it to close with a battery inside.
oh, and one "bonus" is that the stepdance is about 6cm shorter than the old move. did not expect that.post #41 of 28988/27/10 at 9:35pm
I've had to "strip" a few batteries of their outside casing. (actually while I was trying to carefully insert the battery the "skin" came off) What's left is a black cube with + and - on the top. Three of my 6 Tenergys couldn't pass muster and wouldn't even turn the amp's power light to blue.
They were unceremoniously thrown in the circular file.
I think I am going to try the 9.6V type, as they are supposed to outperform the rest. Thank you average_joe for your research to date and links.
Battery consumption aside, this is an amazing amppost #42 of 28988/27/10 at 10:09pmThread Starter
bigwoof, do you mean 6 mm ?
Edited by cooperpwc - 8/27/10 at 10:10pmpost #43 of 28988/28/10 at 9:55am
With ES5 (a very sensitive iem) and the amp set at low gain, I only start hearing some hiss noise if I turn the volume past 2:00. However I probably only listen to volume level without passing 11:00 when using ES5.
For battery compartment, the main thing that I need to get used to is that the battery door does not attach to the amp after opening. This may be inconvenient if you want to change the battery while on the move.
Another point to note is that when switching off the amp, you may heard a modestly lound noise if you are using a sensitive earphone.
Other than the above two, StepDance is the best portable amp among others that I owned.post #44 of 28988/28/10 at 10:25ampost #45 of 28988/28/10 at 11:58amQuote:
I think Skylab articulated best the sonic characteristics and abilities of this amp.. It would be difficult to expound further on his assessment without being redundant.
As far as pairing with other equipment, one combination (of many), is especially enjoyable. That would be the usb out from my Dell XPS laptop into the Pico standalone DAC into the Stepdance out to the Grado GR8. This combination gives the GR8's better bass weight, extension and control as well as helping with it's retrieval of detail and especially instument seperation. Talk about an upgrade to that holographic presentation I've become addicted to ! So those things with that setup greatly improved the GR8. I knew the GR8 was good but the Stepdance pushes them to a whole new level.
Oh, and one more thing I find interesting. When the battery gets low, the sound does not just fade to silence right away. Nope. It emits a clickclickclickclickclick that at first had me wondering if something was wrong. When the (2) 9 volt batteries on my SR-71A are exhausted, that amp just distorts for a few seconds and then fades to silence.
Edited by Woody469 - 8/28/10 at 12:57pm
- Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 34 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 45 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Sought after e88cc/6922 tubes for sale 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 4 minutes ago
- › ATH M50? 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Magni vs. Magni 2. 6 minutes ago
- › AV40 Upgrade for 2.1 Passive Stereo System 6 minutes ago
- › Cable burn in -- what are the arguments in favor, if any? 7 minutes ago
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2