Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 183

post #2731 of 2819

Somebody over on the HD650 thread suggested the Quickstep as a fitting portable amp for something as power-hungry as Sennheiser's and Beyerdynamic's finest. Is anybody running the HD650 combination? Is it any good?

post #2732 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

The choice of 9V is because 9V is high enough voltage to run most opamp properly and battery is generally considered a very clean power source, as long as you don't have to mess with the voltage by much. To use AA, anything less than 5V is not going to be enough (generally speaking), and 6V (4x AA)is borderline, while 9V (6x AA) is going to be heavy and bulky. If you are only going to use just one pair, you'll have to use a step-up circuit, which it creates noise / ripple that requires extra circuit to smooth down (which is the main reason why Dr. Meier has been avoiding step-up circuit all these time, I would believe). So if these extra circuits are unavoidable, then the smarter choice will be to go straight to Li-ion as it is far more efficient and higher capacity than NiMH of the same size. There are quite a few ways to get there, but unfortunately none without problem of their own.

 

I happen to have a 16V adapter that comes with another amp I have.  Could I use it to power the QuickStep?

post #2733 of 2819

Check with Jan Meier first...   but he once posted to this thread something to the effect that the "real" maximum permissible DC voltage is 16V, not 15V as screen printed near the power jack.

 

I would encourage you to at least check the voltage output with a voltmeter, before connecting it, confirming correct polarity, too, of course - even if he confirms that 16V is OK.

 

:-)

 

Mike

post #2734 of 2819
I honestly can't say i hear any improvement when i use the 15 volt psi versus the battery.
post #2735 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational View Post
 

 

I happen to have a 16V adapter that comes with another amp I have.  Could I use it to power the QuickStep?

 

For most adapter, except those that are exceptionally expensive, the number of voltage listed might not be the actually output voltage under load. They can drift up and down a few V and it will be really bad news if that adapter of yours runs over 16V since it might burn something out. Even with a regulated adapter, 16V is cutting it way too close. Dr. Meier listed 15V for a reason, so even a regulated adapter with slight drift (which they often do) will still be comfortable within the limitation. I won't recommend you to try it out. Just get a 12V~15V regulated.

post #2736 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

For most adapter, except those that are exceptionally expensive, the number of voltage listed might not be the actually output voltage under load. They can drift up and down a few V and it will be really bad news if that adapter of yours runs over 16V since it might burn something out. Even with a regulated adapter, 16V is cutting it way too close. Dr. Meier listed 15V for a reason, so even a regulated adapter with slight drift (which they often do) will still be comfortable within the limitation. I won't recommend you to try it out. Just get a 12V~15V regulated.

 

Everything you've said is great advice ClieOS, but here's the post to which I was referring:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Meier View Post
 

Dear headfellows,

 

all parts of the QUICKSTEP/STEPDANCE models are specified for at least 16V. Thus 15.3V will not be a problem.

 

The amps have been specified for 15V use since 16V powersupplies are very rare. They normally have 9, 12, or 15V.

 

The sizes of the powerinputs are indeed the same for all models.

 

Cheers

 

Jan
 

 

Without question, it's extremely important that anyone using a 16V power supply make sure it is a REGULATED power supply.  

 

It's more important for 16V than for 15V, because there's no room for error.

 

Mike

post #2737 of 2819

The problem is the word "regulated" - even among regulated adapter, a 15V adapter can still output up to 16V, depends on how tightly the regulation is done. It should be all specified in the datasheet of the adapter, if it has one. Cheap regulated adapter can be worst than unregulated adapter sometime. Only those really expensive transformer type of adapter has very tight regulation. If you look at the datasheet of LT1054 (the voltage switch / regulator and the limiting factor of voltage), the listed normal operating voltage is 3.5V~15V, and 16V is its absolute limit. Obviously you can still run it on that high a voltage, but you are just pushing it and makes it more likely to fail. If the 16V regulated adapter has 5% tolerance, then we are talking about a possible 16.8V on the upside. That's where you really need to be very careful about. For a 15V with 5%, you are sitting on a 15.75V, under the 16V max and obviously a lot safer.


Edited by ClieOS - 4/9/14 at 8:52pm
post #2738 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Somebody over on the HD650 thread suggested the Quickstep as a fitting portable amp for something as power-hungry as Sennheiser's and Beyerdynamic's finest. Is anybody running the HD650 combination? Is it any good?
I had my HD650 when I got the Stepdance. Yes you will love that combination. Bass gets more exact and faster and mids and treble more open. Instrument separation gets better too. You will love it.
post #2739 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post


I had my HD650 when I got the Stepdance. Yes you will love that combination. Bass gets more exact and faster and mids and treble more open. Instrument separation gets better too. You will love it.

x2!

 

HD650 and Quickstep is an excellent combination. 

post #2740 of 2819

The Stepdance is a wonderfull combination with each and every headphone or IEM I have or had, it is that good.

post #2741 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post


I had my HD650 when I got the Stepdance. Yes you will love that combination. Bass gets more exact and faster and mids and treble more open. Instrument separation gets better too. You will love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmushorn View Post
 

x2!

 

HD650 and Quickstep is an excellent combination. 

That's good news, especially for such an inexpensive amp. I'll be moving to a much tighter place soon than I have right now (relocating to Chicago), so I'm going to ditch most of my desktop equipment in favor of capable transportable equipment.

post #2742 of 2819
I can agree on the combo as well. Excellent pairing. If only my HD650 cable were shorter!
post #2743 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

The Stepdance is a wonderfull combination with each and every headphone or IEM I have or had, it is that good.

Hi. My name is wormsdriver, Chuck Norris and I approve this message!

post #2744 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

Somebody over on the HD650 thread suggested the Quickstep as a fitting portable amp for something as power-hungry as Sennheiser's and Beyerdynamic's finest. Is anybody running the HD650 combination? Is it any good?

It's good if the quickstep is all you have but a good desktop amp will blow away the quickstep: imaging, soundstage, dynamics.  I have not tried the quickstep with lower impedance, large headphones yet however.

post #2745 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiya View Post
 

It's good if the quickstep is all you have but a good desktop amp will blow away the quickstep: imaging, soundstage, dynamics.  I have not tried the quickstep with lower impedance, large headphones yet however.

 

So which amps would you recommend?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread