Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 178

post #2656 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

O2 measures well, it is simply an amp based on the objective performance, it has enough power to use for all thing, it has internal charger and it can be used as desktop amp but it can get boring real quick. Quickstep has small size format, very clear high and tight low, it is designed by Dr Meir who knows what he is making so you can be sure objectively it will perform well.

 

If I was to go back I would just get the quickstep with a good 15 volt PSU for home use and be willing to buy 9 volt battery from time to time when I need to use amp outside which I rarely do. 

Yeah that's basically what I'm planning to do. But what exactly is a good 15 volt psu? Will the adapter that comes with the O2 for instance, work with the quickstep?

post #2657 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

Yeah that's basically what I'm planning to do. But what exactly is a good 15 volt psu? Will the adapter that comes with the O2 for instance, work with the quickstep?

No it would not as  it is not DC. I still have not purchase any 15 volt PSU for my own amp, I am still reading about it but there as been mention of few regulate 15 volt PSU in this thread.

post #2658 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

No it would not as  it is not DC. I still have not purchase any 15 volt PSU for my own amp, I am still reading about it but there as been mention of few regulate 15 volt PSU in this thread.

Oh man, if this amp doesn't sound freaking fantastic it's going straight back. Does it even come with a 9v battery? 

Another question, what exactly would a good PSU be? Would a regular laptop charger (of 15 volt dc output) work? Or would you get nasty static issues?

 

 

Thanks for answering all these questions btw!


Edited by Marleybob217 - 11/2/13 at 8:14pm
post #2659 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

No it would not as  it is not DC. I still have not purchase any 15 volt PSU for my own amp, I am still reading about it but there as been mention of few regulate 15 volt PSU in this thread.

 

I have purchased Enercell 15VDC adapter in Radio Shack (off the shelf in NYC) and it works perfectly with my quickstep.

This is the model:

 

http://www.findnsave.com/offer/Enercell-15V-1000mA-AC-Adapter/26065893/

 

and you also need to get Enercell Adaptaplug H to plug into quickstep (it was also available in Radio Shack off the shelf).

post #2660 of 2790
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdinamo View Post
 

 

I have purchased Enercell 15VDC adapter in Radio Shack (off the shelf in NYC) and it works perfectly with my quickstep.

This is the model:

 

http://www.findnsave.com/offer/Enercell-15V-1000mA-AC-Adapter/26065893/

 

and you also need to get Enercell Adaptaplug H to plug into quickstep (it was also available in Radio Shack off the shelf).

 

That looks good. The key point is that it is regulated. You cannot use a non-regulated power supply with the Quickstep.

 

Apparently that adapter has some power filtering too. Actually it looks very good.

post #2661 of 2790

@Marleybob217 - Here's a link to the size-H Adaptaplug:

 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3870006

 

 

 

The right-angle adapter is a nice feature of this setup.  Just make sure you get the polarity correct when you attach the Adaptaplug to the cable coming from the adapter.  The Meier portable amps expect the tip of the barrel connector to be positive (+) and the outside of barrel itself to be negative (-).

 

I recommend that you mark the Adaptaplug with a permanent marker to indicate how it should be oriented, in case it comes loose from the cable while using it.

 

-----

 

Here's another source for a 15V regulated PSU with similar specs:

 

http://www.powerstream.com/ac-1501.htm   +    http://www.powerstream.com/dc-tips2.htm

 

-----

 

@cooperpwc -  Hey Paul,

 

I think the Radio Shack 15V PSU was first mentioned in an exchange you and I had in this thread (patting myself on the back for finding it).

 

And I believe utdeep was the first to report that it works fine.

 

Mike

post #2662 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

@Marleybob217 - Here's a link to the size-H Adaptaplug:

 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3870006

 

 

 

The right-angle adapter is a nice feature of this setup.  Just make sure you get the polarity correct when you attach the Adaptaplug to the cable coming from the adapter.  The Meier portable amps expect the tip of the barrel connector to be positive (+) and the outside of barrel itself to be negative (-).

 

I recommend that you mark the Adaptaplug with a permanent marker to indicate how it should be oriented, in case it comes loose from the cable while using it.

 

-----

 

Here's another source for a 15V regulated PSU with similar specs:

 

http://www.powerstream.com/ac-1501.htm   +    http://www.powerstream.com/dc-tips2.htm

 

-----

 

@cooperpwc -  Hey Paul,

 

I think the Radio Shack 15V PSU was first mentioned in an exchange you and I had in this thread (patting myself on the back for finding it).

 

And I believe utdeep was the first to report that it works fine.

 

Mike

Thanks :)

 

But I won't purchase those from the US. I'm located in the netherlands, and our customs are really mean!

 

What I'm going to do is: get a screwdriver that fits in those star shaped screws of the O2. And just use those 9v batteries to test the quickstep.

If I really like the quickstep, I'll browse the local shops for a regulated ac/dc adapter (those are the demands right?). 

post #2663 of 2790
Thread Starter 
Quote:

 

@cooperpwc -  Hey Paul,

 

I think the Radio Shack 15V PSU was first mentioned in an exchange you and I had in this thread (patting myself on the back for finding it).

 

And I believe utdeep was the first to report that it works fine.

 

Mike

 

Hey Mike, I am in awe of your search abilities.  :beerchug:

 

Yes we did discuss it. Sadly no 220 volt version.  :frown: 

post #2664 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post
 

Thanks :)

 

But I won't purchase those from the US. I'm located in the netherlands, and our customs are really mean!

 

What I'm going to do is: get a screwdriver that fits in those star shaped screws of the O2. And just use those 9v batteries to test the quickstep.

If I really like the quickstep, I'll browse the local shops for a regulated ac/dc adapter (those are the demands right?). 

 

 

I didn't know the O2 had any batteries inside, but if they are 9VDC batteries of the correct shape, they should work fine inside the Quickstep.

 

Answering your question, you should at least be able to find a regulated 12-Volt DC power supply there in the Netherlands, if not a 15-Volt version.  The hard part will be finding one with the correct size barrel connector for the Quickstep's power jack, or an adapter.   

 

Look for 12V (or 15V) regulated power supplies that come with an assortment of different-sized tips.  Ultimately, you need a tip that measures 3.5mm (outside diameter) and 1.3mm (inside diameter).

 

See:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-quickstep-also-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2445#post_9714537

 

Mike

post #2665 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

 

I didn't know the O2 had any batteries inside, but if they are 9VDC batteries of the correct shape, they should work fine inside the Quickstep.

 

Answering your question, you should at least be able to find a regulated 12-Volt DC power supply there in the Netherlands, if not a 15-Volt version.  The hard part will be finding one with the correct size barrel connector for the Quickstep's power jack, or an adapter.   

 

Look for 12V (or 15V) regulated power supplies that come with an assortment of different-sized tips.  Ultimately, you need a tip that measures 3.5mm (outside diameter) and 1.3mm (inside diameter).

 

See:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-quickstep-also-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2445#post_9714537

 

Mike

 

I just went to the local electronics store, and found a bunch of ac/dc adapters with 12v dc output! They came with different sized tips, and cost about €15, so all is good.

Is 12v considered enough power to benefit the most from being powered from a psu?

post #2666 of 2790
It really depends on the efficiency of your headphones. The audible difference between 9V and 12V could be hard to detect with efficient IEMs, for example, as could the difference between 12V and 15V. If, however, you were to use a headphone that scales well to more power, such as the LCD-2, noticeable differences in dynamics can be heard going from 9V to 12V, but from 12V to 15V, not so different.

I've never used the power hungry HE-6 with a Stepdance, but I would imagine it might better "appreciate" the difference between 12V and 15V power.

In short, enjoy your affordable, 12V solution! I'm glad you found that option.

:-)

Mike
post #2667 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

It really depends on the efficiency of your headphones. The audible difference between 9V and 12V could be hard to detect with efficient IEMs, for example, as could the difference between 12V and 15V. If, however, you were to use a headphone that scales well to more power, such as the LCD-2, noticeable differences in dynamics can be heard going from 9V to 12V, but from 12V to 15V, not so different.

I've never used the power hungry HE-6 with a Stepdance, but I would imagine it might better "appreciate" the difference between 12V and 15V power.

In short, enjoy your affordable, 12V solution! I'm glad you found that option.

:-)

Mike

Alright, thanks!

 

I won't be using the quickstep with power hungry headphones. The most 'power hungry' headphone I will use with it will the the akg k702s. 

post #2668 of 2790
Hi,
Any different sound between 2stepdance and quickstep?
post #2669 of 2790
Unlikely, as I believe they are identical except for the Quickstep having improved RFI shielding and more durable jacks.
post #2670 of 2790
Debating between getting this or the Pico power.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread