Ok thanks for clearing that one up. But is the XP8000 the best Battery pack for the Quickstep or are there others I can look out for?
Recent Images In This Thread
- product2STEPDANCEtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/25/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/4/11
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 8/19/10
- productMeier Audio CORDA HEADSIXtagged by System, 3/4/11
- productMeier Audio Stepdancetagged by System, 8/19/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 8/19/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 3/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade From E11 For JH-16 Last post on 7/17/13 at 9:04pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AC Power Plug for Stepdance 2. Last post on 9/17/11 at 7:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- In-Ear headphone and Portable Amp for Electronic music. Last post on 9/9/11 at 6:15am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- anyone tried the leckerton amps with the opa 627? Last post on 6/19/12 at 7:21am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 140
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2087 of 30152/7/13 at 12:58am
It's the most well known one. You can probably find others by doing a search for laptop portable batteries/chargers.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/7/13 at 1:08ampost #2088 of 30152/7/13 at 3:16pm
I would buy it again, no question. It runs the Amp very powerful @ 12 volt and you can even get to 15 volt if needed. But that is only for high Ohm phones I believe. It is very nice to be able to run my Stepdance for a whole week without bothering about drained batteries.post #2089 of 30152/7/13 at 3:34pmpost #2090 of 30152/7/13 at 9:27pmQuote:
12 Volts is 12 Volts, as long as the wall adapter is a linear power supply and not a switch-mode power supply. Ideally, you want a regulated, linear power supply. Switch-mode power supplies can generate noise. A good wall 12V wall adpater will sound just as good as a 12V battery pack.
Mikepost #2091 of 30152/7/13 at 10:07pmpost #2092 of 30152/7/13 at 10:17pmpost #2093 of 30152/8/13 at 3:18pm
The Meier Audio portable amps cannot draw more than about 1A (1000 mA), but it's OK to use a power supply rated higher than that - 3A, for example.
Just make sure the voltage is not more than 16V DC, regulated. I know the manual and the screen printing at the rear of the Stepdance indicate a maximum of 15 Volts, but Jan Meier once posted to this thread that you can go as high as 16 Volts. Generally speaking, the higher the input voltage, the better the sound quality.
This is pretty much ideal, in my opinion, except that it might not be regulated:
Enercell™ 15V/1000mA AC Adapter
Radio Shack Model # 273-332
You would also need their Adaptaplug H (for use with the Meier portable amp power jacks, that require a 3.5mm OD, 1.3mm ID barrel connector.)
Enercell™ Adaptaplug™ H
Radio Shack Model # 273-340
Mikepost #2094 of 30152/8/13 at 3:21pm
Oops! I just noticed via your profile that you're in Melbourne! Oh well. Hopefully you can find something at the right voltage and amperage, there.
Mikepost #2095 of 30152/20/13 at 1:42pm
Yeah, but an adapter may say 16V and output 16.25V which runs the risk of damaging the unit. Better to go with 15V and have a bit of headroom.
Shouldn't the aluminum electrolytic caps remove noise coming from switching power supplies?post #2096 of 30152/20/13 at 7:48pmQuote:
That's why it is better to get a regulated adapter. They will tell you the +/- xx% so you'll know the tolerance.
Caps will smooth down ripples, but it also depends on how bad it is.post #2097 of 30152/20/13 at 9:14pmThread Starterpost #2098 of 30152/21/13 at 2:39pm
I'm still running this daily with my Stepdance: <http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_162996_-1> Onl outputs 500mA, though.
You have to get an adapter sleeve, though. I think Zilchm0d found a way to just purchase the right one instead of a set.post #2099 of 30153/6/13 at 5:55pm
Hi, I'm interested in buying a Meier Quickstep but wanted to confirm it has good bass impact? I'm tossing up between this and the RSA Predator/Mustang - not sure they pair well with Denon D5000's due to their wrmer sound signature?post #2100 of 30153/6/13 at 6:20pmI've never heard the D5000, but as you've intimated, the RSA house sound is warm, where the Quickstep is spectacularly neutral. Bass impact will vary with the efficiency of your headphones and the supply voltage to the Quickstep (up to 15VDC). With IEMs or really efficient headphones, an increase in supply voltage (above the 9V internal battery), would likely make no audible difference. I really don't know how "hard" the D5000 is to drive, but the LCD-2, for example, really comes to life with more power - which translates to improved bass.
- Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 19 seconds ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 - Flagship ciem reload ! 26 seconds ago
- › The custom art Harmony 8.2 European demo tour 27 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 59 seconds ago
- › Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › Choosing between three headphones (also should I get an amp?) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear