Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 127

post #1891 of 2808


Hey WNBC,

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Mr Zilch0md, I got my Stepdance + XP8000 + WI15 + AB05 + Powerstream connector all hooked up.  Sound is phenomenal.  I can even drive my HE-500 very well with it.  I wasn't expecting that.  I dare say the soundstage of this amp competes or exceeds my beloved V200 amp.

 

Problem:  high-pitch squeal when XP8000 is discharging.  Is that normal?   I don't get the squeal if everything is hooked up and I also charge the XP8000 at the same time.  I don't get the squeal if I use the USB output.  I will try XP8000 tomorrow with the cMoyBB tomorrow.  I just want to see if I get a bad XP8000 or it is normal when a 15V device is hooked up.   When I received it today I have the sneaky suspicion that somebody returned it as there were fingerprints on it and you just get the feeling it is a returned unit when the packaging just doesn't look need inside.  Plus the XP8000 box had some rough looking corners.


That's bittersweet news - sounds great, when it's not squealing. Ouch!

 

If you have a voltmeter, you might try checking the voltage coming out of the XP8000's blue 19V jack, using one of the cables that's made for that jack - not the WI15.  I suspect that the squealing is coming from the WI15 only due to insufficient voltage being fed into it. When you plug the XP8000 into its brick charger, the squeal goes away, because the input voltage seen by the WI15 only then meets spec (something around 19V). That's my hunch, anyway.  

 

In short, if you're not getting at least 18V out of the blue jack when the XP8000 is fully charged but disconnected from AC, it's a bad XP8000 and you should return it.  Try comparing that "blue" voltage with and without the AC adapter - they should be nearly the same when the XP8000 is fully charged.

 

Warning:  Be careful when sticking your voltmeter's probes into the barrel connector - don't short the outside of the barrel to the center conductor, or you might start squealing.  eek.gif

 

Mike

 


Edited by zilch0md - 3/1/12 at 9:47pm
post #1892 of 2808

 

Hi MRK 54,
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK 54 View Post

Do you know were to get the 110v power adapter for stepdance2?


The 2Stepdance has the same external power supply requirements as the Stepdance.   My post above is relevant for either the Stepdance or the 2Stepdance.

 

Try the two Radio Shack items pictured at the bottom of that post and let us know how it sounds:

 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875409#

 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3870006

 

The right-angle adapter is a nice feature of this setup.   If you buy these, just make sure you get the polarity correct when you attach the Adaptaplug to the cable coming from the adapter.  Both the Stepdance and the 2Stepdance expect the tip of the barrel connector to be positive (+) and the outside of barrel itself to be negative (-).   See the last page of the 2Stepdance manual at this link.

 

I recommend that you mark the Adaptaplug with a permanent marker to indicate how it should be oriented, in case it comes loose from the cable while using it.

 

wink.gif  

 

Mike

 

post #1893 of 2808

Thanks Mike, I was actually just about to PM you about this because I want to return it before it got too late.

 

I will check the voltage but I'm pretty sure it is going back to the store.  I think you are right though.  I have a 12-volt linear, unregulated wall wart that sounds as good with the 2Step as the XP8000 so I'm guessing that I'm not hearing the XP8000 at its best.

 

Somebody returned this thing and then it got re-boxed and sent to me.  I hate it when people return items as "not what I wanted" rather than "not wanted because defective".  Then the item gets sent to another person, me in this case, and then I have to return it.

 

Any thoughts on the XP18000 since it is not much more money and I'll be returning the XP8000?  I will be traveling for a couple months and the extra capacity won't go unused.

 

The 2Stepdance is killer, I'll probably stop there in terms of portable amps.  I was thinking about maybe upgrading my IEMs or at the very least having a backup in case my 262s crap out while I'm on the road.  I won't have the opportunity to buy anything so I need to buy it now.  If you guys have ideas on a good pairing with 2Stepdance feel free to throw them out.  As points of reference, I like RE-262 and RE-Zero.  Mostly listen to jazz.  Maybe I should steer toward a more neutral IEM to complement the warm 262.  For me, detail is more important then bass.  Looking to spend $100-300.  I was thinking a used Westone 3 or 4 or even a new HD-25.  

 

Cheers, John

 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post


Hey WNBC,

 


That's bittersweet news - sounds great, when it's not squealing. Ouch!

 

If you have a voltmeter, you might try checking the voltage coming out of the XP8000's blue 19V jack, using one of the cables that's made for that jack - not the WI15.  I suspect that the squealing is coming from the WI15 only due to insufficient voltage being fed into it. When you plug the XP8000 into its brick charger, the squeal goes away, because the input voltage seen by the WI15 only then meets spec (something around 19V). That's my hunch, anyway.  

 

In short, if you're not getting at least 18V out of the blue jack when the XP8000 is fully charged but disconnected from AC, it's a bad XP8000 and you should return it.  Try comparing that "blue" voltage with and without the AC adapter - they should be nearly the same when the XP8000 is fully charged.

 

Warning:  Be careful when sticking your voltmeter's probes into the barrel connector - don't short the outside of the barrel to the center conductor, or you might start squealing.  eek.gif

 

Mike

 



 


Edited by WNBC - 3/2/12 at 7:23am
post #1894 of 2808

I just bought a 2Stepdance today primarily to use with my SE535ltd and a pair of Cracked W4 that has a Shure compatible socket installed. I have an abundant of different cables from copper, copper/silver, silver, silver/gold and the accompanying 3.5mm i/c s. At present my sources are 2 D2+ (pink and pale blue) and a Cowon X7. Awaiting the DX100 in the next week or so. 

 

I have two amps that I will be comparing the 2Step with, a Triad L3 and an another one not yet named.

 

Initially listening, I found the 2Step rather dry......gonna leave it running over night and see tomorrow.

 

What I would like to bring you guys attention to is this battery, although I know most have mods to run the 2step off 15v. It is a 9v 650mAh!!!

 

Batteries.jpg

 

They are rechargeable and the dedicated charger charges two batteries at a time. I am using it and testing to see if they are safeblink.gif. I will charge them when I am present, just in case.

 

 

post #1895 of 2808



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

 

The 2Stepdance is killer, I'll probably stop there in terms of portable amps.  I was thinking about maybe upgrading my IEMs or at the very least having a backup in case my 262s crap out while I'm on the road.  I won't have the opportunity to buy anything so I need to buy it now.  If you guys have ideas on a good pairing with 2Stepdance feel free to throw them out.  As points of reference, I like RE-262 and RE-Zero.  Mostly listen to jazz.  Maybe I should steer toward a more neutral IEM to complement the warm 262.  For me, detail is more important then bass.  Looking to spend $100-300.  I was thinking a used Westone 3 or 4 or even a new HD-25.  

 

Cheers, John


Neutral IEM to complement the RE262 would be the RE272.  I have had the RE262 twice, and returned it to Head Direct both times, as I prefered the neutral sound of the RE272.  I took ClieOS advice and paired the RE272 with my 2Stepdance.  The 2Stepdance takes the RE272 to a new level, and ClieOS has the RE272 as his number 1 balanced/neutral IEM.  Once the RE272 has over 250 hrs, it really opens up, so it needs a little time.  It is my go to for jazz and classical, as well as anything acoustical.  Smooth and extended in the vocals and highs.  IMO a very refined sound!
 

 

post #1896 of 2808

The 272 is on my radar as well.  I was just thinking of branching out.  I've owned quite a few items from Hifiman: 262, RE-Zero, HE-4, HM-601, HE-500.  I could easily get locked into one company but I probably should try something else as well.  The 272 temptation is very strong though.  As for the 262, I love it.  For jazz and vocals it is amazing and I'm coming from a perspective of being primarily a full-size headphone listener with the LCD-2 and HE-500.  We will have different opinions on this though I read that many people have issues with getting a proper seal.  But in short, I could very well end up with a 272, a brighter and more neutral signature than 262.  Someone in the 262 thread suggested a e-Q5.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post


Neutral IEM to complement the RE262 would be the RE272.  I have had the RE262 twice, and returned it to Head Direct both times, as I prefered the neutral sound of the RE272.  I took ClieOS advice and paired the RE272 with my 2Stepdance.  The 2Stepdance takes the RE272 to a new level, and ClieOS has the RE272 as his number 1 balanced/neutral IEM.  Once the RE272 has over 250 hrs, it really opens up, so it needs a little time.  It is my go to for jazz and classical, as well as anything acoustical.  Smooth and extended in the vocals and highs.  IMO a very refined sound!

 

post #1897 of 2808



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

The 272 is on my radar as well.  I was just thinking of branching out.  I've owned quite a few items from Hifiman: 262, RE-Zero, HE-4, HM-601, HE-500.  I could easily get locked into one company but I probably should try something else as well.  The 272 temptation is very strong though.  As for the 262, I love it.  For jazz and vocals it is amazing and I'm coming from a perspective of being primarily a full-size headphone listener with the LCD-2 and HE-500.  We will have different opinions on this though I read that many people have issues with getting a proper seal.  But in short, I could very well end up with a 272, a brighter and more neutral signature than 262.  Someone in the 262 thread suggested a e-Q5.  

 

 


The RE272 in not bright......I use MEEL DF tips, and with the 2Stepdance the synergy is beyond expectation.  It needs 250 hrs to sound its best!  I have the Westone 4R, that is very nice as well, and I have found Parametric EQ settings to shape the sound very close to the LCD-2.  EasyQ is used on iPhone, maybe other smart devices as well.  I use my Sansa Fuze V2 Rockboxed to mirror the Parametric EQ settings on my home gears.  The bass can be bumped up this way on the RE272, I raise 30hz and 60hz 2-3db for the RE272, and the sub bass is amazing with the neutral presentation of the mids, and highs.  Bu never think of the RE272 as bright, extended yes!  I only listen to wav's on my Fuze and Home Gears, low bitrate MP3's may soundl bright but I have never heard them.  MP3's were meant for the 90's when disk space was at a premium!
 

 


Edited by cute - 3/4/12 at 9:07am
post #1898 of 2808

Just wondering, how often do you take the 2Stepdance out and about and use it as a portable?

 

I took it out today and its a RF nightmare, buzzing, bip bip bip of mobile phones etc etc! I am going to get it covered with carbon fiber to see if it helps, if it doesn't, it at least will be aesthetically pleasing and supposedly it helps sonically?!?!?! Not too sure about that thoughconfused_face_2.gif


Edited by spkrs01 - 3/5/12 at 6:15am
post #1899 of 2808
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Just wondering, how often do you take the 2Stepdance out and about and use it as a portable?

 

I took it out today and its a RF nightmare, buzzing, bip bip bip of mobile phones etc etc! I am going to get it covered with carbon fiber to see if it helps, if it doesn't, it at least will be aesthetically pleasing and supposedly it helps sonically?!?!?! Not too sure about that thoughconfused_face_2.gif

 


I use the original Stepdance as a portable all the time and have had few problems with RF interference. Of course, if i place it right beside my iPhone it can pick up interference like every other amp that I have used.

 

Covering it in carbon fiber to shield or improve sonics is  bogus. That's just setting up a straw man that you can knock down. You might as well cover it in peanut butter. If you want pretty though, go for it. Or... peanut butter.  ;-)

post #1900 of 2808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Quote:

 


I use the original Stepdance as a portable all the time and have had few problems with RF interference. Of course, if i place it right beside my iPhone it can pick up interference like every other amp that I have used.

 

Covering it in carbon fiber to shield or improve sonics is  bogus. That's just setting up a straw man that you can knock down. You might as well cover it in peanut butter. If you want pretty though, go for it. Or... peanut butter.  ;-)


Hence the confused_face_2.gif!

 

Anyway back to RF interference, I am in Hong Kong, it's pack everywhere and everyone has their smartphone doing whatever. It's not as if I am placing the 2Stepdance next to a phone. It is walking down the road or in a shopping mall and getting constant bip bip bip.....

 

Can you tell me how many hours before the sound settles? Still sounding rather dry and a touch sterile to me after 24 hours.

 

Many thanks

 

post #1901 of 2808
Thread Starter 

I would give the caps at least 100 - better 300 - hours to settle. But if you are expecting it to sound like an RSA amp, it never will. The Stepdance is about as neutral an amp as you are going to get. It is fast and detailed, and absolutely black of background, but it doesn't warm up the sound. It is ideal therefore with a really clean but also musical DAC (e.g. Wolfsen-based). All IMHO YMMV as always.

 

You actually might prefer a warmer amp. It is a matter of taste.

post #1902 of 2808

It was an impulse buy, I have the Triad which I adore, but not portable. I am using Cowons D2+ and an x7. Hoping the DX100 will arrive next week, fingers crossed. 

 

Will just see how the 2Stepdance developes with hours on it. I don't dislike it as I feel there is huge potential and making my way through this thread I can see lots of fellow head fiers who do thoroughly enjoy and rate it highly.

 

Huge thanks for replying!!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

I would give the caps at least 100 - better 300 - hours to settle. But if you are expecting it to sound like an RSA amp, it never will. The Stepdance is about as neutral an amp as you are going to get. It is fast and detailed, and absolutely black of background, but it doesn't warm up the sound. It is ideal therefore with a really clean but also musical DAC (e.g. Wolfsen-based). All IMHO YMMV as always.

 

You actually might prefer a warmer amp. It is a matter of taste.



 

post #1903 of 2808

Just wanna let you guys know that I have the portable xpal 15v mod kit that I'm willing to let go for 90 dollars if there's anyone interested. It has been very lightly used, in fact the battery pack has been recharged only twice. I'm selling it because someone bought the stepdance from me but he didnt want the mod. Feel free to pm me if interested. Thanks.


Edited by zenith91 - 3/9/12 at 12:46pm
post #1904 of 2808

re-272

 

i have a pair of these , i am very satisfied with its neutral,extended,detailed sound and i am thinking of buying a 2SD as i read in some 272 reviews how well these 2 work together

 

if you want a neutral,airy,detailed iem search no more - 272 at 250$ is very,very good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

The 2Stepdance is killer, I'll probably stop there in terms of portable amps.  I was thinking about maybe upgrading my IEMs or at the very least having a backup in case my 262s crap out while I'm on the road.  I won't have the opportunity to buy anything so I need to buy it now.  If you guys have ideas on a good pairing with 2Stepdance feel free to throw them out.  As points of reference, I like RE-262 and RE-Zero.  Mostly listen to jazz.  Maybe I should steer toward a more neutral IEM to complement the warm 262.  For me, detail is more important then bass.  Looking to spend $100-300.  I was thinking a used Westone 3 or 4 or even a new HD-25.  

 

Cheers, John

 

 


 



 



 

post #1905 of 2808

Thanks, I put in my order Wed. night biggrin.gif.  Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

 

After reading the various reviews I boiled it down to the Westone 4 and RE-272.  Seemed like for $250 one was getting a great IEM in the 272 and the benefits of spending $400 for the W4 wasn't going to be significantly more.  Having never heard the W4 I could be wrong but looks like I'll be using the 262 and 272 for years to come.    

 

Are you guys using the low or high gain setting on the 272 + 2Step combo?  Don't want to blow out my new 272 the first day. tongue.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

re-272

 

i have a pair of these , i am very satisfied with its neutral,extended,detailed sound and i am thinking of buying a 2SD as i read in some 272 reviews how well these 2 work together

 

if you want a neutral,airy,detailed iem search no more - 272 at 250$ is very,very good.


 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread