Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just ordered Beyer dt 990's (250) - Need help with gear choice/setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just ordered Beyer dt 990's (250) - Need help with gear choice/setup

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

Long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks to everyone here who contributes, this place is an awesome source of information!

 

I just ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic dt 990's (250 ohms) and I'm looking for recommendations on where to go from here. First, a little about my listening habits and current low end setup:

 

I currently own some Grado SR225's that I've been using for the last few years. While I didn't mind the sound signature of the Grado's, they never really dazzled me and were lacking in the low end department. I listen to a variety of music including metal, ambient/down-tempo electronic music, a bit of jazz and blues. I'm pretty good about making sure I'm listening to lossless formats or at least respectably high bitrate formats (no 128/192 garbage ever). I also game quite a bit and play a bunch of rpg's and fps's.

 

I currently have an X-Fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty Pro Series Sound card, connected to Logitech Z-5500 speakers. Normally I just run the Grado's through the headphone out on the control pod, and get....passable results (mediocre I know, don't beat me!)

 

Now that I've ordered the Beyer dt 990's (250 ohm version),  I'm afraid that they won't get nearly enough power to get the sound quality I'm hoping to get. I'm looking to see if there's a decent way to go from soundcard to an external device, or to just let my soundcard drive the Logitech speakers and get an entirely new dac/amp setup just for my headphones. I'm at the mercy of this forum, and I know you all have your opinions, please share! I'd like to keep the solution at a reasonably low price (under $250 if possible) but I'm willing to pay more for entry/mid level listening that will last me at least a while, before the audio bug bites me and I go broke.

 

Thanks so much for your help!

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by devolution View Post

Hey all,

 

Long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks to everyone here who contributes, this place is an awesome source of information!

 

I just ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic dt 990's (250 ohms) and I'm looking for recommendations on where to go from here. First, a little about my listening habits and current low end setup:

 

I currently own some Grado SR225's that I've been using for the last few years. While I didn't mind the sound signature of the Grado's, they never really dazzled me and were lacking in the low end department. I listen to a variety of music including metal, ambient/down-tempo electronic music, a bit of jazz and blues. I'm pretty good about making sure I'm listening to lossless formats or at least respectably high bitrate formats (no 128/192 garbage ever). I also game quite a bit and play a bunch of rpg's and fps's.

 

I currently have an X-Fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty Pro Series Sound card, connected to Logitech Z-5500 speakers. Normally I just run the Grado's through the headphone out on the control pod, and get....passable results (mediocre I know, don't beat me!)

 

Now that I've ordered the Beyer dt 990's (250 ohm version),  I'm afraid that they won't get nearly enough power to get the sound quality I'm hoping to get. I'm looking to see if there's a decent way to go from soundcard to an external device, or to just let my soundcard drive the Logitech speakers and get an entirely new dac/amp setup just for my headphones. I'm at the mercy of this forum, and I know you all have your opinions, please share! I'd like to keep the solution at a reasonably low price (under $250 if possible) but I'm willing to pay more for entry/mid level listening that will last me at least a while, before the audio bug bites me and I go broke.

 

Thanks so much for your help!


Can you cancel the order and get the 600 ohm version? Sorry, but the 600 ohm version is only marginally harder to power but sounds quite a bit better. Not as "U" shaped in response, quite a bit more balanced.

 

If not, not to worry, the 250 ohm versions are pretty good too.

 

Oh and welcome to Head-fi and my sincere apologies to your wallet.

 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

I can always return the 250 ohm version and get the 600 ohms instead. Although I have heard the praises of the 600ohm version, I was under the impression it'd be much harder ($$$) to get the proper sound out of them.

post #4 of 11

Actually they are about the same to power. Don't let the 600 ohms scare you. Beyer's 600 ohm drivers are extremely light and as a result no harder to drive than their 250 ohm versions. I did and bought the DT880/250s...I then sold them off (at a loss ) and purchased the DT880/600s. And it was totally worth it.

 

There is a reason beyer used a 600 ohm driver for their flagship T1s.

 

If you can, I would strongly recommend getting the DT990/600s. They are just that much better.

 

For amping, a used Headroom Micro Amp can be bought on the F/S forum and can power them to ear splitting levels and pretty good sonic heights. Actually my Micro Amp works really well with my 600 ohm T1s for my bedside rig. Surprisingly well (and I bought it used for under $200).


Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/16/10 at 8:03pm
post #5 of 11

double post.  dang huddler.


Edited by TheWuss - 8/16/10 at 8:04pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by devolution View Post

I can always return the 250 ohm version and get the 600 ohms instead. Although I have heard the praises of the 600ohm version, I was under the impression it'd be much harder ($$$) to get the proper sound out of them.


 

nah.  not that much different to drive than the 250ohm version.

so, the same amp.... but better sound. 


 

post #7 of 11
I have the 250ohm version and like them driven off the uDAC. The newer version, the uDAC2 upgrades all the parts, the dac, the amp and the volume control and it only cost 129.00. I also like them paired with my BitHead.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

 

Thanks for the input guys. The uDAC2 looks pretty interesting and seems to be in my price range. Would it be able to sufficiently push the 600 ohm version if I get those? 

 

I've heard that the Beyer's sound best with tube amps, any thoughts on this?

post #9 of 11
I only get to about 10:00 on my udac with the 990s, so its still got plenty of room left. After living with the, for a few weeks, I Do imagine they would be great with a tube amp, but only if the source is up to snuff.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by devolution View Post

 

Thanks for the input guys. The uDAC2 looks pretty interesting and seems to be in my price range. Would it be able to sufficiently push the 600 ohm version if I get those? 

 

I've heard that the Beyer's sound best with tube amps, any thoughts on this?


Honestly, nope...not the 250s or 600s. I did own it and liked it very much with low impedance (32 ohms or less) headphones or IEMs. But it could not (to my ears) properly drive full sized headphones greater than 32 ohms.

 

As mentioned, the Headroom Micro Amp has gobs of power to drive them to very, very loud volumes with surprisingly good sonic levels.

post #11 of 11
If you could nab something used in the micro Amps range and quality, then go for it. But the inclusion of the high quality dac makes it worth considering as a future source, then later, you could always upgrade your amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just ordered Beyer dt 990's (250) - Need help with gear choice/setup