Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of DACs that work with iPad - Page 6

post #76 of 873

It sucks to be scared to update.  But that is where I am at when it comes to this issue.

post #77 of 873

This sucks!

My refurbed ipad just shipped.

Any idea if the icon mobile will still work with a fully charged battery?

post #78 of 873


Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

It sucks to be scared to update.  But that is where I am at when it comes to this issue.

I was worried, too, but updated anyway.  I guess I will buy one of the adapters on the previous page to see if it fixes the problem (the boxwave adapter that I currently own does not make it work, either).  I mainly use the uDac setup on vacation, which won't be happening for a few months, so I am hoping they update it before then. 

 

The upside is that with the new Airplay feature, I can use it with the two Airport Express units I have in the house without having to plug it in directly to the DAC.  I also have a receiver coming with Airplay, so it will be much better for sending audio from the iPad to better setups (without having to plug in the camera connector).  I wish I did not have to trade off uDac use to get this feature, but it was worth the update for me....also, the new Slingbox app was what made the update a necessity. 

post #79 of 873

Nuforce uDAC-2 now works since iOS 4.2 update but needs a powered hub

post #80 of 873

I guess that's the deal, no longer can usb-powered DACs be powered by the iPad through the camera adapter. I just updated and can confirm that none of the three usb-powered DACs I was using will work anymore. 

 

So if we want to use an external DAC portably with the iPad it will have to have it's own battery. Supposedly the neXt generation of iPads will have a usb port for charging at least, which will hopefully defeat the powered hub requirements as those iPads will be able to be plugged in to AC separately from the dock. But that's not portable, it's just a bit more convenient than using a powered usb hub. The upside is we can plug them both in at once for stationary use and have a wifi hifi device on our coffee table.

 

Has anyone tried the Sendstation Pocketdock with the iPad? It has a usb port for charging, I wonder if there is an I/O there to try but I don't think so.

 

I found a nice powered hub on Amazon for $16 shipped that looks pretty cool and gets decent reviews, so I ordered one to dedicate to the iPad. I definitely don't recommend the Kensington dome hubs; they have a great form factor but two have failed on me for no reason and they're not cheap. I have three unused hubs ATM that don't work anymore and the rest are being used elsewhere. I hates wires!

41Q8hgfJvkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Edited by grokit - 11/30/10 at 9:16pm
post #81 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I guess that's the deal, no longer can usb-powered DACs be powered by the iPad through the camera adapter. I just updated and can confirm that none of the three usb-powered DACs I was using will work anymore. 

 

So if we want to use an external DAC portably with the iPad it will have to have it's own battery. Supposedly the neXt generation of iPads will have a usb port for charging at least, which will hopefully defeat the powered hub requirements as those iPads will be able to be plugged in to AC separately from the dock. But that's not portable, it's just a bit more convenient than using a powered usb hub. The upside is we can plug them both in at once for stationary use and have a wifi hifi device on our coffee table.

 

Has anyone tried the Sendstation Pocketdock with the iPad? It has a usb port for charging, I wonder if there is an I/O there to try but I don't think so.

 

I found a nice powered hub on Amazon for $16 shipped that looks pretty cool and gets decent reviews, so I ordered one to dedicate to the iPad. I definitely don't recommend the Kensington dome hubs; they have a great form factor but two have failed on me for no reason and they're not cheap. I have three unused hubs ATM that don't work anymore and the rest are being used elsewhere. I hates wires!

41Q8hgfJvkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Nice looking dock......

 

I wonder if the quality of the wall-wart is going to affect the sound of the DAC?


Edited by upstateguy - 11/30/10 at 11:17pm
post #82 of 873

Good question, it probably would have to do with the isolation capabilities of the DAC at least as much as the quality of the ac adapter, which can't be that great.


Edited by grokit - 11/30/10 at 10:33pm
post #83 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Good question, it probably would have to do with the isolation capabilities of the DAC at least as much as the quality of the ac adapter, which can't be that great.



Well, some usb power is pretty dirty, so if a dac is designed to run off usb power, it probably has good isolation, wouldn't ya think?

post #84 of 873
Well, I'm not updating yet either. Jailbroken 3.2 is just fine for me.
post #85 of 873

Ya would think wink.gif

post #86 of 873

The Arcam rDAC (http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo,dacs,rDac.htm) works as long as you use a powered USB Hub.

The hub I used for this was a 7 port USB 2.0 HUB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DVC7N6

post #87 of 873

Has anyone found or thought of building a USB A to B cable that has provides 5v regulated power from a 9v battery? It would solve the powered hub issue and allow you to use your DAC + iPad on the move.

 

I haven't had any luck finding one on Google but it should be pretty easy to do. Alas, I'm far too busy/lazy* (delete as applicable) to do it myself.

post #88 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Well, I'm not updating yet either. Jailbroken 3.2 is just fine for me.


Are you saying you upgraded and then went back to 3.2 or just stayed with a jailbroken 3.2?

post #89 of 873

What is the point of a powered USB hub with a portable DAC/amp?  You can't use that on an airplane.

post #90 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

What is the point of a powered USB hub with a portable DAC/amp?  You can't use that on an airplane.



Right, that's why we have to hope that Dr. Bott thing works.  Hope mine arrives today.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad