Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of DACs that work with iPad - Page 40

post #586 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Has anybody had any luck with getting digital audio out of the iPad with an HDMI to Spdif adapter?
If used with the Apple Digital A/V Adapter (instead of the CCK), the iPad could theoretically be charged while outputting digital audio:


There's a thread about these converters, it never really went anywhere (HDCP issues?):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/520782/something-new-hdmi-to-spdif-converter
It seems that there are cheap Chinese "take your chances" units for ~$50, and "reputable" units for ~$200 (sample pictured above). And no guarantee that they will work with an iPad in this fashion.
In the above-mentioned thread it says that when the HDMI is outputted from some tablets the tablet screen goes blank, but this does not seem to be the case with the iPad.
The Apple Store reviews seem somewhat inconclusive, but their Digital A/V Adapter seems designed to mirror.
confused_face(1).gif

Ok, I have a Kudo solar charging case with back up battery for my ipad. It has hdmi out! Bingo!,,,, it lasts for weeks, and also has USB charging for iPhone.
post #587 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ears View Post

Ok, I have a Kudo solar charging case with back up battery for my ipad. It has hdmi out! Bingo!,,,, it lasts for weeks, and also has USB charging for iPhone.

Okay but hdmi to what, how will you extract the digital audio?
post #588 of 858

These devices are also know as HDMI de-embedders. If you look closely, you will there's a SPDIF optical out. I have such a device at home being used as a switch. I'm going to try it tonight with my iPad and much older iPhone & iPod Touch and see how it behaves.

post #589 of 858
I have just downloaded FLAC Player onto my iPad2, and would like to output HD to an external DAC via CCK. The DAC in question, however, only has a SPDIF input. Can you recommend a HD-capable USB to SPDIF converter which does not require a proprietary driver (this, I suppose, rules out the Audio-gd Digital Interface). Transportability would also be nice, but is not essential. Could I use a Hiface 2 with a powered USB hub, or does this need a driver?
post #590 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG888 View Post

I have just downloaded FLAC Player onto my iPad2, and would like to output HD to an external DAC via CCK. The DAC in question, however, only has a SPDIF input. Can you recommend a HD-capable USB to SPDIF converter which does not require a proprietary driver (this, I suppose, rules out the Audio-gd Digital Interface). Transportability would also be nice, but is not essential. Could I use a Hiface 2 with a powered USB hub, or does this need a driver?

http://youtu.be/Mhj8S7bhquk
post #591 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperconductor View Post

These devices are also know as HDMI de-embedders. If you look closely, you will there's a SPDIF optical out. I have such a device at home being used as a switch. I'm going to try it tonight with my iPad and much older iPhone & iPod Touch and see how it behaves.

Did it work?

The cool thing is that I can use the Kudo case and charge it at the same time (using its charger) If I want to- it also keeps the iPad 100% charged...ie... its battery is used first. So if I want to leave the case in the car charging I can take the iPad with me without a case and know it is always 100% charged. So the Kudo case using the HDMI kinda splits the 30 pin digital out and power charging into two different things.


So I'm just hoping.......
Edited by Golden Ears - 11/4/12 at 8:35pm
post #592 of 858

Great thread.  Thanks.

post #593 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ears View Post

Did it work?

X2...

confused.gif
post #594 of 858

Hey Guys, After reading through most of this thread, I've realised that a lot has been updated since the OP.

 

A few questions which I think may have been answered (e.g T3 Hub etc.) but I think some people would like an answer.

 

1. Has anyone tried any DACs on the new Lightning connection with the iPad 4th gen / iPad mini?

 

1a. if so, was it with the Lightning -> 30 pin adapter -> CCK or Lightning -> CCK?

 

2. Would something like the Duracell Mypocket Charger USB work to alleviate the power problem? (it basically adds batteries to the cord between the iPad and DAC)

 

And on a personal question:

Has anyone tried the Audioengine D1 or the NuForce uDAC-2 ? Does either require power?

 

Cheers.

post #595 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeor View Post

Hey Guys, After reading through most of this thread, I've realised that a lot has been updated since the OP.

 

A few questions which I think may have been answered (e.g T3 Hub etc.) but I think some people would like an answer.

 

1. Has anyone tried any DACs on the new Lightning connection with the iPad 4th gen / iPad mini?

 

1a. if so, was it with the Lightning -> 30 pin adapter -> CCK or Lightning -> CCK?

 

2. Would something like the Duracell Mypocket Charger USB work to alleviate the power problem? (it basically adds batteries to the cord between the iPad and DAC)

 

And on a personal question:

Has anyone tried the Audioengine D1 or the NuForce uDAC-2 ? Does either require power?

 

Cheers.

 

Can't answer all the questions, but there is another thread about the new lightning > CCK compatible DACs.  I have read somewhere else that the lightning USB > 30-pin adapter > CCK > DAC also works.

 

I have tried the Audioengine D1 and it does require a powered USB hub.  Had never heard the the Duracell Mypocket Charger before,

post #596 of 858

Thanks for the reply, hopefully I'll get the D1 just for my desktop, then take it to the Apple store and ask if I can see if it works. It's the deciding factor if I get the iPad mini...

 

And the Duracell charger things has an input and output port, so it allows the data signal to pass through it. Sounds promising for portable iPad hifi systems.

post #597 of 858
Does a device like this even exist:

A DAC that can connect to the 30 pin dock, and that also has an s/pdif out.

I'm looking for a way to get digital sound out from my iPad 3 into my Focusrite Saffire 24 audio interface digital input for music production.

Playing lossless music isn't a concern since I use an old iPod for that.

I'd rather not have to use the CCK and a powered hub.
post #598 of 858

The new Solo will do that: http://www.aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-db

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkymagoo View Post

Does a device like this even exist:
A DAC that can connect to the 30 pin dock, and that also has an s/pdif out.
I'm looking for a way to get digital sound out from my iPad 3 into my Focusrite Saffire 24 audio interface digital input for music production.
Playing lossless music isn't a concern since I use an old iPod for that.
I'd rather not have to use the CCK and a powered hub.
post #599 of 858
In addition, VentureCraft DD Socket 1. Doesn't just output coax but optical too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post

The new Solo will do that: http://www.aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-db

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkymagoo View Post

Does a device like this even exist:
A DAC that can connect to the 30 pin dock, and that also has an s/pdif out.
I'm looking for a way to get digital sound out from my iPad 3 into my Focusrite Saffire 24 audio interface digital input for music production.
Playing lossless music isn't a concern since I use an old iPod for that.
I'd rather not have to use the CCK and a powered hub.
post #600 of 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkymagoo View Post

Does a device like this even exist:
A DAC that can connect to the 30 pin dock, and that also has an s/pdif out.
I'm looking for a way to get digital sound out from my iPad 3 into my Focusrite Saffire 24 audio interface digital input for music production.
Playing lossless music isn't a concern since I use an old iPod for that.
I'd rather not have to use the CCK and a powered hub.

 

The Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo and Fostex HP-P1 are portable DACs with an S/PDIF out, and you just connect any 30-pin or Lightning iPod cable to them.  The Nuforce Icon iDo is a desktop digital dock with coax S/PDIF out, and again you just connect any 30-pin or lightning USB cable into it.  No CCK needed.  The upcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8 will have optical digital output, and again you can use any 30-pin or lightning cable to connect to your iDevice.

 

The Cypher Labs is only a DAC.  The HP-P1 also has an amp and DAC built-in, as does the iDo and M8.


Edited by HeadphoneAddict - 11/10/12 at 11:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad