Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of DACs that work with iPad - Page 32

post #466 of 890

If the battery is powering the DAC chip, then yes there's a good chance that it will. If the chip is USB-powered, you could try the Dr Bott but you may be out of luck.

post #467 of 890

does an external DAC work when playing videos as well as music please ?

post #468 of 890

Yes it does, all the sounds will be sent through the DAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post

does an external DAC work when playing videos as well as music please ?

post #469 of 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post

Yes it does, all the sounds will be sent through the DAC.

 

thanks for the reply :) great

post #470 of 890

Great D12 works. Heading to the store and get myself a ipad camera kit.

post #471 of 890

Haven't seen anything about the ODAC. Anyone knows if it would work?

post #472 of 890

Is there an update table for this?

post #473 of 890

Whaich is the better option to use the Audioengine D1 (Dac) with an ipad?

post #474 of 890

To complete my answer; i saw some post trying use the AudioengineD1 with a powered usb Hub.....its work?

post #475 of 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtcolombia View Post

To complete my answer; i saw some post trying use the AudioengineD1 with a powered usb Hub.....its work?

 

When I try the iPad 3 iOS 5.1.1 > CCK > Dr Botts T3 hub (which tells the iPad that the hub is powered when it really isn't) > D1 DAC/amp = the iPad still says the D1 uses too much power.

 

When I switch the hub to a mini sized Belkin wall powered 4 port hub then the D1 works just fine with iPad 3 and CCK.

post #476 of 890

What about usind the audioengine with a dock with digital output (pure, cambridgeaudio?)

post #477 of 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtcolombia View Post

What about usind the audioengine with a dock with digital output (pure, cambridgeaudio?)

 

If you had a iPod dock with optical digital out and feed that into the D1, as long as you give the D1 power via the USB port (wallwart, hub, computer) then you can use it.  My digital dock only has coax out, so I can't use it.

post #478 of 890

I have an ipad 3|Headroom Portable Micro Amp wDAC combo for my headphones (I find it much easier to connect for DAC use than any of my computers since you don't have to change any settings, just plug and play). At the moment I'm using the camera connector with a usb<----->miniusb cable but I'm looking for a single cable (so that its a bit sturdier) to replace it with. So far I've found this:

 

http://goincase.com/products/detail/usb-mini-cable-kit-ec20057

 

Anyone have any other suggestions for a suitable cable?

 

Thanks

Phil

post #479 of 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5750547 View Post

I have an ipad 3|Headroom Portable Micro Amp wDAC combo for my headphones (I find it much easier to connect for DAC use than any of my computers since you don't have to change any settings, just plug and play). At the moment I'm using the camera connector with a usb<----->miniusb cable but I'm looking for a single cable (so that its a bit sturdier) to replace it with. So far I've found this:

 

http://goincase.com/products/detail/usb-mini-cable-kit-ec20057

 

Anyone have any other suggestions for a suitable cable?

 

Thanks

Phil

 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can take CCK out of the chain unless you use a DAC that's MFi (Made for iPod, iPhone, iPad) certified. The digital audio output of the iDevice is encrypted using Apple protocols and as such, you need the decryption key/hardware from apple to get digital audio. I think the CCK includes this decryption hardware and thus allows you to use USB Audio Class compliant DAC with it, It simply won't work without the CCK.

post #480 of 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5750547 View Post

I have an ipad 3|Headroom Portable Micro Amp wDAC combo for my headphones (I find it much easier to connect for DAC use than any of my computers since you don't have to change any settings, just plug and play). At the moment I'm using the camera connector with a usb<----->miniusb cable but I'm looking for a single cable (so that its a bit sturdier) to replace it with. So far I've found this:

 

http://goincase.com/products/detail/usb-mini-cable-kit-ec20057

 

Anyone have any other suggestions for a suitable cable?

 

Thanks

Phil

 

That won't work, the CCK isn't just an adapter. The iPad recognizes it as an interface to exchange data, similar to a "Made for iPod" DAC, which is why the latter doesn't need the CCK. 

Are you using it portable, or just fixed on your desk? If your concern is to have a sturdy cable, you can just keep it in place by using the upright dock, then plug the CCK into that. That way everything stays stable/stationary. Not great if you use the iPad for browsing/reading e-magazines while listening though.

 

It will sort of be like this on your desk: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad