Does the signal passed through the camera connector / USB port get affected by the volume control? I assumed not because I thought the connector signal was digital while the volume control was in the analog stage.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCambridge - Dac Magic - Digital to Analog Convertertagged by System, 8/17/10
- categoryDACstagged by System, 8/17/10
- productHeadAmp pico Upsampling USB DACtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productHeadAmp pico USB DAC/Amptagged by System, 9/20/12
- brandNuForcetagged by System, 8/17/10
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 8/17/10
- topicUsb Audiotagged by System, 8/17/10
Related Forum Threads
- Pico Upsampling USB DAC: Weekend + Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 27-29 only) Last post on 9/20/13 at 8:15am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Android phones and USB DACs Last post on Today at 12:08 am in Portable Source Gear
- Buying Advice: MacBook Pro + USB DAC+ DarkVoice 336C => HD 650 Last post on 2/16/13 at 9:52am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + needed Last post on 10/5/13 at 7:20am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
List of DACs that work with iPad - Page 3
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
That makes sense. What confused me is the post earlier in this thread by JC9394 about the RSA Predator when the review said that he needed to have his volume at 100%. I assume he meant the iPad volume, not the RSA volume. Either one would be problematic.
The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.
The volume control on the iPad does not affect the Hot Audio DAC WOW. The volume control slider goes to the middle when you plug it in but adjusting it does not affect the sound.
And just to nitpick a bit, there is no iTunes music player application on the iPad. The built-in music player is called iPod, and there is a separate app to access the iTunes store.
Edited by grokit - 10/19/10 at 12:01am
Really? That seems very odd that it would with some DACs, and not with others.
In that case, the volume in iTunes needs to be all the way up, all the time, or you would be throwing away resolution.
Why is that odd? That's the way various DACs work on PC/Macs; IME some take away the volume on the computer and some don't. I prefer it when they do, since I still have the amplifier volume control, and can control volume from iTunes as well.
I confirmed the Predator/iPad volume behavior just this weekend at RMAF, when someone was using my iPad and camera connection kit with their Predator, and they got no sound until I took the iPad and turned up the volume within the iPod app (I mispoke and iTunes is the music store app).
I spoke to Ray Samuels this week and he said the volume control needs to be at 100%. Does this mean that the volume control acts as both an analog and digital volume control, depending on how you are using the iPad signal?
Yes, but it also depends on the DAC you use. Some DAC's don't allow the iPad to control the volume.
- List of DACs that work with iPad
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC 38 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › The BEST-LOOKING Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › TDK IE800 Quick Review 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Wearing IEMs in your nose? 5 minutes ago
- › Hello to all of you....just watch it 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi