Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of DACs that work with iPad - Page 3

post #31 of 873

Does the signal passed through the camera connector / USB port get affected by the volume control?  I assumed not because I thought the connector signal was digital while the volume control was in the analog stage.

post #32 of 873

Indeed, Mr. Minches, when using a DAC via the camera connector the iPad volume control does not do anything.

 

post #33 of 873

That makes sense.  What confused me is the post earlier in this thread by JC9394 about the RSA Predator when the review said that he needed to have his volume at 100%.  I assume he meant the iPad volume, not the RSA volume.  Either one would be problematic.

post #34 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


Indeed, Mr. Minches, when using a DAC via the camera connector the iPad volume control does not do anything.



 





Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post


That makes sense.  What confused me is the post earlier in this thread by JC9394 about the RSA Predator when the review said that he needed to have his volume at 100%.  I assume he meant the iPad volume, not the RSA volume.  Either one would be problematic.





The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.
post #35 of 873

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.
 

The volume control on the iPad does not affect the Hot Audio DAC WOW. The volume control slider goes to the middle when you plug it in but adjusting it does not affect the sound.

 

And just to nitpick a bit, there is no iTunes music player application on the iPad. The built-in music player is called iPod, and there is a separate app to access the iTunes store.


Edited by grokit - 10/19/10 at 12:01am
post #36 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post



The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.


Really?  That seems very odd that it would with some DACs, and not with others.

 

In that case, the volume in iTunes needs to be all the way up, all the time, or you would be throwing away resolution.

post #37 of 873

Yes, I believe with the Bithead the volume on the ipad still works.  I can double check tonight.

post #38 of 873

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Really?  That seems very odd that it would with some DACs, and not with others.

 

In that case, the volume in iTunes needs to be all the way up, all the time, or you would be throwing away resolution.


Why is that odd? That's the way various DACs work on PC/Macs; IME some take away the volume on the computer and some don't. I prefer it when they do, since I still have the amplifier volume control, and can control volume from iTunes as well.

post #39 of 873

I confirmed the Predator/iPad volume behavior just this weekend at RMAF, when someone was using my iPad and camera connection kit with their Predator, and they got no sound until I took the iPad and turned up the volume within the iPod app (I mispoke and iTunes is the music store app).

post #40 of 873

I spoke to Ray Samuels this week and he said the volume control needs to be at 100%.  Does this mean that the volume control acts as both an analog and digital volume control, depending on how you are using the iPad signal?

post #41 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

I spoke to Ray Samuels this week and he said the volume control needs to be at 100%.  Does this mean that the volume control acts as both an analog and digital volume control, depending on how you are using the iPad signal?


Yes, but it also depends on the DAC you use.  Some DAC's don't allow the iPad to control the volume.

post #42 of 873

The D12 works.

post #43 of 873
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsissitka View Post

The D12 works.


I assume you mean the iBasso D12?

 

Done.

 

-john

post #44 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfoodog View Post

I assume you mean the iBasso D12?

 

Done.

 

-john


Yes smily_headphones1.gif

post #45 of 873

Got a chance to try this with Buffalo32S. It works!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › List of DACs that work with iPad