Does the signal passed through the camera connector / USB port get affected by the volume control? I assumed not because I thought the connector signal was digital while the volume control was in the analog stage.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCambridge - Dac Magic - Digital to Analog Convertertagged by System, 8/17/10
- categoryDACstagged by System, 8/17/10
- productHeadAmp pico Upsampling USB DACtagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeadAmp pico USB DAC/Amptagged by System, 9/19/12
- brandNuForcetagged by System, 8/17/10
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 8/17/10
- topicUsb Audiotagged by System, 8/17/10
Related Forum Threads
- Pico Upsampling USB DAC: Weekend + Cyber Monday Sale (Nov 27-29 only) Last post on 9/20/13 at 8:15am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- USB DAC recommendation???? Last post on 6/13/12 at 8:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Android phones and USB DACs Last post on Today at 3:56 pm in Portable Source Gear
- Buying Advice: MacBook Pro + USB DAC+ DarkVoice 336C => HD 650 Last post on 2/16/13 at 9:52am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Impressions/Opinions on HRT Music Streamer II + needed Last post on 1/3/14 at 10:30am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
List of DACs that work with iPad - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That makes sense. What confused me is the post earlier in this thread by JC9394 about the RSA Predator when the review said that he needed to have his volume at 100%. I assume he meant the iPad volume, not the RSA volume. Either one would be problematic.
The iPad volume within iTunes does indeed affect the volume through camera connection kit with the Predator, and I'm sure a few other DACs as well.
The volume control on the iPad does not affect the Hot Audio DAC WOW. The volume control slider goes to the middle when you plug it in but adjusting it does not affect the sound.
And just to nitpick a bit, there is no iTunes music player application on the iPad. The built-in music player is called iPod, and there is a separate app to access the iTunes store.
Edited by grokit - 10/19/10 at 12:01am
Really? That seems very odd that it would with some DACs, and not with others.
In that case, the volume in iTunes needs to be all the way up, all the time, or you would be throwing away resolution.
Why is that odd? That's the way various DACs work on PC/Macs; IME some take away the volume on the computer and some don't. I prefer it when they do, since I still have the amplifier volume control, and can control volume from iTunes as well.
I confirmed the Predator/iPad volume behavior just this weekend at RMAF, when someone was using my iPad and camera connection kit with their Predator, and they got no sound until I took the iPad and turned up the volume within the iPod app (I mispoke and iTunes is the music store app).
I spoke to Ray Samuels this week and he said the volume control needs to be at 100%. Does this mean that the volume control acts as both an analog and digital volume control, depending on how you are using the iPad signal?
Yes, but it also depends on the DAC you use. Some DAC's don't allow the iPad to control the volume.
- List of DACs that work with iPad
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chord Hugo 32 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 4 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 9 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 10 minutes ago
- › [DIY] Takstar Pro 80 - Removable cable mod. 11 minutes ago
- › Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 12 minutes ago
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob