Great meet! And yes, thank you papomaster for taking charge of organizing all this, we appreciate!
I had a great time meeting and talking to the people and listening to some of the gear. My quick impressions on the gear:
- Stax 404 setup was great! Listened to piano songs and wow, time stops. Very pleasant listen.
- GS-1000 is really not typical Grado and does not seem all that well suited for Rock. Very detailed, but mids do sound recessed, which seems to play a big role in the large soundstage.
- Denon AH-D5000 didn't really stick with me. Sounds detailed, but something about the bass and the treble together seemed too aggressive and almost artificial. A/B'ed them with the HD800 and it became more apparent.
- Actually didn't even like the HD800 all that much. Sounded like a technical wonder, but emotionally uninvolving. Was on solid state though, maybe tubes would've helped. More time with them would probably have helped too!
- From a brief listen, HD-650 on my MAD Ear+ HD sounded tighter in the bass and seemed to have a better soundstage than my HD-600. Go figure! Would love to make the comparison again in the future.
- ATH-AD2000 on the Ear+ HD sounded pretty damn good, too!
- Vinyl + RA1 + RS1i = mighty impressive. I think the vinyl played a bigger part here.
I wish I had more time to listen to some of the gear present. I still can't believe the guy came at like 5:15 to tell us the room rental ended at 6:00, even though papomaster was told over the phone it was going to be till 9:00! I totally missed out on pompom's rig.
Oh well, there's always next time. Can't wait!