Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › westone 3 distortion, help needid please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

westone 3 distortion, help needid please

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

hi guys.

 

was just wondering if this is normal or my w3 are faulty, i started recently using my w3 on high gain with my alo rx paired with a 3rd gen ipod touch and when i go above half the way up on the volume on the rx the w3 starts distorting and gets worse as i turn the volume higher so i tried the same with my copper turbines and ie8 and even the beats tour and i get no distortion at all with any of them even with the volume on the rx at full, so can you guys tell me if this is just how the westone 3 is or if i have a faulty pair.

i live in the uk so i emailed westone about this and at first got a reply asking me to tell them what source im using the w3 with so i told them everything i mentioned above and since then im getting no reply from them at all and iv been emailing them everyday for the last week but no reply.

 

so was hoping that you guys could help.

 

thanks

 

matt

 

p.s one of the lod i use is the alo triple pipe cryo but it dont make a difference with any


Edited by matty - 8/14/10 at 6:36pm
post #2 of 12

I take it the alo rx is an amp ? it must not be very powerful as there is no way i could listen to the westone3 with the volume on my heron at half way ,they would blow my ears off , neither could i listen to ie8 or coppers at full volume , my ears would burst even if the drivers did not.

 

At 30 percent volume which is way load enough i hear no distortion on the westone 3 ,i am using line out to ipod,are you using line out or head phone socket  ?

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post

I take it the alo rx is an amp ? it must not be very powerful as there is no way i could listen to the westone3 with the volume on my heron at half way ,they would blow my ears off , neither could i listen to ie8 or coppers at full volume , my ears would burst even if the drivers did not.

 

At 30 percent volume which is way load enough i hear no distortion on the westone 3 ,i am using line out to ipod,are you using line out or head phone socket  ?



im also using an lod as stated, and yes the rx is a portable amp and is quite powerfull as anyone here could tell you im sure. iv never tried the amp your using but at 30% volume with my rx on the westones its not very load for me. do you actually get any distortion at all when you turn uo the volume if if you dont actually listen to it that load as that was really the question i was asking.


Edited by matty - 8/15/10 at 8:17am
post #4 of 12

I think the best way to check if the W3s are faulty is to bi-pass any amps. Just monitor them through an iPod or the headphone out of your computer, if there is no distortion, then your W3s are not faulty.

post #5 of 12

30 %on my amp is LOUD with the westone 3 , believe me ,and no , get no distortion at all , are sure you mean distortion and not sibilance(harsh piercing treble in the vocals) , they can be very sibilant with the wrong tips for you , and the louder you play them the worse the sibilance will sound.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post





im also using an lod as stated, and yes the rx is a portable amp and is quite powerfull as anyone here could tell you im sure. iv never tried the amp your using but at 30% volume with my rx on the westones its not very load for me. do you actually get any distortion at all when you turn uo the volume if if you dont actually listen to it that load as that was really the question i was asking.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post

30 %on my amp is LOUD with the westone 3 , believe me ,and no , get no distortion at all , are sure you mean distortion and not sibilance(harsh piercing treble in the vocals) , they can be very sibilant with the wrong tips for you , and the louder you play them the worse the sibilance will sound.
 


 



Luco, which tip do you use on the W3's?  I have a pair coming in a few days and before I search out the W3 threads, I thought I'd ask you.

post #7 of 12

 I use 2 monster hybrid foam tips on a comply core on each nozzle , this eliminates all sibilance for me ,   you may find one is enough though if you use them575.JPGnough 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post





Luco, which tip do you use on the W3's?  I have a pair coming in a few days and before I search out the W3 threads, I thought I'd ask you.

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post

30 %on my amp is LOUD with the westone 3 , believe me ,and no , get no distortion at all , are sure you mean distortion and not sibilance(harsh piercing treble in the vocals) , they can be very sibilant with the wrong tips for you , and the louder you play them the worse the sibilance will sound.
 


 



no its not sibilance, everything just starts crackling, dont really know how to explain it, it just sounds like a broken speaker but i dont get this with none of my other iems which makes me think they must be faulty.

post #9 of 12

If its crackling than it sounds like the a driver has blown , i had that problem on my original set off coppers , i just sent them back to the retailer and they sent me a new set 3 days latter.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post





no its not sibilance, everything just starts crackling, dont really know how to explain it, it just sounds like a broken speaker but i dont get this with none of my other iems which makes me think they must be faulty.

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post

If its crackling than it sounds like the a driver has blown , i had that problem on my original set off coppers , i just sent them back to the retailer and they sent me a new set 3 days latter.
 


 



can armature ( think thats how you spell it ) still blow then

post #11 of 12


Wow, that's quite a tip!!  LOL  I assume the standard Monster tips are too big to fit the W3's nozzle, so the Comply core is needed to secure them?  Do regular Comply's kill the highs? 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post

 I use 2 monster hybrid foam tips on a comply core on each nozzle , this eliminates all sibilance for me ,   you may find one is enough though if you use them575.JPGnough 

 


 
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post


Wow, that's quite a tip!!  LOL  I assume the standard Monster tips are too big to fit the W3's nozzle, so the Comply core is needed to secure them?  Do regular Comply's kill the highs? 
 


 


The w3 comes with the regular comply tips and the longer ones p series i think , they do kill the highs on most iem's and bloat the bass ,but on the w3 they just bloated the bass and didnt tame the highs at all , and yes monster tips are the same size as TF10 tips and have large openings and w3 tips are the same size as shure tips and have narrow openings 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › westone 3 distortion, help needid please