Need some input here. I'm thinking of upgrading my old Denon headphones that I periodically use when watching TV (movies) to a Grado SR 60i or the Audio Technica M50. However, my question is, if I use an extended cable that I can plug to my TV, will that affect the sound quality? By the way, I'm new to this audio forum and I'm happy that such a thing exist. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- help with choosing headphones? Last post on 12/31/10 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding: Grado SR80 vs. ATH M50 Last post on 9/5/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bright PRAT : M50 recabled or T50p, D1001, DT660 / D7000, W5000? Last post on 8/1/10 at 12:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Did I Buy the Wrong Cans (not this time I hope...ordered HF2) Last post on 10/21/10 at 9:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser 598s or Grados? Last post on 9/21/12 at 4:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
Would using an extended cable affect the sound quality of the headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 148/8/10 at 1:54pmpost #3 of 148/8/10 at 2:37pm
When you say "extended cable", are you referring to the ones that literally extend your cable by x feet? Just making sure you're not referring to a headphone jack adapter or something. But yeah, the really cheap extension cables can. What kind are you using now?post #4 of 148/8/10 at 5:14pmYou'll get some power loss with very long runs of cable, but adding another 10 or 12 feet probably wouldn't matter much. Maybe you'll have to turn it up a touch more. Don't worry about it - get the extension cable you need so you can enjoy your headphones.post #5 of 148/8/10 at 5:55pm
I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine.post #6 of 148/8/10 at 5:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by moodyrn
I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine.
I second this.post #7 of 148/8/10 at 6:12pm
I have used up to 30 feet of cabling with my Sennheiser HD201, and hear no difference... Using the cables with my Etymotic Mc5 the volume may be very slightly lower... I would have to A/B it.post #8 of 148/8/10 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 148/8/10 at 8:31pm
Originally Posted by moodyrn
" I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine."
If I didn't have ten thumbs and two left hands I'd do these kind of projects myself. LoLpost #10 of 148/9/10 at 6:46pmThread Starter
Well I'm thinking of getting about an extended cable that is no longer that 12-15 feet if that even. Right now these are just thoughts because I don't know what are good cables to use if it even makes a difference. Now that I've read that monster cables are just rubbish and over priced for what it does, I just don't want to be duped into buying something that I really don't necessarily have to get. In other words, would any cable suffice or should I be looking for something with a gold plated tip jack. Sorry for the lame questions, I'm learning more about this world of audiophiles. I appreciate any input. Thanks.post #11 of 148/9/10 at 7:26pm
I have never heard a difference between cables, even longer or shorter ones... even the radioshack ones previously mentioned, which I use, don't seem to increase or decrease the sound quality... My advice is to get something cheap and durable.post #12 of 148/9/10 at 7:52pm
I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money on one, but I wouldn't advice getting a really cheap one from radio shack. I can hear a difference with them, you may not. But the reason I would advise against them is their build quality. I've bought cables and plugs from them in the past that didn't last. Infact, the extension cable I previously mentioned, the the left and right channels were reversed. I had to wear my headphones backwards.
Edited by moodyrn - 8/9/10 at 7:54pmpost #13 of 148/9/10 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #14 of 148/9/10 at 8:59pm
Look around on Ebay. There are a lot of sellers offering excellent extension cables made with Canare or Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. The best there is unless you are into over priced boutique stuff.
- Would using an extended cable affect the sound quality of the headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Upgrade my HD650 setup 29 seconds ago
- › What is Limiting my Bass With my Beyerdynamic DT 770's When Used on... 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K1000 ***Mint - Bought unused 4 weeks ago!!!**** 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Tube amp into A/V receiver? 8 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Please quickly recommend an In-Ear headphone to get for $200 and... 9 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)