Need some input here. I'm thinking of upgrading my old Denon headphones that I periodically use when watching TV (movies) to a Grado SR 60i or the Audio Technica M50. However, my question is, if I use an extended cable that I can plug to my TV, will that affect the sound quality? By the way, I'm new to this audio forum and I'm happy that such a thing exist. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- help with choosing headphones? Last post on 12/31/10 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding: Grado SR80 vs. ATH M50 Last post on 9/5/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bright PRAT : M50 recabled or T50p, D1001, DT660 / D7000, W5000? Last post on 8/1/10 at 12:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Did I Buy the Wrong Cans (not this time I hope...ordered HF2) Last post on 10/21/10 at 9:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser 598s or Grados? Last post on 9/21/12 at 4:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
Would using an extended cable affect the sound quality of the headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 148/8/10 at 1:54pmpost #3 of 148/8/10 at 2:37pm
When you say "extended cable", are you referring to the ones that literally extend your cable by x feet? Just making sure you're not referring to a headphone jack adapter or something. But yeah, the really cheap extension cables can. What kind are you using now?post #4 of 148/8/10 at 5:14pmYou'll get some power loss with very long runs of cable, but adding another 10 or 12 feet probably wouldn't matter much. Maybe you'll have to turn it up a touch more. Don't worry about it - get the extension cable you need so you can enjoy your headphones.post #5 of 148/8/10 at 5:55pm
I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine.post #6 of 148/8/10 at 5:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by moodyrn
I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine.
I second this.post #7 of 148/8/10 at 6:12pm
I have used up to 30 feet of cabling with my Sennheiser HD201, and hear no difference... Using the cables with my Etymotic Mc5 the volume may be very slightly lower... I would have to A/B it.post #8 of 148/8/10 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 148/8/10 at 8:31pm
Originally Posted by moodyrn
" I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine."
If I didn't have ten thumbs and two left hands I'd do these kind of projects myself. LoLpost #10 of 148/9/10 at 6:46pmThread Starter
Well I'm thinking of getting about an extended cable that is no longer that 12-15 feet if that even. Right now these are just thoughts because I don't know what are good cables to use if it even makes a difference. Now that I've read that monster cables are just rubbish and over priced for what it does, I just don't want to be duped into buying something that I really don't necessarily have to get. In other words, would any cable suffice or should I be looking for something with a gold plated tip jack. Sorry for the lame questions, I'm learning more about this world of audiophiles. I appreciate any input. Thanks.post #11 of 148/9/10 at 7:26pm
I have never heard a difference between cables, even longer or shorter ones... even the radioshack ones previously mentioned, which I use, don't seem to increase or decrease the sound quality... My advice is to get something cheap and durable.post #12 of 148/9/10 at 7:52pm
I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money on one, but I wouldn't advice getting a really cheap one from radio shack. I can hear a difference with them, you may not. But the reason I would advise against them is their build quality. I've bought cables and plugs from them in the past that didn't last. Infact, the extension cable I previously mentioned, the the left and right channels were reversed. I had to wear my headphones backwards.
Edited by moodyrn - 8/9/10 at 7:54pmpost #13 of 148/9/10 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #14 of 148/9/10 at 8:59pm
Look around on Ebay. There are a lot of sellers offering excellent extension cables made with Canare or Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. The best there is unless you are into over priced boutique stuff.
- Would using an extended cable affect the sound quality of the headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 55 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 3 minutes ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 4 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 8 minutes ago
- › accuracy is subjective 8 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear