Need some input here. I'm thinking of upgrading my old Denon headphones that I periodically use when watching TV (movies) to a Grado SR 60i or the Audio Technica M50. However, my question is, if I use an extended cable that I can plug to my TV, will that affect the sound quality? By the way, I'm new to this audio forum and I'm happy that such a thing exist. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- help with choosing headphones? Last post on 12/31/10 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding: Grado SR80 vs. ATH M50 Last post on 9/5/10 at 10:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bright PRAT : M50 recabled or T50p, D1001, DT660 / D7000, W5000? Last post on 8/1/10 at 12:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Did I Buy the Wrong Cans (not this time I hope...ordered HF2) Last post on 10/21/10 at 9:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser 598s or Grados? Last post on 9/21/12 at 4:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
Would using an extended cable affect the sound quality of the headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 148/8/10 at 1:54pmpost #3 of 148/8/10 at 2:37pm
When you say "extended cable", are you referring to the ones that literally extend your cable by x feet? Just making sure you're not referring to a headphone jack adapter or something. But yeah, the really cheap extension cables can. What kind are you using now?post #4 of 148/8/10 at 5:14pmYou'll get some power loss with very long runs of cable, but adding another 10 or 12 feet probably wouldn't matter much. Maybe you'll have to turn it up a touch more. Don't worry about it - get the extension cable you need so you can enjoy your headphones.post #5 of 148/8/10 at 5:55pm
I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine.post #6 of 148/8/10 at 5:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by moodyrn
I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine.
I second this.post #7 of 148/8/10 at 6:12pm
I have used up to 30 feet of cabling with my Sennheiser HD201, and hear no difference... Using the cables with my Etymotic Mc5 the volume may be very slightly lower... I would have to A/B it.post #8 of 148/8/10 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 148/8/10 at 8:31pm
Originally Posted by moodyrn
" I bought a cheap one from radio shack and it did make a difference. The highs were a little smeared and the bass impact was a little less. Then I diy'ed one using 18awg 99.99& copper speaker wire from monoprice and neutrik connectors and heard no difference. That only cost me about 20.00. So as long as the cable is too cheap, you should be fine."
If I didn't have ten thumbs and two left hands I'd do these kind of projects myself. LoLpost #10 of 148/9/10 at 6:46pmThread Starter
Well I'm thinking of getting about an extended cable that is no longer that 12-15 feet if that even. Right now these are just thoughts because I don't know what are good cables to use if it even makes a difference. Now that I've read that monster cables are just rubbish and over priced for what it does, I just don't want to be duped into buying something that I really don't necessarily have to get. In other words, would any cable suffice or should I be looking for something with a gold plated tip jack. Sorry for the lame questions, I'm learning more about this world of audiophiles. I appreciate any input. Thanks.post #11 of 148/9/10 at 7:26pm
I have never heard a difference between cables, even longer or shorter ones... even the radioshack ones previously mentioned, which I use, don't seem to increase or decrease the sound quality... My advice is to get something cheap and durable.post #12 of 148/9/10 at 7:52pm
I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money on one, but I wouldn't advice getting a really cheap one from radio shack. I can hear a difference with them, you may not. But the reason I would advise against them is their build quality. I've bought cables and plugs from them in the past that didn't last. Infact, the extension cable I previously mentioned, the the left and right channels were reversed. I had to wear my headphones backwards.
Edited by moodyrn - 8/9/10 at 7:54pmpost #13 of 148/9/10 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #14 of 148/9/10 at 8:59pm
Look around on Ebay. There are a lot of sellers offering excellent extension cables made with Canare or Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. The best there is unless you are into over priced boutique stuff.
- Would using an extended cable affect the sound quality of the headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Popular Classical Music 2 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Home dac/amp ~100€ 2 minutes ago
- › Portable amp/dac for android & headphones 4 minutes ago
- › New J.V.C "Wood" 01 and 02 4 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 31 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO A1 International Shipping 5 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 6 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 6 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...