I've got an icon mobile and it's not bad. Emphasises details over my laptop/iriver h340. The one thing I've noticed though and I don't know if this is normal or if it's defective but when it's charging I'm getting a slightly annoying high pitched whine through it. You don't notice it all the time, just quieter tracks, but it can be very annoying at times.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 8/16/10
- productAiaiai TMA-1tagged by System, 8/16/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/10
- productNuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 3/24/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/10
- productSennheiser HD 25 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
Related Forum Threads
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 3/8/15 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- aiaiai tma-1 studio MIA? Last post on 6/29/12 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AIAIAI TMA-1 or Senhieser hd-25? Last post on 1/8/14 at 4:23am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer... Last post on 6/19/16 at 12:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So... about the hd25 and aiaiaitma-1 Last post on 10/3/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
Very detailed quality sound . I am able to find details which missed before. Details with layer and staging. Staging and positioning isn't huge or odd. But I can feel it in my head when listening...
Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank the 1More team for giving these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from as much as an objective standpoint as possible....
This is a review of the Advanced AcousticWerkes Nebula 2 IEM’s. The Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Nebula 2 was sent to me from MusicTeck who is the authorized dealer in the US for AWW. A big...
AIAIAI TMA-1 - Page 60post #886 of 13147/24/11 at 3:06pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #887 of 13147/24/11 at 3:19pm
It's normal. The E7 does that, too.
Quote:Originally Posted by WobblyGoblin
I've got an icon mobile and it's not bad. Emphasises details over my laptop/iriver h340. The one thing I've noticed though and I don't know if this is normal or if it's defective but when it's charging I'm getting a slightly annoying high pitched whine through it. You don't notice it all the time, just quieter tracks, but it can be very annoying at times.post #888 of 13147/24/11 at 6:39pm
Thanks, to me that seems like terrible design given you can't even disable charging on the icon mobile...
post #889 of 13147/25/11 at 7:41amQuote:
The Icon is the one product I've returned without listening to. The build quality was so bad I returned it right out of the box.
EDIT: Well, I gave it a listen for a bit. I'd already decided to return it though.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 7/25/11 at 7:43ampost #890 of 13147/25/11 at 5:25pmI can't say that's bothered me so much. I've dropped mine plenty of times and generally leave it unsecured with my iriver in my bag and aside from a couple of unsurprising minor dents in the metal cover it has stood up pretty well. Now if only it'd stop whining!post #891 of 13147/25/11 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the quick response, guys. So in your opinion, do you think the TMA-1s "need" an amp or a dac? Or is it enough the sound coming out from my ipod touch? Do the quality of sound varies a lot? if needed, which amp/dac would you recommend?post #892 of 13147/25/11 at 9:09pm
They don't need one, but they benefit from the right one. My favorite pair with it was the Headstage Arrow 3G (although the 4G may be a better option). Did an excellent job of lifting the veil that they suffer from.
I would strongly recommend getting EQu for your Touch and bumping up the mids just a little. Makes them even stronger, IMO.
Quote:post #893 of 13147/25/11 at 9:15pm
From what I have learned through experience of others and my own:
A DAC can be incredibly useful and will have a substantial impact in sound if a source's intergrated DAC is sub-par. Most notable benefit would be extended detail and sound stage (think of it as a sound card, but for portable devices). Because you are playing music through your iPod, you can completely bypass it's DAC with a proper cable (plugs in to the bottom; otherwise plugging it in to the 3.5mm defeats the purpose of a DAC)
An Amp is nice to have if your source is already clean and well ranged. It can further tailor the SS of a headphone; and in some cases synergise very well. However, if you have a crappy signal (line noise) and you try to amp it, you'll just end up with more crap
Edited by aleki - 7/25/11 at 9:18pmpost #894 of 13148/15/11 at 9:31pm
Just recently bought these out of the classifieds and waiting for them to arrive. From what I've read so far, the sound sig is different from what I normally prefer, but I'd like to try something new. What are some good albums that sound nice through these?post #895 of 13148/16/11 at 10:43am
Almost anything under the Electronic umbrella. They do it sooooo well. Really anything with some fun bass (as that's the best part of the TMA-1).
Quote:post #896 of 13148/16/11 at 7:01pm
Alright, thanks for the suggestion. Don't know or have heard much of electronic styled music other than Scorn. Looks like I'll need to hit up lastfm.
Quote:post #897 of 13148/22/11 at 8:07pmpost #898 of 13148/27/11 at 5:07pmpost #899 of 13149/7/11 at 6:55pm
how does the sound compare to the HD650? does anybody have both or have experience with both? im looking for a portable set that sound somewhat similar. what i wanna know is whether the TMA-1's have more or less bass than the HD650, and more or less treble than the HD650. i have come to realize my ears aren't quite the golden ears i thought they were, but i also dont want another headphone as bassy and dead up top as the XB500's either.
NEVERMIND - i found this review and the reviewer states over and over how similar these are to the HD650's.
Edited by jasonb - 9/7/11 at 7:15pmpost #900 of 13149/10/11 at 5:18pm
I received one of these yesterday. I put maybe 2.5 hours on them already and I am very impressed.
DURABILITY, BUILD & COMFORT:
The design is simple yet beautiful. They seem well built and durable, only had them a day, but I can see they lasting me a very long time. They are comfortable on the ears but where the headband rests on my head is not the most comfortable. I plan to fix that comfort issue though. I already taped some foam to the bottom of the headband, but it still doesn't seem soft enough to be worn for hours at a time. I plan to come up with something to make the headband feel better on my head. It may be the same basic idea that I'm already using just with thicker foam, we will see. The package I received has 2 sets of earpads. It must be a newer packaging though because one of the two sets is not the plain foam pads I have seen pictures of. One feels like real leather, the other is a thinner obviously fake leather. I have actually been using the thinner fake leather looking ones, the ones that look and feel like the pads on the Koss DJ100.
All of my listening with these has been from my iPhone 4's headphone out (no extra amping) using mostly 320kbps mp3. This source seems to work very well with them as it drives them plenty loud and just sounds very good overall. I'd describe what I am hearing as warm, smooth, but still very detailed with a very good sound-stage considering it's a small closed headphone. They are very smooth with nothing exaggerated or missing. The bass and mids seem to run the show and the treble is just there along for the ride. They have a present bass, but are not bass cannons like the XB series from Sony, they are still pretty balanced. The bass is both punchy when called for, and deep and rumbles when asked to. The mid-range is very nice, not to forward, but definitely not recessed either. The higher end is smooth and never sibilant or tiring. It's decently extended and can still be a bit sparkly and airy, but the treble is definitely not going to steal the show. The overall sound signature in terms of frequency response is pretty close to my HD650's and my Sleek Audio SA6's in the treble+ and bass+ tuning configuration. I pretty much have 3 different setups that all sound pretty similar. This is the sound that I prefer, so that's fine with me.
The sound-stage is actually pretty wide, even when comparing to my desktop setup which is a HeadRoom amp/DAC and HD650's. However, I admit that I do use the crossfeed on my HeadRoom amp when listening to the HD650's which does kill some width and separation in exchange for some depth. So comparing the sound-stage and imaging, the TMA-1's sound just as wide, but lack a bit of depth. When comparing the two (again, with crossfeed on the HD650's) I hear better stereo separation on the TMA-1/iPhone 4 setup, but that should be a given considering what crossfeed does, so no surprise there. The two sound close in terms of detail. Both produce excellent detail, the crossfeed once again probably effects the HD650's here as well. I'm actually starting to realize the negative effects of crossfeed as I'm listening and writing this.
When comparing sound-stage and imaging of the TMA-1'a to my SA6's, it's no contest. The TMA's being a headphone rather than an earphone explain that. The SA6's don't have a bad sound-stage for an IEM, but the TMA's just kick their ass here. The extra width also makes stereo separation seem that much better too. The TMA's can definitely give an out of the head width on the right music. Certain Rush and Yes songs are quite an experience on these.
I listen to quite a range of music, anywhere from dubstep to rock/metal then back to ambient/chillout/downtempo. These do well with all of it since they have a somewhat balanced sound.
I got them for $159, open box from an authorized seller on ebay, and for the price they are definitely well worth it. If anybody is looking for a cheaper, smaller, easier to power HD650 with better isolation, better portability and less sound leakage, this is the answer.
- AIAIAI TMA-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 19 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Something new from Earsonics is comming....september 27th... 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...