I've got an icon mobile and it's not bad. Emphasises details over my laptop/iriver h340. The one thing I've noticed though and I don't know if this is normal or if it's defective but when it's charging I'm getting a slightly annoying high pitched whine through it. You don't notice it all the time, just quieter tracks, but it can be very annoying at times.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 8/16/10
- productAiaiai TMA-1tagged by System, 8/16/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/10
- productNuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 3/24/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/10
- productSennheiser HD 25 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/9/11
Related Forum Threads
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 3/8/15 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- aiaiai tma-1 studio MIA? Last post on 6/29/12 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AIAIAI TMA-1 or Senhieser hd-25? Last post on 1/8/14 at 4:23am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer... Last post on 11/22/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- So... about the hd25 and aiaiaitma-1 Last post on 10/3/11 at 4:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It is nearing two months since I was introduced to the original Monk earbuds by Venture Electronics. They left quite the impression on me and my views on price-to-performance ratio in audio...
T-PEOS RASIEL Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to T-PEOS for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/807332/t-peos-rasiel-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Finder X1...
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
AIAIAI TMA-1 - Page 60post #886 of 13087/24/11 at 3:06pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #887 of 13087/24/11 at 3:19pm
It's normal. The E7 does that, too.
Quote:Originally Posted by WobblyGoblin
I've got an icon mobile and it's not bad. Emphasises details over my laptop/iriver h340. The one thing I've noticed though and I don't know if this is normal or if it's defective but when it's charging I'm getting a slightly annoying high pitched whine through it. You don't notice it all the time, just quieter tracks, but it can be very annoying at times.post #888 of 13087/24/11 at 6:39pm
Thanks, to me that seems like terrible design given you can't even disable charging on the icon mobile...
post #889 of 13087/25/11 at 7:41amQuote:
The Icon is the one product I've returned without listening to. The build quality was so bad I returned it right out of the box.
EDIT: Well, I gave it a listen for a bit. I'd already decided to return it though.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 7/25/11 at 7:43ampost #890 of 13087/25/11 at 5:25pmI can't say that's bothered me so much. I've dropped mine plenty of times and generally leave it unsecured with my iriver in my bag and aside from a couple of unsurprising minor dents in the metal cover it has stood up pretty well. Now if only it'd stop whining!post #891 of 13087/25/11 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the quick response, guys. So in your opinion, do you think the TMA-1s "need" an amp or a dac? Or is it enough the sound coming out from my ipod touch? Do the quality of sound varies a lot? if needed, which amp/dac would you recommend?post #892 of 13087/25/11 at 9:09pm
They don't need one, but they benefit from the right one. My favorite pair with it was the Headstage Arrow 3G (although the 4G may be a better option). Did an excellent job of lifting the veil that they suffer from.
I would strongly recommend getting EQu for your Touch and bumping up the mids just a little. Makes them even stronger, IMO.
Quote:post #893 of 13087/25/11 at 9:15pm
From what I have learned through experience of others and my own:
A DAC can be incredibly useful and will have a substantial impact in sound if a source's intergrated DAC is sub-par. Most notable benefit would be extended detail and sound stage (think of it as a sound card, but for portable devices). Because you are playing music through your iPod, you can completely bypass it's DAC with a proper cable (plugs in to the bottom; otherwise plugging it in to the 3.5mm defeats the purpose of a DAC)
An Amp is nice to have if your source is already clean and well ranged. It can further tailor the SS of a headphone; and in some cases synergise very well. However, if you have a crappy signal (line noise) and you try to amp it, you'll just end up with more crap
Edited by aleki - 7/25/11 at 9:18pmpost #894 of 13088/15/11 at 9:31pm
Just recently bought these out of the classifieds and waiting for them to arrive. From what I've read so far, the sound sig is different from what I normally prefer, but I'd like to try something new. What are some good albums that sound nice through these?post #895 of 13088/16/11 at 10:43am
Almost anything under the Electronic umbrella. They do it sooooo well. Really anything with some fun bass (as that's the best part of the TMA-1).
Quote:post #896 of 13088/16/11 at 7:01pm
Alright, thanks for the suggestion. Don't know or have heard much of electronic styled music other than Scorn. Looks like I'll need to hit up lastfm.
Quote:post #897 of 13088/22/11 at 8:07pmpost #898 of 13088/27/11 at 5:07pmpost #899 of 13089/7/11 at 6:55pm
how does the sound compare to the HD650? does anybody have both or have experience with both? im looking for a portable set that sound somewhat similar. what i wanna know is whether the TMA-1's have more or less bass than the HD650, and more or less treble than the HD650. i have come to realize my ears aren't quite the golden ears i thought they were, but i also dont want another headphone as bassy and dead up top as the XB500's either.
NEVERMIND - i found this review and the reviewer states over and over how similar these are to the HD650's.
Edited by jasonb - 9/7/11 at 7:15pmpost #900 of 13089/10/11 at 5:18pm
I received one of these yesterday. I put maybe 2.5 hours on them already and I am very impressed.
DURABILITY, BUILD & COMFORT:
The design is simple yet beautiful. They seem well built and durable, only had them a day, but I can see they lasting me a very long time. They are comfortable on the ears but where the headband rests on my head is not the most comfortable. I plan to fix that comfort issue though. I already taped some foam to the bottom of the headband, but it still doesn't seem soft enough to be worn for hours at a time. I plan to come up with something to make the headband feel better on my head. It may be the same basic idea that I'm already using just with thicker foam, we will see. The package I received has 2 sets of earpads. It must be a newer packaging though because one of the two sets is not the plain foam pads I have seen pictures of. One feels like real leather, the other is a thinner obviously fake leather. I have actually been using the thinner fake leather looking ones, the ones that look and feel like the pads on the Koss DJ100.
All of my listening with these has been from my iPhone 4's headphone out (no extra amping) using mostly 320kbps mp3. This source seems to work very well with them as it drives them plenty loud and just sounds very good overall. I'd describe what I am hearing as warm, smooth, but still very detailed with a very good sound-stage considering it's a small closed headphone. They are very smooth with nothing exaggerated or missing. The bass and mids seem to run the show and the treble is just there along for the ride. They have a present bass, but are not bass cannons like the XB series from Sony, they are still pretty balanced. The bass is both punchy when called for, and deep and rumbles when asked to. The mid-range is very nice, not to forward, but definitely not recessed either. The higher end is smooth and never sibilant or tiring. It's decently extended and can still be a bit sparkly and airy, but the treble is definitely not going to steal the show. The overall sound signature in terms of frequency response is pretty close to my HD650's and my Sleek Audio SA6's in the treble+ and bass+ tuning configuration. I pretty much have 3 different setups that all sound pretty similar. This is the sound that I prefer, so that's fine with me.
The sound-stage is actually pretty wide, even when comparing to my desktop setup which is a HeadRoom amp/DAC and HD650's. However, I admit that I do use the crossfeed on my HeadRoom amp when listening to the HD650's which does kill some width and separation in exchange for some depth. So comparing the sound-stage and imaging, the TMA-1's sound just as wide, but lack a bit of depth. When comparing the two (again, with crossfeed on the HD650's) I hear better stereo separation on the TMA-1/iPhone 4 setup, but that should be a given considering what crossfeed does, so no surprise there. The two sound close in terms of detail. Both produce excellent detail, the crossfeed once again probably effects the HD650's here as well. I'm actually starting to realize the negative effects of crossfeed as I'm listening and writing this.
When comparing sound-stage and imaging of the TMA-1'a to my SA6's, it's no contest. The TMA's being a headphone rather than an earphone explain that. The SA6's don't have a bad sound-stage for an IEM, but the TMA's just kick their ass here. The extra width also makes stereo separation seem that much better too. The TMA's can definitely give an out of the head width on the right music. Certain Rush and Yes songs are quite an experience on these.
I listen to quite a range of music, anywhere from dubstep to rock/metal then back to ambient/chillout/downtempo. These do well with all of it since they have a somewhat balanced sound.
I got them for $159, open box from an authorized seller on ebay, and for the price they are definitely well worth it. If anybody is looking for a cheaper, smaller, easier to power HD650 with better isolation, better portability and less sound leakage, this is the answer.
- AIAIAI TMA-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Home-Made IEMs 16 seconds ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 45 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics asg2.5 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeaker Mad Dog Pros 3 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 3 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by Aornic
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by mark2410
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...