I was thinking about picking up either the Sennheiser 600 or 650. I realize these models would be hungry for power. Would my 100 watt receiver be enough to propely drive these without the need to buy another amp? Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- [Suggestions] Looking for new open-back headphones... Last post on 10/2/11 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 | What Amp to invest in, currently have a Xonar Essence STX Last post on 8/27/11 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 Help and Info Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?post #1 of 208/6/10 at 9:58pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 208/6/10 at 10:01pmpost #3 of 208/7/10 at 12:13amYes, most receivers drive headphones just fine. If you're shopping for a receiver, take your headphones along and give each a listen. If you don't hear any distortion or other problems, the receiver should work fine.post #4 of 208/7/10 at 12:16amQuote:
I wouldn't vouch on getting the most out of the HD650's with a receivers headphone jack.
I didn't like the receiver out for my Grado's,the HD650 would be even harder.post #5 of 208/7/10 at 12:19ampost #6 of 208/7/10 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 208/7/10 at 1:51pm
What? Only if you drive them from the speaker taps with a signal that used all 100 watts.... not likely. That is why they put headphone jacks on recievers...post #8 of 208/7/10 at 1:57pmpost #9 of 208/7/10 at 2:18pm
But I think he means drive them properly, which in that case I'm afraid to say a lot of the modern mass produced receivers don't do too good a job. Marantz ones do a decent job, but a lot of other's have a very underpowered headphone circuit.
I'm not to knowledgeable in the this area, but I would say look into a Marantz made one.
You could driver them from the speaker output like I have done in the past, but you have to really watch the volume dial.post #10 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pm
You never know until you try it. My Panny digital reciever headphone out is just awful! Noisy as hell, really harsh sounding. My squeezebox headphone out is almost as bad. Sound quality out of my Fuze or Zune is much much better, but ofcourse they don't go loud enough. Then dedicated headphone amps are at another level all together.
So, don't expect to get any great sound sound from a reciever today. People do have good luck with vintage recievers though.post #11 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pmA receiver won't fry headphones. Usually, the headphone jack is fed by the main amp with resistors to drop the power. Granted, most receivers run in class AB and aren't ideal amps, but they're much better at delivering power than a portable amp.post #12 of 208/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #13 of 208/7/10 at 7:18pm
Sarcasm mate, sarcasm. I know the headphone output on receivers is (usually) stepped down or a separate circuit. Just thought it was funny the way the OP phrased his question.post #14 of 208/7/10 at 7:33pm
I have a $400 Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Some headphones it handles better than others. I'm not sure why. Some of my experiences with it have been counterintuitive. I wasn't impressed with how it handled my Grados but it handled the 600 ohm T1s just fine. Go figure.post #15 of 208/7/10 at 7:49pmThread Starter
What are a few examples as to how I would know my receiver wouldnt be handling them correctly? One poster mentioned something about distortion. I am assuming I would hear that at higher volumes?
- Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 40 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 4 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 4 minutes ago
- › Is 192 kHz better or worse sounding than 96 kHz? Benchmark Media... 7 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 10 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 10 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...