I was thinking about picking up either the Sennheiser 600 or 650. I realize these models would be hungry for power. Would my 100 watt receiver be enough to propely drive these without the need to buy another amp? Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- [Suggestions] Looking for new open-back headphones... Last post on 10/2/11 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 | What Amp to invest in, currently have a Xonar Essence STX Last post on 8/27/11 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 Help and Info Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?post #1 of 208/6/10 at 9:58pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 208/6/10 at 10:01pmpost #3 of 208/7/10 at 12:13amYes, most receivers drive headphones just fine. If you're shopping for a receiver, take your headphones along and give each a listen. If you don't hear any distortion or other problems, the receiver should work fine.post #4 of 208/7/10 at 12:16amQuote:
I wouldn't vouch on getting the most out of the HD650's with a receivers headphone jack.
I didn't like the receiver out for my Grado's,the HD650 would be even harder.post #5 of 208/7/10 at 12:19ampost #6 of 208/7/10 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 208/7/10 at 1:51pm
What? Only if you drive them from the speaker taps with a signal that used all 100 watts.... not likely. That is why they put headphone jacks on recievers...post #8 of 208/7/10 at 1:57pmpost #9 of 208/7/10 at 2:18pm
But I think he means drive them properly, which in that case I'm afraid to say a lot of the modern mass produced receivers don't do too good a job. Marantz ones do a decent job, but a lot of other's have a very underpowered headphone circuit.
I'm not to knowledgeable in the this area, but I would say look into a Marantz made one.
You could driver them from the speaker output like I have done in the past, but you have to really watch the volume dial.post #10 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pm
You never know until you try it. My Panny digital reciever headphone out is just awful! Noisy as hell, really harsh sounding. My squeezebox headphone out is almost as bad. Sound quality out of my Fuze or Zune is much much better, but ofcourse they don't go loud enough. Then dedicated headphone amps are at another level all together.
So, don't expect to get any great sound sound from a reciever today. People do have good luck with vintage recievers though.post #11 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pmA receiver won't fry headphones. Usually, the headphone jack is fed by the main amp with resistors to drop the power. Granted, most receivers run in class AB and aren't ideal amps, but they're much better at delivering power than a portable amp.post #12 of 208/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #13 of 208/7/10 at 7:18pm
Sarcasm mate, sarcasm. I know the headphone output on receivers is (usually) stepped down or a separate circuit. Just thought it was funny the way the OP phrased his question.post #14 of 208/7/10 at 7:33pm
I have a $400 Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Some headphones it handles better than others. I'm not sure why. Some of my experiences with it have been counterintuitive. I wasn't impressed with how it handled my Grados but it handled the 600 ohm T1s just fine. Go figure.post #15 of 208/7/10 at 7:49pmThread Starter
What are a few examples as to how I would know my receiver wouldnt be handling them correctly? One poster mentioned something about distortion. I am assuming I would hear that at higher volumes?
- Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 1 minute ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added... 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod 4 minutes ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic AT1350 - An Improved DT1350? 8 minutes ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 8 minutes ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 9 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 9 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 10 minutes ago
- › How's the Fidelio/CitiScape range? 11 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob