I was thinking about picking up either the Sennheiser 600 or 650. I realize these models would be hungry for power. Would my 100 watt receiver be enough to propely drive these without the need to buy another amp? Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- [Suggestions] Looking for new open-back headphones... Last post on 10/2/11 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 | What Amp to invest in, currently have a Xonar Essence STX Last post on 8/27/11 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 Help and Info Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
IntroductionWhen I first reviewed Schiit Audio's original Modi/Vali stack many moons ago, I walked away very impressed to say the least. Not only was it a cost effective solution for the budding...
1. Introduction The Prophile-8, a 8 balanced armature in-ear monitor, is the new flagship from well-established German brand In-ear. So far the brand had an offering going from 2 to 4 driver...
Video Review It's not unusual to find a headphone or IEM manufacturer to branch out into making their own amps, and then their own cables, but Ken Ball is one of two people who have gone in...
Warm, good sounding player with no harshness. Spacious and natural sound. Easy to listen for long time without any fatigue. Fiio x5 II sounds more neutral and analytical with harshness on upper...
Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?post #1 of 208/6/10 at 9:58pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 208/6/10 at 10:01pmpost #3 of 208/7/10 at 12:13amYes, most receivers drive headphones just fine. If you're shopping for a receiver, take your headphones along and give each a listen. If you don't hear any distortion or other problems, the receiver should work fine.post #4 of 208/7/10 at 12:16amQuote:
I wouldn't vouch on getting the most out of the HD650's with a receivers headphone jack.
I didn't like the receiver out for my Grado's,the HD650 would be even harder.post #5 of 208/7/10 at 12:19ampost #6 of 208/7/10 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 208/7/10 at 1:51pm
What? Only if you drive them from the speaker taps with a signal that used all 100 watts.... not likely. That is why they put headphone jacks on recievers...post #8 of 208/7/10 at 1:57pmpost #9 of 208/7/10 at 2:18pm
But I think he means drive them properly, which in that case I'm afraid to say a lot of the modern mass produced receivers don't do too good a job. Marantz ones do a decent job, but a lot of other's have a very underpowered headphone circuit.
I'm not to knowledgeable in the this area, but I would say look into a Marantz made one.
You could driver them from the speaker output like I have done in the past, but you have to really watch the volume dial.post #10 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pm
You never know until you try it. My Panny digital reciever headphone out is just awful! Noisy as hell, really harsh sounding. My squeezebox headphone out is almost as bad. Sound quality out of my Fuze or Zune is much much better, but ofcourse they don't go loud enough. Then dedicated headphone amps are at another level all together.
So, don't expect to get any great sound sound from a reciever today. People do have good luck with vintage recievers though.post #11 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pmA receiver won't fry headphones. Usually, the headphone jack is fed by the main amp with resistors to drop the power. Granted, most receivers run in class AB and aren't ideal amps, but they're much better at delivering power than a portable amp.post #12 of 208/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #13 of 208/7/10 at 7:18pm
Sarcasm mate, sarcasm. I know the headphone output on receivers is (usually) stepped down or a separate circuit. Just thought it was funny the way the OP phrased his question.post #14 of 208/7/10 at 7:33pm
I have a $400 Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Some headphones it handles better than others. I'm not sure why. Some of my experiences with it have been counterintuitive. I wasn't impressed with how it handled my Grados but it handled the 600 ohm T1s just fine. Go figure.post #15 of 208/7/10 at 7:49pmThread Starter
What are a few examples as to how I would know my receiver wouldnt be handling them correctly? One poster mentioned something about distortion. I am assuming I would hear that at higher volumes?
- Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Best earbuds to get 35 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 40 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Prog rock 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 7 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 8 minutes ago
- › Accutone Pisces BA Hybrid IEM by crabdog
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by subguy812
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Fostex TH 900 by Scott Branham
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear