I was thinking about picking up either the Sennheiser 600 or 650. I realize these models would be hungry for power. Would my 100 watt receiver be enough to propely drive these without the need to buy another amp? Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- [Suggestions] Looking for new open-back headphones... Last post on 10/2/11 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 | What Amp to invest in, currently have a Xonar Essence STX Last post on 8/27/11 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 Help and Info Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Design/durability: The earpiece seems very durable, although there are some light finish issues. The braided cable is one of the best in the industry: there are barely any microphonics, it feels...
Photo courtesy of Cozoy INTRODUCTION I recently tested out a couple battery-powered DAC/Amp (Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3) solutions and the battery-free Calyx PaT DAC/Amp with the goal of...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Inearz/Fisher Hearing for providing me with a review sample of their IE-P650 CIEM in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus Review Hello, my name is Oscar and this is my review of the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus. Creative sent these to me as part of a tour and I did not pay for...
Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?post #1 of 208/6/10 at 9:58pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 208/6/10 at 10:01pmpost #3 of 208/7/10 at 12:13amYes, most receivers drive headphones just fine. If you're shopping for a receiver, take your headphones along and give each a listen. If you don't hear any distortion or other problems, the receiver should work fine.post #4 of 208/7/10 at 12:16amQuote:
I wouldn't vouch on getting the most out of the HD650's with a receivers headphone jack.
I didn't like the receiver out for my Grado's,the HD650 would be even harder.post #5 of 208/7/10 at 12:19ampost #6 of 208/7/10 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 208/7/10 at 1:51pm
What? Only if you drive them from the speaker taps with a signal that used all 100 watts.... not likely. That is why they put headphone jacks on recievers...post #8 of 208/7/10 at 1:57pmpost #9 of 208/7/10 at 2:18pm
But I think he means drive them properly, which in that case I'm afraid to say a lot of the modern mass produced receivers don't do too good a job. Marantz ones do a decent job, but a lot of other's have a very underpowered headphone circuit.
I'm not to knowledgeable in the this area, but I would say look into a Marantz made one.
You could driver them from the speaker output like I have done in the past, but you have to really watch the volume dial.post #10 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pm
You never know until you try it. My Panny digital reciever headphone out is just awful! Noisy as hell, really harsh sounding. My squeezebox headphone out is almost as bad. Sound quality out of my Fuze or Zune is much much better, but ofcourse they don't go loud enough. Then dedicated headphone amps are at another level all together.
So, don't expect to get any great sound sound from a reciever today. People do have good luck with vintage recievers though.post #11 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pmA receiver won't fry headphones. Usually, the headphone jack is fed by the main amp with resistors to drop the power. Granted, most receivers run in class AB and aren't ideal amps, but they're much better at delivering power than a portable amp.post #12 of 208/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #13 of 208/7/10 at 7:18pm
Sarcasm mate, sarcasm. I know the headphone output on receivers is (usually) stepped down or a separate circuit. Just thought it was funny the way the OP phrased his question.post #14 of 208/7/10 at 7:33pm
I have a $400 Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Some headphones it handles better than others. I'm not sure why. Some of my experiences with it have been counterintuitive. I wasn't impressed with how it handled my Grados but it handled the 600 ohm T1s just fine. Go figure.post #15 of 208/7/10 at 7:49pmThread Starter
What are a few examples as to how I would know my receiver wouldnt be handling them correctly? One poster mentioned something about distortion. I am assuming I would hear that at higher volumes?
- Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Astell&Kern AK380 14 seconds ago
- › KingSound M-20 Electrostatic Tube Amplifier 31 seconds ago
- › Ninjas are cool 31 seconds ago
- › Looking for a DAC to use with my Asus Xonar DG 50 seconds ago
- › What do you do when listening to music? 51 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 2 minutes ago
- › Only three headphones for the rest of your life!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 3 minutes ago
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by nmatheis
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2