I was thinking about picking up either the Sennheiser 600 or 650. I realize these models would be hungry for power. Would my 100 watt receiver be enough to propely drive these without the need to buy another amp? Thanks in advance.
Related Forum Threads
- [Suggestions] Looking for new open-back headphones... Last post on 10/2/11 at 9:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 | What Amp to invest in, currently have a Xonar Essence STX Last post on 8/27/11 at 9:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 Help and Info Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Disclaimer: I received this earphone for free from the manufacturers. I did my best not to let that color my opinion on the product, but my impressions may not be entirely without bias. Shozy...
Introduction: The Effect Audio is a Singapore brand that is known by some famous aftermarket cables. They offer Ares and Thor series headphone/IEM cables as well as Piccolino Ultimate and Eros...
Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?post #1 of 208/6/10 at 9:58pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 208/6/10 at 10:01pmpost #3 of 208/7/10 at 12:13amYes, most receivers drive headphones just fine. If you're shopping for a receiver, take your headphones along and give each a listen. If you don't hear any distortion or other problems, the receiver should work fine.post #4 of 208/7/10 at 12:16amQuote:
I wouldn't vouch on getting the most out of the HD650's with a receivers headphone jack.
I didn't like the receiver out for my Grado's,the HD650 would be even harder.post #5 of 208/7/10 at 12:19ampost #6 of 208/7/10 at 10:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 208/7/10 at 1:51pm
What? Only if you drive them from the speaker taps with a signal that used all 100 watts.... not likely. That is why they put headphone jacks on recievers...post #8 of 208/7/10 at 1:57pmpost #9 of 208/7/10 at 2:18pm
But I think he means drive them properly, which in that case I'm afraid to say a lot of the modern mass produced receivers don't do too good a job. Marantz ones do a decent job, but a lot of other's have a very underpowered headphone circuit.
I'm not to knowledgeable in the this area, but I would say look into a Marantz made one.
You could driver them from the speaker output like I have done in the past, but you have to really watch the volume dial.post #10 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pm
You never know until you try it. My Panny digital reciever headphone out is just awful! Noisy as hell, really harsh sounding. My squeezebox headphone out is almost as bad. Sound quality out of my Fuze or Zune is much much better, but ofcourse they don't go loud enough. Then dedicated headphone amps are at another level all together.
So, don't expect to get any great sound sound from a reciever today. People do have good luck with vintage recievers though.post #11 of 208/7/10 at 2:27pmA receiver won't fry headphones. Usually, the headphone jack is fed by the main amp with resistors to drop the power. Granted, most receivers run in class AB and aren't ideal amps, but they're much better at delivering power than a portable amp.post #12 of 208/7/10 at 2:32pmpost #13 of 208/7/10 at 7:18pm
Sarcasm mate, sarcasm. I know the headphone output on receivers is (usually) stepped down or a separate circuit. Just thought it was funny the way the OP phrased his question.post #14 of 208/7/10 at 7:33pm
I have a $400 Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Some headphones it handles better than others. I'm not sure why. Some of my experiences with it have been counterintuitive. I wasn't impressed with how it handled my Grados but it handled the 600 ohm T1s just fine. Go figure.post #15 of 208/7/10 at 7:49pmThread Starter
What are a few examples as to how I would know my receiver wouldnt be handling them correctly? One poster mentioned something about distortion. I am assuming I would hear that at higher volumes?
- Would a mid-range 100 watt a/v receiver be enoguh to drive a Sennheiser 600 or 650?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 12 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 2 minutes ago
- › FS: hd650 4-pin balanced XLR cable, dhc cable and furutech connector 5 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 7 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 8 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 9 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 10 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 12 minutes ago
- › Sound Signature JVC HP-DX1000! TH610, TH900, TH-X00, Denon AH-Dx000? 14 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 15 minutes ago
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by getclikinagas
- › Yulong U100 by Spork67
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...