Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm? - Page 6

post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

I have DT880/600 and an M Stage.  The M has no problem driving them.  The 600 ohm versions need a fair amount of voltage, the M has no problem delivering enough voltage.

Good luck!

smile.gif

 


 

 

 


Thanks for the info. biggrin.gif I actually ordered a "like new" open box pair from Amazon a few hours ago. Just over $200. Can't wait!

 

post #77 of 91

Vote for M-Stage with DT990, a price/performance choice. Currently paring M-Stage with DT880, significantly improve DT880 ability.

 

post #78 of 91

Anyone know where they demo amps like WA3 or MK III/IV?  I just received my DT 990/600s and am enjoying it with the Fiio E17 but clearly am not experiencing its full potential.  Would like to hear a demo somewhere if I can.

post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumraresteak View Post

I just received my DT 990/600s and am enjoying it with the Fiio E17 but clearly am not experiencing its full potential. 


Consider a Schiit Valhalla.. It is a smooth and power efficient amplifier that should suffice your needs.

 

Destroysall

post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post


Consider a Schiit Valhalla.. It is a smooth and power efficient amplifier that should suffice your needs.

 

Destroysall

Thanks for the notice.  Anyone know if the DT990/600s benefit more from a tube amp as opposed to a solid state?  I'm about to snatch a used m-stage versus waiting on the MK III / IV or something to drop in value.

 

Thanks.

post #81 of 91

It totally depends on the amp.  I've run my DT990/600s out of several different amps, including the WA3 (OTL tube), Schiit Valhalla (OTL tube), HiFiMan EF-5 (tube hybrid), Trafomatic Head One (tube, output transformer), Schiit Asgard (solid state), and FiiO E11.  Of those, the most expensive amp (Trafomatic), was not the best.  The best was a tie between the Schiits.  The WA3 was in the second tier.  I'd say the WA3 was about on the same level as the HiFiMan, which were both a notch below the Schiits, which had completely different topologies between them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumraresteak View Post

Thanks for the notice.  Anyone know if the DT990/600s benefit more from a tube amp as opposed to a solid state?  I'm about to snatch a used m-stage versus waiting on the MK III / IV or something to drop in value.

 

Thanks.

post #82 of 91

I had never liked the dt990's (I have the 250ohms), wooly heavy bass that just smothers the mids.

 

But I recently picked up a BH Crack with Speedball. This sounded better, acceptable at least. I then started rolling signal tubes on this. Started with a Telefunken 12au7, which was pretty clear but still had too much bass intrusion. Then a GE 12BH7A, which was wonderfully liquid with the T1's but just too slow with the 900's.

 

Since I have a large stock of 6sn7 I picked up a 12au7 to 6sn7 adapter on ebay. I arrived here yesterday and I have been rolling tubes since then, about 12 hours worth.

 

I will the 6sn7's really make these cans open up. I have been listening to them every moment I can. When I say this, keep in mind I had given these away to my daughter to use on her Kindle.

 

Yes, they are still bassy. But the bass now has its proper place, it doesn't feel like it is blanketing the mids which, although still a pushed little back, now come across un-muffled.

 

Additionally, the grit and grain that these cans had on the V200 is gone. They are silky smooth. I dusted off some pop/rock recording, and they are just superb with stuff like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

 

Oh, the tubes.. GE and RCA cleartops where the most balance sounding, next Tung Sol long plates.

 

I am now looking to get the 600ohm version of these guys.

 

Next step will be to roll some power tubes, right now running RCA 6sg7.

 

KP


Edited by TheKillerPiglet - 2/16/13 at 6:10pm
post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

It totally depends on the amp.  I've run my DT990/600s out of several different amps, including the WA3 (OTL tube), Schiit Valhalla (OTL tube), HiFiMan EF-5 (tube hybrid), Trafomatic Head One (tube, output transformer), Schiit Asgard (solid state), and FiiO E11.  Of those, the most expensive amp (Trafomatic), was not the best.  The best was a tie between the Schiits.  The WA3 was in the second tier.  I'd say the WA3 was about on the same level as the HiFiMan, which were both a notch below the Schiits, which had completely different topologies between them.

 


hodgjy, I'm sure I've asked this before (if not, someone has), but what were the differences between the Schiit amps?

post #84 of 91

The Valhalla and the Asgard had more in common than they had different.  The Valhalla had a little more top end sparkle and more bass crunch than the Asgard, but overall, they had similar flavors.  My Valhalla had a channel imbalance that couldn't be fixed with tubes, so I sent it back.  It sounded too close to the Asgard to warrant keeping both.  Plus, the Asgard actually had the wider soundstage.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post


hodgjy, I'm sure I've asked this before (if not, someone has), but what were the differences between the Schiit amps?

post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by melomaniac View Post



from my own experience I can second the WA3+

 

If I purchased a WA3 for my (current) Beyer 990/600 cans would that also drive a set of Audeze LCD3's sufficiently for the near-future acquisition?
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wberghofer View Post

 

 

I don’t know if tighten is the right word, and I think it’s difficult for me to describe sound, much more in a language which is not my native language. Let’s try it:

 

The treble is detailled and sparkling, midrange and vocals sound alive and very present, bass is muscular and beefy. There’s enough reserve power available for short, loud and dynamic peaks without distorsion or clipping. Detail resolution and separation of instruments and voices is very fine and alive, not as analytical and clean and maybe sterile if I compare this to my AKG K701.

 

Since I switched from the AKG K701 to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 I noticed a lot more goose bumps, foot tapping and pure joy.

 

Werner.

 

I think you did a pretty darned good job descrigbing the audio image! I am still leaning towards the Schiit Lyr to replace the Headroom Micro amp as I just feel it is a little underpowered for these cans. I KNOW that amp has way more than enough power to drive anything I would likely get (lusting after Audeze LCD3) so it is good to see a recommendation for the Schiit product. Second would be the WA3 or 5 though.
post #87 of 91

No.  While it may technically work by making sound through the LCD-3, it is far from an ideal pairing.  OTL amps supply lots of voltage that high impedance headphones crave.  Low impedance headphones crave current, and OTL amps do not supply as much current as other amp designs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post

 

If I purchased a WA3 for my (current) Beyer 990/600 cans would that also drive a set of Audeze LCD3's sufficiently for the near-future acquisition?
post #88 of 91

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of DT 990 - 600 Ohm cans and I live in Canada. No stores within 200miles of my house have any for sale at all, Toronto is to far of a drive, that would be like a four hour drive from where I am currently at. 

 

Does anyone know of a good site besides Amazon.com that I mite be able to pick up a pair at? 

 

The only reason I'd like to avoid Amazon.com or .Ca is because they both want around 480$ Canadian for the headphones, "With tax,  shipping and duty fees'' I really want a set of 990's but not enough to pay just under 500$ for them. 

 

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. 

post #89 of 91

I'm currently using an Essence STX to drive my DT990 Premium 600-Ohms.

How much would I need to spend on a tube amp. to show a noticeable improvement in audio quality for the DT990 600-Ohm cans?

post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I'm currently using an Essence STX to drive my DT990 Premium 600-Ohms.

How much would I need to spend on a tube amp. to show a noticeable improvement in audio quality for the DT990 600-Ohm cans?

I'm in the same boat.

I know the STX can drive the headphones fine,but I'm pretty sure there's some untapped potential left.

Any advice?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm?