What are your thoughts on both of these and which do you think is the best for genres overall
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 8/4/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandAudio Technica HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/4/10
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need a little help picking out a good set of cans ~100 Last post on 8/8/10 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed cans: ATH-M50, ES7, or Senn HD25? Last post on 8/5/10 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some guidance on what sort of headphones to purchase Last post on 3/26/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones Last post on 9/8/10 at 8:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How different do the ath-m50s sound to the senn hd485s? Last post on 12/15/10 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 258/3/10 at 2:23pmpost #3 of 258/3/10 at 3:01pm
These are my two primary headphones, and really they are very different. I'd say the M50 is a little more versatile overall, and if I had to live with just one of these two as my only phones I'd pick those. Part of that decision would be based on them being closed so they can be used in slightly noisy environments.
Having said that, if the house is quiet and I'm going to listen to some jazz or maybe some ambient music, I'll grab the 595s every time.post #4 of 258/3/10 at 3:10pmThread Starterpost #5 of 258/3/10 at 3:11pmpost #6 of 258/3/10 at 3:16pm
I think it's hard to say, since M50s are closed-back, while the HD595 are open-air. eric0531 pegged it with his last comment, "...if the house is quiet...", in my opinion. It's hard to use open-air when the surrounding area is loud without getting outside interference. My preferences, when it comes to music, are that open-air headphones generally beat closed-back headphones in the same price-range when it comes to accuracy and neutralness.
The only exception when the M50s excel against the HD595, in my opinion, is perhaps electronic music or rap and hip-hop with exaggerated beats. Even then, some people prefer a cleaner, more accurate bass than heavy, boomy bass. I personally like the bass coming from M50 and similar closed-back headphones when it comes to those two genre, but that's just me.
Edited by hscai - 8/3/10 at 3:17pmpost #7 of 258/3/10 at 3:17pm
while the hd595 never did anything wrong per se, i never found anything i really liked about it.
it was... um.... boring.
that's something you can't say about the M50. not boring.post #8 of 258/3/10 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 258/3/10 at 3:19pmThread Starterpost #10 of 258/3/10 at 5:32pmThread Starterpost #11 of 258/3/10 at 5:58pm
man...half hour too late! Not a big 595 fan at all...find them to be very harsh in the upper ranges, not particularly musical for lack of a better word. They were my first set of high end cans though. Out of sheer curiosity, why did you limit yourself to just those two?post #12 of 258/3/10 at 6:20pmThread Starterpost #13 of 258/3/10 at 7:06pm
I love the AD700s for mid-fi open shells (wearing a set right now actually :D). What is your price ceiling btw? There are several other options in there, like the FA-003s, or the Shure SRH840s. I just never liked the 595 phones, found them to be really boring for lack of a better word. The m50s are very nice, not as detailed, but good lf extension and punch. It will help if you tell us what genres you like, what your price ceiling is, your source material on average (like mp3s or FLAC, etc) and amped vs unamped (guessing the latter).post #14 of 258/3/10 at 7:09pm
don't sweat it if you ordered the hd595s.
we all have different ears and different tastes.
and, honestly, the only way to tell if you're going to like a pair of cans is to hear them.
- HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 33 seconds ago
- › London Head-Fi Meet Up - Summer 2014 41 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 53 seconds ago
- › FiiO X3 or Other Options? 1 minute ago
- › Westone ES5s 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 2 minutes ago
- › XLR vs SE headphone cable 3 minutes ago
- › Effects of power cords 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Old School Roll Call......... 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude