What are your thoughts on both of these and which do you think is the best for genres overall
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 8/4/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandAudio Technica HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/4/10
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need a little help picking out a good set of cans ~100 Last post on 8/8/10 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed cans: ATH-M50, ES7, or Senn HD25? Last post on 8/5/10 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some guidance on what sort of headphones to purchase Last post on 3/26/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones Last post on 9/8/10 at 8:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How different do the ath-m50s sound to the senn hd485s? Last post on 12/15/10 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 258/3/10 at 2:23pmpost #3 of 258/3/10 at 3:01pm
These are my two primary headphones, and really they are very different. I'd say the M50 is a little more versatile overall, and if I had to live with just one of these two as my only phones I'd pick those. Part of that decision would be based on them being closed so they can be used in slightly noisy environments.
Having said that, if the house is quiet and I'm going to listen to some jazz or maybe some ambient music, I'll grab the 595s every time.post #4 of 258/3/10 at 3:10pmThread Starterpost #5 of 258/3/10 at 3:11pmpost #6 of 258/3/10 at 3:16pm
I think it's hard to say, since M50s are closed-back, while the HD595 are open-air. eric0531 pegged it with his last comment, "...if the house is quiet...", in my opinion. It's hard to use open-air when the surrounding area is loud without getting outside interference. My preferences, when it comes to music, are that open-air headphones generally beat closed-back headphones in the same price-range when it comes to accuracy and neutralness.
The only exception when the M50s excel against the HD595, in my opinion, is perhaps electronic music or rap and hip-hop with exaggerated beats. Even then, some people prefer a cleaner, more accurate bass than heavy, boomy bass. I personally like the bass coming from M50 and similar closed-back headphones when it comes to those two genre, but that's just me.
Edited by hscai - 8/3/10 at 3:17pmpost #7 of 258/3/10 at 3:17pm
while the hd595 never did anything wrong per se, i never found anything i really liked about it.
it was... um.... boring.
that's something you can't say about the M50. not boring.post #8 of 258/3/10 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 258/3/10 at 3:19pmThread Starterpost #10 of 258/3/10 at 5:32pmThread Starterpost #11 of 258/3/10 at 5:58pm
man...half hour too late! Not a big 595 fan at all...find them to be very harsh in the upper ranges, not particularly musical for lack of a better word. They were my first set of high end cans though. Out of sheer curiosity, why did you limit yourself to just those two?post #12 of 258/3/10 at 6:20pmThread Starterpost #13 of 258/3/10 at 7:06pm
I love the AD700s for mid-fi open shells (wearing a set right now actually :D). What is your price ceiling btw? There are several other options in there, like the FA-003s, or the Shure SRH840s. I just never liked the 595 phones, found them to be really boring for lack of a better word. The m50s are very nice, not as detailed, but good lf extension and punch. It will help if you tell us what genres you like, what your price ceiling is, your source material on average (like mp3s or FLAC, etc) and amped vs unamped (guessing the latter).post #14 of 258/3/10 at 7:09pm
don't sweat it if you ordered the hd595s.
we all have different ears and different tastes.
and, honestly, the only way to tell if you're going to like a pair of cans is to hear them.
- HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 seconds ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 10 seconds ago
- › Simple amp/record player questions. 37 seconds ago
- › How to clean Headphones Velours 1 minute ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › No love for magnums? 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 2 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)