What are your thoughts on both of these and which do you think is the best for genres overall
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 8/4/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandAudio Technica HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/4/10
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need a little help picking out a good set of cans ~100 Last post on 8/8/10 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed cans: ATH-M50, ES7, or Senn HD25? Last post on 8/5/10 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some guidance on what sort of headphones to purchase Last post on 3/26/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones Last post on 9/8/10 at 8:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How different do the ath-m50s sound to the senn hd485s? Last post on 12/15/10 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 258/3/10 at 2:23pmpost #3 of 258/3/10 at 3:01pm
These are my two primary headphones, and really they are very different. I'd say the M50 is a little more versatile overall, and if I had to live with just one of these two as my only phones I'd pick those. Part of that decision would be based on them being closed so they can be used in slightly noisy environments.
Having said that, if the house is quiet and I'm going to listen to some jazz or maybe some ambient music, I'll grab the 595s every time.post #4 of 258/3/10 at 3:10pmThread Starterpost #5 of 258/3/10 at 3:11pmpost #6 of 258/3/10 at 3:16pm
I think it's hard to say, since M50s are closed-back, while the HD595 are open-air. eric0531 pegged it with his last comment, "...if the house is quiet...", in my opinion. It's hard to use open-air when the surrounding area is loud without getting outside interference. My preferences, when it comes to music, are that open-air headphones generally beat closed-back headphones in the same price-range when it comes to accuracy and neutralness.
The only exception when the M50s excel against the HD595, in my opinion, is perhaps electronic music or rap and hip-hop with exaggerated beats. Even then, some people prefer a cleaner, more accurate bass than heavy, boomy bass. I personally like the bass coming from M50 and similar closed-back headphones when it comes to those two genre, but that's just me.
Edited by hscai - 8/3/10 at 3:17pmpost #7 of 258/3/10 at 3:17pm
while the hd595 never did anything wrong per se, i never found anything i really liked about it.
it was... um.... boring.
that's something you can't say about the M50. not boring.post #8 of 258/3/10 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 258/3/10 at 3:19pmThread Starterpost #10 of 258/3/10 at 5:32pmThread Starterpost #11 of 258/3/10 at 5:58pm
man...half hour too late! Not a big 595 fan at all...find them to be very harsh in the upper ranges, not particularly musical for lack of a better word. They were my first set of high end cans though. Out of sheer curiosity, why did you limit yourself to just those two?post #12 of 258/3/10 at 6:20pmThread Starterpost #13 of 258/3/10 at 7:06pm
I love the AD700s for mid-fi open shells (wearing a set right now actually :D). What is your price ceiling btw? There are several other options in there, like the FA-003s, or the Shure SRH840s. I just never liked the 595 phones, found them to be really boring for lack of a better word. The m50s are very nice, not as detailed, but good lf extension and punch. It will help if you tell us what genres you like, what your price ceiling is, your source material on average (like mp3s or FLAC, etc) and amped vs unamped (guessing the latter).post #14 of 258/3/10 at 7:09pm
don't sweat it if you ordered the hd595s.
we all have different ears and different tastes.
and, honestly, the only way to tell if you're going to like a pair of cans is to hear them.
- HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! 36 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page FW download & general... 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones Sale 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › Fidelio L2 - 3 weeks old - price includes shipping - final price drop 3 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 9 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 10 minutes ago
- › Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphone with Balanced Armature Driver... by umhhmm
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)