What are your thoughts on both of these and which do you think is the best for genres overall
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 8/4/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandAudio Technica HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/4/10
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need a little help picking out a good set of cans ~100 Last post on 8/8/10 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed cans: ATH-M50, ES7, or Senn HD25? Last post on 8/5/10 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some guidance on what sort of headphones to purchase Last post on 3/26/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones Last post on 9/8/10 at 8:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How different do the ath-m50s sound to the senn hd485s? Last post on 12/15/10 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 258/3/10 at 2:23pmpost #3 of 258/3/10 at 3:01pm
These are my two primary headphones, and really they are very different. I'd say the M50 is a little more versatile overall, and if I had to live with just one of these two as my only phones I'd pick those. Part of that decision would be based on them being closed so they can be used in slightly noisy environments.
Having said that, if the house is quiet and I'm going to listen to some jazz or maybe some ambient music, I'll grab the 595s every time.post #4 of 258/3/10 at 3:10pmThread Starterpost #5 of 258/3/10 at 3:11pmpost #6 of 258/3/10 at 3:16pm
I think it's hard to say, since M50s are closed-back, while the HD595 are open-air. eric0531 pegged it with his last comment, "...if the house is quiet...", in my opinion. It's hard to use open-air when the surrounding area is loud without getting outside interference. My preferences, when it comes to music, are that open-air headphones generally beat closed-back headphones in the same price-range when it comes to accuracy and neutralness.
The only exception when the M50s excel against the HD595, in my opinion, is perhaps electronic music or rap and hip-hop with exaggerated beats. Even then, some people prefer a cleaner, more accurate bass than heavy, boomy bass. I personally like the bass coming from M50 and similar closed-back headphones when it comes to those two genre, but that's just me.
Edited by hscai - 8/3/10 at 3:17pmpost #7 of 258/3/10 at 3:17pm
while the hd595 never did anything wrong per se, i never found anything i really liked about it.
it was... um.... boring.
that's something you can't say about the M50. not boring.post #8 of 258/3/10 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 258/3/10 at 3:19pmThread Starterpost #10 of 258/3/10 at 5:32pmThread Starterpost #11 of 258/3/10 at 5:58pm
man...half hour too late! Not a big 595 fan at all...find them to be very harsh in the upper ranges, not particularly musical for lack of a better word. They were my first set of high end cans though. Out of sheer curiosity, why did you limit yourself to just those two?post #12 of 258/3/10 at 6:20pmThread Starterpost #13 of 258/3/10 at 7:06pm
I love the AD700s for mid-fi open shells (wearing a set right now actually :D). What is your price ceiling btw? There are several other options in there, like the FA-003s, or the Shure SRH840s. I just never liked the 595 phones, found them to be really boring for lack of a better word. The m50s are very nice, not as detailed, but good lf extension and punch. It will help if you tell us what genres you like, what your price ceiling is, your source material on average (like mp3s or FLAC, etc) and amped vs unamped (guessing the latter).post #14 of 258/3/10 at 7:09pm
don't sweat it if you ordered the hd595s.
we all have different ears and different tastes.
and, honestly, the only way to tell if you're going to like a pair of cans is to hear them.
- HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 Impressions! PICS! EVERYTHING! 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › How to "imod" a Iriver H320/H340 ? 3 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 3 minutes ago
- › Tools for Analyzing the Quality of Mastering 3 minutes ago
- › EPH100-SL / JVC FXD80 / BRAINWAVZ M2 - Recommendations appreciated 4 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)