What are your thoughts on both of these and which do you think is the best for genres overall
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 8/4/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandAudio Technica HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/4/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/4/10
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 8/4/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need a little help picking out a good set of cans ~100 Last post on 8/8/10 at 11:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed cans: ATH-M50, ES7, or Senn HD25? Last post on 8/5/10 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some guidance on what sort of headphones to purchase Last post on 3/26/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones Last post on 9/8/10 at 8:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How different do the ath-m50s sound to the senn hd485s? Last post on 12/15/10 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 258/3/10 at 2:23pmpost #3 of 258/3/10 at 3:01pm
These are my two primary headphones, and really they are very different. I'd say the M50 is a little more versatile overall, and if I had to live with just one of these two as my only phones I'd pick those. Part of that decision would be based on them being closed so they can be used in slightly noisy environments.
Having said that, if the house is quiet and I'm going to listen to some jazz or maybe some ambient music, I'll grab the 595s every time.post #4 of 258/3/10 at 3:10pmThread Starterpost #5 of 258/3/10 at 3:11pmpost #6 of 258/3/10 at 3:16pm
I think it's hard to say, since M50s are closed-back, while the HD595 are open-air. eric0531 pegged it with his last comment, "...if the house is quiet...", in my opinion. It's hard to use open-air when the surrounding area is loud without getting outside interference. My preferences, when it comes to music, are that open-air headphones generally beat closed-back headphones in the same price-range when it comes to accuracy and neutralness.
The only exception when the M50s excel against the HD595, in my opinion, is perhaps electronic music or rap and hip-hop with exaggerated beats. Even then, some people prefer a cleaner, more accurate bass than heavy, boomy bass. I personally like the bass coming from M50 and similar closed-back headphones when it comes to those two genre, but that's just me.
Edited by hscai - 8/3/10 at 3:17pmpost #7 of 258/3/10 at 3:17pm
while the hd595 never did anything wrong per se, i never found anything i really liked about it.
it was... um.... boring.
that's something you can't say about the M50. not boring.post #8 of 258/3/10 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #9 of 258/3/10 at 3:19pmThread Starterpost #10 of 258/3/10 at 5:32pmThread Starterpost #11 of 258/3/10 at 5:58pm
man...half hour too late! Not a big 595 fan at all...find them to be very harsh in the upper ranges, not particularly musical for lack of a better word. They were my first set of high end cans though. Out of sheer curiosity, why did you limit yourself to just those two?post #12 of 258/3/10 at 6:20pmThread Starterpost #13 of 258/3/10 at 7:06pm
I love the AD700s for mid-fi open shells (wearing a set right now actually :D). What is your price ceiling btw? There are several other options in there, like the FA-003s, or the Shure SRH840s. I just never liked the 595 phones, found them to be really boring for lack of a better word. The m50s are very nice, not as detailed, but good lf extension and punch. It will help if you tell us what genres you like, what your price ceiling is, your source material on average (like mp3s or FLAC, etc) and amped vs unamped (guessing the latter).post #14 of 258/3/10 at 7:09pm
don't sweat it if you ordered the hd595s.
we all have different ears and different tastes.
and, honestly, the only way to tell if you're going to like a pair of cans is to hear them.
- HD595's vs ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser HD558 - Price Drop - 24 seconds ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 28 seconds ago
- › Replacement Pads for Audio Technica ATH-M50S Questions 53 seconds ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Review 58 seconds ago
- › The ATH-AD900 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)