I am in the market for some open cans. I have no issue buying used gear, and would like to spend around $250-300 max. Although I haven't built it yet, I have all the parts for the millett starving student hybrid amp, its only a matter of me taking time to get it done. So amping shouldn't be an issue. I currently use Grado SR-80, and while I do like them a lot, i am just looking for something different. I listen to a lot of classic rock/prog, jazz fusion, and electronic music.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Recommendation (Rock,Metal, <$300) Last post on 9/12/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice in audiophile headphone choosing Last post on 3/20/11 at 5:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open phones under $100 to complement my closed Ultrasones? Last post on 9/4/11 at 8:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 3/8/15 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
Looking for open cans, new or used around $250post #1 of 48/3/10 at 10:52amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/4/10 at 11:56amThread Starterpost #3 of 48/4/10 at 12:42pm
I like the mix and match of sounds between my SR80s and the AKG K702. I have a similar taste in music to you and like the choice of dynamics vs detail. Prog and jazz suit both cans IMO.post #4 of 48/4/10 at 2:08pm
AKG 242 HD might be a good choice for you. its retailing for around $280 now. Ashame, because it was going for less then $240 only a few short days ago. Still, its within your budget. Good luck with your search.
- Looking for open cans, new or used around $250
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › REVIEW: RHA MA750 - Flawless Victory! 20 seconds ago
- › Soundsoul S-018 Impressions Thread 21 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 37 seconds ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 5 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 5 minutes ago
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 5 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2