I am in the market for some open cans. I have no issue buying used gear, and would like to spend around $250-300 max. Although I haven't built it yet, I have all the parts for the millett starving student hybrid amp, its only a matter of me taking time to get it done. So amping shouldn't be an issue. I currently use Grado SR-80, and while I do like them a lot, i am just looking for something different. I listen to a lot of classic rock/prog, jazz fusion, and electronic music.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Recommendation (Rock,Metal, <$300) Last post on 9/12/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice in audiophile headphone choosing Last post on 3/20/11 at 5:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open phones under $100 to complement my closed Ultrasones? Last post on 9/4/11 at 8:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 9/13/14 at 12:36am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Looking for open cans, new or used around $250post #1 of 48/3/10 at 10:52amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/4/10 at 11:56amThread Starterpost #3 of 48/4/10 at 12:42pm
I like the mix and match of sounds between my SR80s and the AKG K702. I have a similar taste in music to you and like the choice of dynamics vs detail. Prog and jazz suit both cans IMO.post #4 of 48/4/10 at 2:08pm
AKG 242 HD might be a good choice for you. its retailing for around $280 now. Ashame, because it was going for less then $240 only a few short days ago. Still, its within your budget. Good luck with your search.
- Looking for open cans, new or used around $250
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Allnic HPA-3000 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › HD25s Broke...Looking for recommendations 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 3 minutes ago
- › PX100-II Review | Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › sonus faber cremona auditor M 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)