I am in the market for some open cans. I have no issue buying used gear, and would like to spend around $250-300 max. Although I haven't built it yet, I have all the parts for the millett starving student hybrid amp, its only a matter of me taking time to get it done. So amping shouldn't be an issue. I currently use Grado SR-80, and while I do like them a lot, i am just looking for something different. I listen to a lot of classic rock/prog, jazz fusion, and electronic music.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Recommendation (Rock,Metal, <$300) Last post on 9/12/11 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice in audiophile headphone choosing Last post on 3/20/11 at 5:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open phones under $100 to complement my closed Ultrasones? Last post on 9/4/11 at 8:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Last post on 3/8/15 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
Looking for open cans, new or used around $250post #1 of 48/3/10 at 10:52amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 48/4/10 at 11:56amThread Starterpost #3 of 48/4/10 at 12:42pm
I like the mix and match of sounds between my SR80s and the AKG K702. I have a similar taste in music to you and like the choice of dynamics vs detail. Prog and jazz suit both cans IMO.post #4 of 48/4/10 at 2:08pm
AKG 242 HD might be a good choice for you. its retailing for around $280 now. Ashame, because it was going for less then $240 only a few short days ago. Still, its within your budget. Good luck with your search.
- Looking for open cans, new or used around $250
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Best gear for listening to classical music... 9 seconds ago
- › Anyone heard of fake Shure SE846s? 31 seconds ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 4 minutes ago
- › iDAC2. iFi will Rock you Mac World! (page 34) 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 7 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2