Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I have some dissatisfaction about my "PRO900"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have some dissatisfaction about my "PRO900"

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

hello~ I`m pro900 user.

 

like i said in title, I have things don`t like about pro900.

 

So i`m going to list that things

 

1. sibilance sound on vocal (mid)

 

2. metallic sound

 

 

That 2 things make my ear hurt. makes me very uncomfortable. I just can`t hold my headphone on

 

Though I love magnificent bass, awesome detail, I hate that 2things

 

I use TR amp with pro900.  And only got a lossless source.  I`m not a portable user.  

 

I don`t have specific DAC. because of money...

 

I tried "kees mod"   but that mod make it even worse. I don`t understand..

 

I don`t know...Maybe I didn`t do it right in process..

 

 please help me...

 

post #2 of 34

Those two things you're talking about are exactly why I didn't kept it.

I would add the built quality as well.

 

Really don't understand how people can like them...

post #3 of 34

Sell it away , get a more forgiving headphone. Like hd600 or dt880

post #4 of 34

We all make purchasing mistakes from time to time, if you don't like it, sell it and move on. Though sibilence isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it's the track's fault, not the headphones... I know lots of Chinese pop does XD


Edited by Ypoknons - 8/1/10 at 6:30pm
post #5 of 34

My Pro 750 got a LOT better after the Kees mod.  How thick of cotton did you put in there?  It needs to be an extremely thin layer, because you just want to eat up some of that treble flying around in there.  If you put too much in, it will eat up the bass, and you end up with the same problem over again.

 

I found I had the best results when I covered a couple more of the holes on the baffle (I used painter's tape).  It's worth trying before you toss them completely.

 

The 750s are still my coldest sounding headphones, but they are quite pleasant now.

 

Anyhoo, a couple more things to try.

 

There's a chance, of course, that you just won't like them.  

post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the precious advice....

 

I make my decision to sell it and move on...

post #7 of 34

Wrong choice!

 

The right choice would be to KeeS mod it because it fixes those two issues and more. It cost virtually nothing so if you still don´t like them you haven´t lost anything and can sell them as "KeeS modded Pro 900" ;) Though sibilance is not the fault of the headphones. It´s only sibilant if it´s in the recordings. But yes if you want a forgiving headphone don´t get any in the pro series since they can be aggressive.

 

post #8 of 34

He's already tried Kees mod, he should do what joelpearce recommended but he should be prepared to sell too.

post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Wrong choice!

 

The right choice would be to KeeS mod it because it fixes those two issues and more. It cost virtually nothing so if you still don´t like them you haven´t lost anything and can sell them as "KeeS modded Pro 900" ;) Though sibilance is not the fault of the headphones. It´s only sibilant if it´s in the recordings. But yes if you want a forgiving headphone don´t get any in the pro series since they can be aggressive.

 



As i said, I tried that mod once...and I think you`re maybe right about "sibilance issue"

 

But I`m quite sure that kees mod dosen`t solve the "metallic sound" making me unpleasant.

 

Probably, I should try D5000 or w1000 that much less aggressive than PRO900, I think.

 

anyway~ thanks !!

post #10 of 34

I see. Well I have a problem see how it could make things worse but tastes is different :)

I use a thin layer of cotton wool. Some pads to increase the weight on the ear cup and a pad to cover the middle hole. As long as the pad on the ear cup aren´t touching the driver it´s hard to do wrong.

 

I do find it takes away the sometimes metallic treble. And also make it slightly less punishing on sibilance if you cover the middle hole. Kills the soundstage a bit but it´s still superb.

 

D5000 has wood colouration instead. Pick your poison. Look into the DX 1000 as well in that category. Quite fun and very forgiving. slightly rolled off treble to make it softer. I find it very picky about amp and

the bass is sometimes borderline to much. If you want more bass quantity then the 900 gives you they might be right though.

post #11 of 34

I feel you, man. I replaced these with my Sony XB700's They sounded similar in quality but the XB700's just had that magic.

Oh and it only costs me $80 compared to the Pro900's.


Edited by Option` - 8/2/10 at 3:17am
post #12 of 34

Are you wearing them properly and have you played with positioning? You might just be sensible to treble. In that case  just sell them and get a can with softer treble. Still fascinating how everybody's hearing differs. I experience none of those problems. Well, I notice they sounded a bit metallic at first but burn-in or acclimatisation quickly solved that. 

post #13 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

I see. Well I have a problem see how it could make things worse but tastes is different :)

I use a thin layer of cotton wool. Some pads to increase the weight on the ear cup and a pad to cover the middle hole. As long as the pad on the ear cup aren´t touching the driver it´s hard to do wrong.

 

I do find it takes away the sometimes metallic treble. And also make it slightly less punishing on sibilance if you cover the middle hole. Kills the soundstage a bit but it´s still superb.

 

D5000 has wood colouration instead. Pick your poison. Look into the DX 1000 as well in that category. Quite fun and very forgiving. slightly rolled off treble to make it softer. I find it very picky about amp and

the bass is sometimes borderline to much. If you want more bass quantity then the 900 gives you they might be right though.


maybe I should reconsider my decision giving up pro900.

Actually, I love every aspect of pro900 except that 2things.

 

bass, detail, packege, pad and others.. these are great!
 

I seriously want to have your definite word that kees mod can improve pro900. Then I try one more time.

 

I can`t afford dx1000. I don`t have enough money.....

post #14 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Are you wearing them properly and have you played with positioning? You might just be sensible to treble. In that case  just sell them and get a can with softer treble. Still fascinating how everybody's hearing differs. I experience none of those problems. Well, I notice they sounded a bit metallic at first but burn-in or acclimatisation quickly solved that. 


Yes~ I`ve had pro900 for 4month. That`s proper time to know what is the right position and burn in.

 

I admit. I`m sensible about treble. So  I`m going to give it a try something else

 

post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option` View Post

I feel you, man. I replaced these with my Sony XB700's They sounded similar in quality but the XB700's just had that magic.

Oh and it only costs me $80 compared to the Pro900's.

isn`t that SUNNY ? The picture you have.. What do you know about that girl?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I have some dissatisfaction about my "PRO900"