What about the Dynalo that's on sale in the forum right now?
Related Forum Threads
- DAC to match Graham Slee Solo and HD650 Last post on 6/11/12 at 12:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650 or OTHER as 2nd pair of headphones... Last post on 4/21/11 at 11:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2 Rigs. 2 Options. Have your say! Last post on 9/27/10 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 and Amp, DAC, or AMP/DAC? Last post on 9/4/10 at 4:22am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp Last post on 12/31/11 at 8:29am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
HD650: Best Headphone AMP + DAC PERIOD?! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Did you read the first reply to your post???
Pardon me while I laugh my ass off that you put spent as much on some silver cable as you did on the DAC and amp and by the way, 99.9% is considerably lower than most audio cables, 99.99% (4N) is considered "low", 5N is average and 6N+ is "high purity".
If you still have the option, get rid of that cable, use the stock one until you seriously improve your system, then consider cable upgrades, that would boost your budget a bit too.
At $600, look for a used older DAC from here, audiogon or ebay. Lots of great units in the $400 price range, then snag the Dynalo that's selling now on the forum.
Lol, is 'pure' silver cable really that much better than copper? I mean, the resistivity difference between silver and copper is .0000000009Ω*m. You mean to tell me you can hear the difference in attenuation in a maybe two meter headphone cable? If you're hearing a difference in that short of a cable, something is seriously wrong with your equipment.
I apologize ahead of time if I have offended anyone.
I can actually hear a difference. Even though I am running my headphones directly through my laptops 3.5mm port, mind you my comp doesnt even have a sound card lol.
I'm sure it'll make a lot more noticable difference once i get my new amp / dac.
However, the difference is absolutely minimal for the time being though, dont get me wrong.
You guys think your so funny don`t you lol, hahah
No im just kidding.
The cables are UP-OCC technology which has the purest material (7N).
It has 5 layers of shields, which are very thin. The outermost layer is very soft and flexible. These layers will prevent any noise in the cable.
Also terminated by a premium Furutech 1/4" premium plug, and yes it is 99.999% silver. The wires are 24awg. Each wire is insulated by a Teflon cover and uses VariStrand tech at the core of each wire.
The outer cover is also my other custom-made carbon fiber sleeve.
I am only using this pc at the moment because I only recently started getting into this and buying my gear. I am looking around for the best source.
I agree with FallenAngel that spending that much money on a cable before a proper DAC/amp isn't prudent. But, since you've already bought it, the cable you have is very good (I own a similar one).
The Dynahi is about the best solid-state amp available, and you probably won't be able to find one anymore (parts discontinued).
Go for a well-built Dynalo+Sigma-22 PSU for the amp. It's better than everything else you've proposed.
I would go for a y2 DAC if the budget allowed it. If not, get a Musiland 02US, which mates very well with the HD650 and hangs with much more expensive DACs IMO.
I'm new to Head Fi. I'm surprised to note that the NuForce Icon HDP wasn't suggested as an amp for 650 until now.
It is the best rated amp on head fi and very reasonably priced. What you think about this combo ?
I've recently ordered the HD650 on amazon after a price drop (managed to get one for 349$. New, not used.)
I also wanted to watch movies with it. I've ordered the Earforce DSS 7.1 along with it.
I'm also looking for a decent AMP (can be with DAC inbuilt/included).
I'm intending to play music from my macbook pro (optical out).
For movie/video playback:
I have a HDD mediaplayer with Optical out and HDMI 1.3 out (i'm planning to get a plasma, preferably the LG 50PK550 model, to which i want to connect the HDMI out). I will be connecting the optical out from the HDD media player to the Earforce DSS and the HD 650 to the stereo out of the DSS.
I've read lots of reviews for headphone amps and finally short listed a few:
1. NuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp), Black (449$)
2. Audiophile Products Fubar IV Plus - Silver USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier (349$)
3. HRT Music Streamer II + High Resolution USB D/A Converter (349$) (drawback: USB inputs only, no optical cable inputs, so can't use my optical out.)
Also came to know about the M2Tech hiFace with other addons. Any thoughts on this and my short listed amps?
Seniors, please advise.
Edited by Pradeep - 8/18/10 at 10:23am
Skip the Earforce DSS 7.1, and well, just about the rest of the system ideas.
Stick with the HD650, but consider getting other components. :)
You'll have optical S/PDIF output, might as well just get a decent DAC that uses optical S/PDIF.
For amp, there are lots of great options, I always recommend sticking to tried and true designs over new overly-hyped products until they get some real recognition.
Check out the PS Audio GCHA. It's powerful enough to drive the HD-650s and has a built-in USB DAC. You can find this previously $1000 unit new from reputable dealers for $500.
HD 600 + GCHA sound quite nice together actually, but lets be fair: The amp was never worth 1000$ and thats why I sold horribly until lowered to 500$
- HD650: Best Headphone AMP + DAC PERIOD?!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 3 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 4 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 4 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3