A few months ago I purchased M-audio Q40's and I'm very happy with them, they sound great. They have quite a bit of clamping force; using my contact lenses I have no problems with the headphones, but with my glasses the headphones press the glasses against my head and they start hurting in a few minutes. I'm looking for alternatives in the same price range, up to around $200, something what has less clamping force, and generally would be more comfortable while wearing glasses. Any suggestions?
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/29/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 7/30/10
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) Last post on Yesterday at 6:11 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best <$150 Headphones for me. PLEASE HELP Last post on 12/29/10 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High Schooler looking for his first serious headphones Last post on 12/17/10 at 8:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from IEMs to some cans Last post on 11/24/10 at 11:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 6/11/15 at 2:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Westone for providing me with review sample in exchange for my honest opinion....
An early welcome greeted me when I arrived in Los Angeles for the 2015 CanJam SoCal meet: A new pair of MrSpeakers headphones. Dan Clark, having spent many years modifying the inexpensive...
This will be more of my impressions/comparisons and less of a review. I will be comparing them to the HD800 & K712 Pro ran over USB to the Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp (HD800 - Low Gain, K12 - Low Gain,...
This review is based in my experience of almost 6 months with them, running 24/96 Flacs > Foobar2K > Wasapi > Asus Realtek ALC1150 + 4580 Op-amp > HD668B I decided to reboot my interest in audio...
It is surprising that no one else has posted a review, maybe all are enjoying it too much to bother. I've been holding back from writing a review because it is important to live with a mobile...
Comfortable closed headphones $150post #1 of 107/29/10 at 11:54amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/29/10 at 12:15pmpost #3 of 107/29/10 at 12:26pm
Idk if the Sennheiser 25-I-II or M50 supports glasses, but many recommend them. I also recommend the RP-21s, they have an angled slot specifically for glasses when you wear them. They also have a hard clamping force at first, which requires some overnight stretching and Beyerdynamic pleather pads for better long-term comfort.post #4 of 107/29/10 at 1:32pmpost #5 of 107/29/10 at 2:54pm
If you are happy with your Q40's, keep them. No need to get an entire new headphone due to some clamping force. Most closed headphones are going to have a pretty tight clamp, so the best way to get rid of that is to stretch them. No, not on your head, but around something. Many suggest putting them around a bunch of lined up books. Me on the other hand, use my glass mannequin to relieve clamping force.
post #6 of 107/29/10 at 11:26pmThread Starter
Guess I'll do that, already stretched once overnight by putting them around the box they came in, as several people mentioned they had done in the Q40 thread. It lessened the clamping force, I'll do another stretching session a try.post #7 of 101/23/11 at 3:24pmpost #8 of 103/24/11 at 6:12pmpost #9 of 103/24/11 at 6:48pm
- Comfortable closed headphones $150
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › La Figaro 339 18 seconds ago
- › July 4th Flash Sale! 25% off with promocode: JULY4 54 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon" 3 minutes ago
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 3 minutes ago
- › cables are placebo 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by cloud_c
- › PreSonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo... by audionut44
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by RedTwilight
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by AvidlyEclectic
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)