A few months ago I purchased M-audio Q40's and I'm very happy with them, they sound great. They have quite a bit of clamping force; using my contact lenses I have no problems with the headphones, but with my glasses the headphones press the glasses against my head and they start hurting in a few minutes. I'm looking for alternatives in the same price range, up to around $200, something what has less clamping force, and generally would be more comfortable while wearing glasses. Any suggestions?
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/29/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 7/30/10
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) Last post on 4/30/15 at 4:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best <$150 Headphones for me. PLEASE HELP Last post on 12/29/10 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High Schooler looking for his first serious headphones Last post on 12/17/10 at 8:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from IEMs to some cans Last post on 11/24/10 at 11:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 12/6/14 at 1:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
Grado SR80i Intro Thingy: I was wondering if I should even review the SR80i because Grado's e series cans came out not too long ago and I was thinking noone would heed my review 'cause the...
Comfortable closed headphones $150post #1 of 107/29/10 at 11:54amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/29/10 at 12:15pmpost #3 of 107/29/10 at 12:26pm
Idk if the Sennheiser 25-I-II or M50 supports glasses, but many recommend them. I also recommend the RP-21s, they have an angled slot specifically for glasses when you wear them. They also have a hard clamping force at first, which requires some overnight stretching and Beyerdynamic pleather pads for better long-term comfort.post #4 of 107/29/10 at 1:32pmpost #5 of 107/29/10 at 2:54pm
If you are happy with your Q40's, keep them. No need to get an entire new headphone due to some clamping force. Most closed headphones are going to have a pretty tight clamp, so the best way to get rid of that is to stretch them. No, not on your head, but around something. Many suggest putting them around a bunch of lined up books. Me on the other hand, use my glass mannequin to relieve clamping force.
post #6 of 107/29/10 at 11:26pmThread Starter
Guess I'll do that, already stretched once overnight by putting them around the box they came in, as several people mentioned they had done in the Q40 thread. It lessened the clamping force, I'll do another stretching session a try.post #7 of 101/23/11 at 3:24pmpost #8 of 103/24/11 at 6:12pmpost #9 of 103/24/11 at 6:48pm
- Comfortable closed headphones $150
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 12 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 21 seconds ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 33 seconds ago
- › Grado PS1000 Owner's List 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Need advice for buying A/V receiver for existing Audioengine A5+... 2 minutes ago
- › 2015 Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable Player -... 2 minutes ago
- › Bluedio UFO 8 Drivers Bluetooth Headphones Review 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2