A few months ago I purchased M-audio Q40's and I'm very happy with them, they sound great. They have quite a bit of clamping force; using my contact lenses I have no problems with the headphones, but with my glasses the headphones press the glasses against my head and they start hurting in a few minutes. I'm looking for alternatives in the same price range, up to around $200, something what has less clamping force, and generally would be more comfortable while wearing glasses. Any suggestions?
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/29/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 7/30/10
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) Last post on 6/5/16 at 2:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best <$150 Headphones for me. PLEASE HELP Last post on 12/29/10 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High Schooler looking for his first serious headphones Last post on 12/17/10 at 8:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from IEMs to some cans Last post on 11/24/10 at 11:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 6/11/15 at 2:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First, I would like to thank Shozy for sending me a pre-production model of the Zero in exchange for my honest opinion. My pre-production model arrived in a small package. Inside was the Zero...
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
INTRO:- Yup, I am back. This time around I have the Meelectronics M7P. This is an interesting piece of earphone. To be precise I had not seen one like this before. This one belongs to MEE...
Intro:- Yo yo… Back again with Rockjaw Audio Alfa genus V2. Rockjaw is not an unknown brand by any means, famous for their value for money earphones and are one of the few British brands in...
My review of Alfa genus V2 can be found here. http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus-v2-earphones-with-in-line-mic-3x-tuning-filters/reviews/16322 Sorry for the wrong post.
Comfortable closed headphones $150post #1 of 107/29/10 at 11:54amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/29/10 at 12:15pmpost #3 of 107/29/10 at 12:26pm
Idk if the Sennheiser 25-I-II or M50 supports glasses, but many recommend them. I also recommend the RP-21s, they have an angled slot specifically for glasses when you wear them. They also have a hard clamping force at first, which requires some overnight stretching and Beyerdynamic pleather pads for better long-term comfort.post #4 of 107/29/10 at 1:32pmpost #5 of 107/29/10 at 2:54pm
If you are happy with your Q40's, keep them. No need to get an entire new headphone due to some clamping force. Most closed headphones are going to have a pretty tight clamp, so the best way to get rid of that is to stretch them. No, not on your head, but around something. Many suggest putting them around a bunch of lined up books. Me on the other hand, use my glass mannequin to relieve clamping force.
post #6 of 107/29/10 at 11:26pmThread Starter
Guess I'll do that, already stretched once overnight by putting them around the box they came in, as several people mentioned they had done in the Q40 thread. It lessened the clamping force, I'll do another stretching session a try.post #7 of 101/23/11 at 3:24pmpost #8 of 103/24/11 at 6:12pmpost #9 of 103/24/11 at 6:48pm
- Comfortable closed headphones $150
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › ATH MSR7 or ATH WS1100is? 3 minutes ago
- › Westone Customs - how have they evolved since ES5? 4 minutes ago
- › LZ-A2s impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio – A force to be reckoned with 6 minutes ago
- › DC area meet - Sunday, June 26, 5pm - 9pm 6 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 6 minutes ago
- › New iRiver AK70 7 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...