A few months ago I purchased M-audio Q40's and I'm very happy with them, they sound great. They have quite a bit of clamping force; using my contact lenses I have no problems with the headphones, but with my glasses the headphones press the glasses against my head and they start hurting in a few minutes. I'm looking for alternatives in the same price range, up to around $200, something what has less clamping force, and generally would be more comfortable while wearing glasses. Any suggestions?
- brandAudio Technicatagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/29/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/29/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/29/10
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 7/30/10
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/30/10
Related Forum Threads
- Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) Last post on 2/17/15 at 8:51am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best <$150 Headphones for me. PLEASE HELP Last post on 12/29/10 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- High Schooler looking for his first serious headphones Last post on 12/17/10 at 8:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrading from IEMs to some cans Last post on 11/24/10 at 11:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 12/6/14 at 1:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Comfortable closed headphones $150post #1 of 107/29/10 at 11:54amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 107/29/10 at 12:15pmpost #3 of 107/29/10 at 12:26pm
Idk if the Sennheiser 25-I-II or M50 supports glasses, but many recommend them. I also recommend the RP-21s, they have an angled slot specifically for glasses when you wear them. They also have a hard clamping force at first, which requires some overnight stretching and Beyerdynamic pleather pads for better long-term comfort.post #4 of 107/29/10 at 1:32pmpost #5 of 107/29/10 at 2:54pm
If you are happy with your Q40's, keep them. No need to get an entire new headphone due to some clamping force. Most closed headphones are going to have a pretty tight clamp, so the best way to get rid of that is to stretch them. No, not on your head, but around something. Many suggest putting them around a bunch of lined up books. Me on the other hand, use my glass mannequin to relieve clamping force.
post #6 of 107/29/10 at 11:26pmThread Starter
Guess I'll do that, already stretched once overnight by putting them around the box they came in, as several people mentioned they had done in the Q40 thread. It lessened the clamping force, I'll do another stretching session a try.post #7 of 101/23/11 at 3:24pmpost #8 of 103/24/11 at 6:12pmpost #9 of 103/24/11 at 6:48pm
- Comfortable closed headphones $150
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › "The Lab" 56 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply) 7 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 7 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 8 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 9 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 10 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2