What is the one amp that has a huge variety of the same tube but are made by different companies. EXAMPLE: Woo Audio 6 only has 1 tube (Sophia Princess) that can be used on it, and im not sure there are any other 5AR4 tubes that you can buy.
Related Forum Threads
- Sophia Princess 274b Rectifier, how much improvement for the Woo Audio WA6 ? Last post on 6/13/13 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice Last post on 1/14/17 at 10:28pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
RHA DacAmp L1 Review January 2017 Intro To start with, thanks again to Glassmonkey for organising this tour and RHA making all possible to start with. RHA known for their IEMs...
The completely wireless Axgio Dash seems to be a pair of $49 Apple Airpod killer. I was skeptical at first. The Dash arrived in a small, simple no frills box. It looks exactly like the packaging...
*I was provided a review sample by iFi for the Black Label tour* iFi Micro iDSD BLACK LABEL Packaging and Build Quality The iDSD Black Label came packaged in a sturdy, well presented...
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on itpost #1 of 87/29/10 at 10:25amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/29/10 at 10:31am
everyone made 5ar4 in the past.
Tuberolling is a pretty rough pastime. Once you get beyond flavors of the same tube (every various version of the 6sn7 for example) at best you get something that sort of works, at worst you let the smoke out of the amp.
Why not use the amp with the tubes it was designed to use, and just roll amps? Considering what people spend on tubes its not actually an unreasonable suggestion. I know the answer to this question*, and asked it half hypothetically, but it is serious... why not?
*The answer is that this is head-fi.
Edited by nikongod - 7/29/10 at 10:36ampost #3 of 87/29/10 at 10:33am
i'm not sure i get what you're saying, cifani090.
but, for the rectifier on the WA6, there are tons of options out there.
emission labs and sophia are just a couple companies that make rectifiers currently.
and there are endless NOS rectifiers out there...
post #4 of 87/29/10 at 11:40amThread Starterpost #5 of 87/29/10 at 12:04pm
No, rectifier tubes have different values and power handling capabilities depending on the model. The 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34 and CV1377, but something like a 5Y3 is not going to replace the 5AR4 unless you modify the amp.
I'm with Nikongod about tuberolling. Yes, there is a limited benefit, but you'll spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing NOS tubes and rare reproductions. Often, this costs more than it would cost to buy another amp. Further, my interest lies in the variation of tube circuits and different models of tubes.
I think you're better off buying the amp you want with the circuit you think is best. Find a set of well-made tubes that work, then run them until they burn out. If you want a different flavor, then get another pair of headphones or an amp with a different circuit.post #6 of 87/29/10 at 12:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 87/29/10 at 12:24pmpost #8 of 87/29/10 at 4:18pm
It depends on the tube itself and what applications it's used in. Power tubes generally live shorter than preamp tubes. Each amp drives tubes differently, so amp A might run an RCA 6AS7G power tube for 5000 hours, whereas amp B might run the same tube 1000 hours.
- ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on it
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › OUT NOW: Shanling UP - A Hi-Res, MFI-Certified, USB-C, MINI-DAC/AMP... 14 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 38 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 1 minute ago
- › can an amp deafen noise from a DAC? 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › New Desktop DAC/amp from IMS 3 minutes ago
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear