What is the one amp that has a huge variety of the same tube but are made by different companies. EXAMPLE: Woo Audio 6 only has 1 tube (Sophia Princess) that can be used on it, and im not sure there are any other 5AR4 tubes that you can buy.
Related Forum Threads
- Sophia Princess 274b Rectifier, how much improvement for the Woo Audio WA6 ? Last post on 6/13/13 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice Last post on 7/4/16 at 9:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on itpost #1 of 87/29/10 at 10:25amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/29/10 at 10:31am
everyone made 5ar4 in the past.
Tuberolling is a pretty rough pastime. Once you get beyond flavors of the same tube (every various version of the 6sn7 for example) at best you get something that sort of works, at worst you let the smoke out of the amp.
Why not use the amp with the tubes it was designed to use, and just roll amps? Considering what people spend on tubes its not actually an unreasonable suggestion. I know the answer to this question*, and asked it half hypothetically, but it is serious... why not?
*The answer is that this is head-fi.
Edited by nikongod - 7/29/10 at 10:36ampost #3 of 87/29/10 at 10:33am
i'm not sure i get what you're saying, cifani090.
but, for the rectifier on the WA6, there are tons of options out there.
emission labs and sophia are just a couple companies that make rectifiers currently.
and there are endless NOS rectifiers out there...
post #4 of 87/29/10 at 11:40amThread Starterpost #5 of 87/29/10 at 12:04pm
No, rectifier tubes have different values and power handling capabilities depending on the model. The 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34 and CV1377, but something like a 5Y3 is not going to replace the 5AR4 unless you modify the amp.
I'm with Nikongod about tuberolling. Yes, there is a limited benefit, but you'll spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing NOS tubes and rare reproductions. Often, this costs more than it would cost to buy another amp. Further, my interest lies in the variation of tube circuits and different models of tubes.
I think you're better off buying the amp you want with the circuit you think is best. Find a set of well-made tubes that work, then run them until they burn out. If you want a different flavor, then get another pair of headphones or an amp with a different circuit.post #6 of 87/29/10 at 12:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 87/29/10 at 12:24pmpost #8 of 87/29/10 at 4:18pm
It depends on the tube itself and what applications it's used in. Power tubes generally live shorter than preamp tubes. Each amp drives tubes differently, so amp A might run an RCA 6AS7G power tube for 5000 hours, whereas amp B might run the same tube 1000 hours.
- ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on it
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Android phone amp without dac 3 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 3 minutes ago
- › Denver summer meet, 2016 - August 27 4 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › I just got my HD600... you know the drill... 6 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 7 minutes ago
- › External PC Mixing 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...