What is the one amp that has a huge variety of the same tube but are made by different companies. EXAMPLE: Woo Audio 6 only has 1 tube (Sophia Princess) that can be used on it, and im not sure there are any other 5AR4 tubes that you can buy.
Related Forum Threads
- Sophia Princess 274b Rectifier, how much improvement for the Woo Audio WA6 ? Last post on 6/13/13 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice Last post on 7/28/15 at 9:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on itpost #1 of 87/29/10 at 10:25amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/29/10 at 10:31am
everyone made 5ar4 in the past.
Tuberolling is a pretty rough pastime. Once you get beyond flavors of the same tube (every various version of the 6sn7 for example) at best you get something that sort of works, at worst you let the smoke out of the amp.
Why not use the amp with the tubes it was designed to use, and just roll amps? Considering what people spend on tubes its not actually an unreasonable suggestion. I know the answer to this question*, and asked it half hypothetically, but it is serious... why not?
*The answer is that this is head-fi.
Edited by nikongod - 7/29/10 at 10:36ampost #3 of 87/29/10 at 10:33am
i'm not sure i get what you're saying, cifani090.
but, for the rectifier on the WA6, there are tons of options out there.
emission labs and sophia are just a couple companies that make rectifiers currently.
and there are endless NOS rectifiers out there...
post #4 of 87/29/10 at 11:40amThread Starterpost #5 of 87/29/10 at 12:04pm
No, rectifier tubes have different values and power handling capabilities depending on the model. The 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34 and CV1377, but something like a 5Y3 is not going to replace the 5AR4 unless you modify the amp.
I'm with Nikongod about tuberolling. Yes, there is a limited benefit, but you'll spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing NOS tubes and rare reproductions. Often, this costs more than it would cost to buy another amp. Further, my interest lies in the variation of tube circuits and different models of tubes.
I think you're better off buying the amp you want with the circuit you think is best. Find a set of well-made tubes that work, then run them until they burn out. If you want a different flavor, then get another pair of headphones or an amp with a different circuit.post #6 of 87/29/10 at 12:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 87/29/10 at 12:24pmpost #8 of 87/29/10 at 4:18pm
It depends on the tube itself and what applications it's used in. Power tubes generally live shorter than preamp tubes. Each amp drives tubes differently, so amp A might run an RCA 6AS7G power tube for 5000 hours, whereas amp B might run the same tube 1000 hours.
- ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on it
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 21 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Vape-Fi 1 minute ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (Reviewed: #8:CT6E, #7:H8P,... 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3