What is the one amp that has a huge variety of the same tube but are made by different companies. EXAMPLE: Woo Audio 6 only has 1 tube (Sophia Princess) that can be used on it, and im not sure there are any other 5AR4 tubes that you can buy.
Related Forum Threads
- Sophia Princess 274b Rectifier, how much improvement for the Woo Audio WA6 ? Last post on 6/13/13 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice Last post on Today at 2:47 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Not too much to say here other than that these headphones are stellar! I mostly listen to my vinyl collection with these bad boys and it's an absolute joy. I purchased an external amp to power them...
Man are these awesome , they're cheap..but as all Beyers they sound fu**** awesome , these are clean , fun and dynamic , they sound excellent Let me preface this by telling this...
This is actually the first "over-head" headphone i ever bought, but compared to my philips and LG tone+ this one is a lot more for 70$, i mainly use it on my gaming rig with sound card...
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on itpost #1 of 87/29/10 at 10:25amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/29/10 at 10:31am
everyone made 5ar4 in the past.
Tuberolling is a pretty rough pastime. Once you get beyond flavors of the same tube (every various version of the 6sn7 for example) at best you get something that sort of works, at worst you let the smoke out of the amp.
Why not use the amp with the tubes it was designed to use, and just roll amps? Considering what people spend on tubes its not actually an unreasonable suggestion. I know the answer to this question*, and asked it half hypothetically, but it is serious... why not?
*The answer is that this is head-fi.
Edited by nikongod - 7/29/10 at 10:36ampost #3 of 87/29/10 at 10:33am
i'm not sure i get what you're saying, cifani090.
but, for the rectifier on the WA6, there are tons of options out there.
emission labs and sophia are just a couple companies that make rectifiers currently.
and there are endless NOS rectifiers out there...
post #4 of 87/29/10 at 11:40amThread Starterpost #5 of 87/29/10 at 12:04pm
No, rectifier tubes have different values and power handling capabilities depending on the model. The 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34 and CV1377, but something like a 5Y3 is not going to replace the 5AR4 unless you modify the amp.
I'm with Nikongod about tuberolling. Yes, there is a limited benefit, but you'll spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing NOS tubes and rare reproductions. Often, this costs more than it would cost to buy another amp. Further, my interest lies in the variation of tube circuits and different models of tubes.
I think you're better off buying the amp you want with the circuit you think is best. Find a set of well-made tubes that work, then run them until they burn out. If you want a different flavor, then get another pair of headphones or an amp with a different circuit.post #6 of 87/29/10 at 12:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 87/29/10 at 12:24pmpost #8 of 87/29/10 at 4:18pm
It depends on the tube itself and what applications it's used in. Power tubes generally live shorter than preamp tubes. Each amp drives tubes differently, so amp A might run an RCA 6AS7G power tube for 5000 hours, whereas amp B might run the same tube 1000 hours.
- ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on it
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Beyerdynamic DT990 (ver.2005) Appreciation Thread!! 1 second ago
- › Thoughts on the Sony MDR-XB90EX? 29 seconds ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560 31 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-D7000 *Best Price* 2 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 6 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by WavyGravy1
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Trendline Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Marshall Headphones - 'Major' Over Ear (Black) by Kordz
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)