What is the one amp that has a huge variety of the same tube but are made by different companies. EXAMPLE: Woo Audio 6 only has 1 tube (Sophia Princess) that can be used on it, and im not sure there are any other 5AR4 tubes that you can buy.
Related Forum Threads
- Sophia Princess 274b Rectifier, how much improvement for the Woo Audio WA6 ? Last post on 6/13/13 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice Last post on 6/25/16 at 6:04am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I sell my WA6? Last post on 8/3/11 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a small tube amp for travel w/ w1000x...using the WA6 at home. Last post on 6/4/13 at 6:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on itpost #1 of 87/29/10 at 10:25amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/29/10 at 10:31am
everyone made 5ar4 in the past.
Tuberolling is a pretty rough pastime. Once you get beyond flavors of the same tube (every various version of the 6sn7 for example) at best you get something that sort of works, at worst you let the smoke out of the amp.
Why not use the amp with the tubes it was designed to use, and just roll amps? Considering what people spend on tubes its not actually an unreasonable suggestion. I know the answer to this question*, and asked it half hypothetically, but it is serious... why not?
*The answer is that this is head-fi.
Edited by nikongod - 7/29/10 at 10:36ampost #3 of 87/29/10 at 10:33am
i'm not sure i get what you're saying, cifani090.
but, for the rectifier on the WA6, there are tons of options out there.
emission labs and sophia are just a couple companies that make rectifiers currently.
and there are endless NOS rectifiers out there...
post #4 of 87/29/10 at 11:40amThread Starterpost #5 of 87/29/10 at 12:04pm
No, rectifier tubes have different values and power handling capabilities depending on the model. The 5AR4 is interchangeable with the GZ34 and CV1377, but something like a 5Y3 is not going to replace the 5AR4 unless you modify the amp.
I'm with Nikongod about tuberolling. Yes, there is a limited benefit, but you'll spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing NOS tubes and rare reproductions. Often, this costs more than it would cost to buy another amp. Further, my interest lies in the variation of tube circuits and different models of tubes.
I think you're better off buying the amp you want with the circuit you think is best. Find a set of well-made tubes that work, then run them until they burn out. If you want a different flavor, then get another pair of headphones or an amp with a different circuit.post #6 of 87/29/10 at 12:19pmThread Starterpost #7 of 87/29/10 at 12:24pmpost #8 of 87/29/10 at 4:18pm
It depends on the tube itself and what applications it's used in. Power tubes generally live shorter than preamp tubes. Each amp drives tubes differently, so amp A might run an RCA 6AS7G power tube for 5000 hours, whereas amp B might run the same tube 1000 hours.
- ONE amp that has the most tubes available to use on it
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 47 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › For sale... PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC... 5 days old... mint condition! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › For sale... Schiit Mjolnir 2 hybrid amp... with 2 pairs of high end... 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 200ohm in Excellent Condition 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...