Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread! - Page 28  

post #406 of 1380

I think I've found the best tip ever for my SM3.

 

After following the advice for snipping off the excess foam from the regular comply foams, I was thinking, why not try the "do-it-yourself" foams that I found here.

 

So I bought some of the Mack's brand SafeSound earplugs, and went ahead and tried the process.

 

I had some yellow shure foamies lying around, so I took the core out of those. Then after several trial-and-error attempts (it's hard to get the right sized hole in the foam, particularly because they compress so easily), I was finally able to get the perfect fit.

 

sm3tip1.jpg

 

Boy, do these sound fantastic on the SM3. With the core coming out a bit further than the foam, this allows the highs and treble to never get muffled by the foam. Furthermore, the seal is so excellent that it can barely be felt, and the bass is (to my ears) actually even more controlled and clean (not as muddy as with regular comply foams).

 

sm3tip2.jpg

 

I think I've found my holy grail for tips! As you can see from the picture, the core is slightly protruding out of the foam, which preserves the highs and treble, while still delivering a clean, tight bass. Here is a size comparison to the normal "long" comply foam tips that I received with my SM3's:

 

sm3tip3.jpg

 

The smaller size really allows for the fit to be perfect--I can't tell that they are in my ears. These tips are definitely the best I've used so far with my SM3's (even better than the double-flange silicone tips that I received with my first SM3 order--before EarSonics had so many orders on hand and introduced a new silicone tip). The best part is--a pack of 10 pairs of earplugs is only around $5. That is a ridiculous price considering the cost of Comply tips! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!


Edited by SolidVictory - 8/7/10 at 6:41pm
post #407 of 1380

I remember seeing that thread a while ago. It looks like a good alternative to comply tips at a much better price.


Edited by rawrster - 8/7/10 at 7:10pm
post #408 of 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidVictory View Post

I think I've found the best tip ever for my SM3.

 

After following the advice for snipping off the excess foam from the regular comply foams, I was thinking, why not try the "do-it-yourself" foams that I found here.

 

So I bought some of the Mack's brand SafeSound earplugs, and went ahead and tried the process.

 

I had some yellow shure foamies lying around, so I took the core out of those. Then after several trial-and-error attempts (it's hard to get the right sized hole in the foam, particularly because they compress so easily), I was finally able to get the perfect fit.

 

 

Boy, do these sound fantastic on the SM3. With the core coming out a bit further than the foam, this allows the highs and treble to never get muffled by the foam. Furthermore, the seal is so excellent that it can barely be felt, and the bass is (to my ears) actually even more controlled and clean (not as muddy as with regular comply foams).

 

I think I've found my holy grail for tips! As you can see from the picture, the core is slightly protruding out of the foam, which preserves the highs and treble, while still delivering a clean, tight bass. Here is a size comparison to the normal "long" comply foam tips that I received with my SM3's:

 

The smaller size really allows for the fit to be perfect--I can't tell that they are in my ears. These tips are definitely the best I've used so far with my SM3's (even better than the double-flange silicone tips that I received with my first SM3 order--before EarSonics had so many orders on hand and introduced a new silicone tip). The best part is--a pack of 10 pairs of earplugs is only around $5. That is a ridiculous price considering the cost of Comply tips! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!


Do they seem to be deteriorating? I know Complys last only a month or 2 tops. How long do you think a pair of these will last?

post #409 of 1380

It should last longer I would think since the quality of that kind of foam is better imo. However at those prices it doesn't really matter.

 

post #410 of 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

It should last longer I would think since the quality of that kind of foam is better imo. However at those prices it doesn't really matter.

 


x2 on that. I think these will last roughly the same amount of time as regular Comply foams, maybe a bit longer. But the greatest difference is that these cost significantly less. Like I mentioned earlier, you can find 10-14 pair packs for around $5, which is dirt cheap!

post #411 of 1380
Nice... I'll have to take a trip to the drugstore tomorrow.
Gary
post #412 of 1380

OK this foam thing has my interest and for the cost I'll see if any of the drugstores carry those. What is the specific brand of plugs if you don't mind me asking?

post #413 of 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 View Post

What prompted you to get the 602?  Seems a bit of a gamble given nobody's given their impressions on it yet - each to their own, of course, but for the same cost you could get a J3 or a Touch or something with much better functionality.  I suspect the 602 is a bit smoke and mirrors really, but I could be wrong....as I usually am.

 

Before I start I'll acknowledge that I know the HiFiMan (HM-801) has been a controversial product with its lovers and hater but I could never justify the price to find out for myself.

 

The reason I personally bought it is was with the current deal they are offering (~$80 USD off the estimated retail price and the inclusion of Head-Directs new flagship IEM, the RE262 for free), I had to take the opportunity to try it for myself.

 

It makes sense to me, to be able to achieve better sound than the conventional J3, iPod etc. Take a look at the s:flo2 and both HiFiMans. While it's subjective that these players achieve their goal of providing better sound or not, I like the idea of what they are trying to achieve. Also it's only $100 AUD more for the HM-602 than a 16gb J3... so it's not completely different leagues price wise. You also have to consider it has a SDHC expansion slot, so the cards are cheaper than their microSD counterparts.

Oh and there's the added DAC function, that if it works like it should, will be handy for me to use with my MacBook Pro. Saves me having to buy a cheap standalone DAC... hopefully.

 

I know no one has heard a production model*, but when it's built by a company who make arguably the best sounding DAP on the market today, some of the best budget IEMs and headphones to compete with the HD800s. It's a pretty safe bet that it's not going to be absolute rubbish.

 

I already own functional players that sound mediocre, so I figured heck, why not give it a go. I can always sell it again if I'm not happy with it and the warranty is pretty decent if I do like it.

Either way I win.

post #414 of 1380

Cheers for the detailed response - that makes a lot of sense.  Will you be kind enough to post your impressions in the Portable Sources forum for us and maybe here as well from the angle of how it sounds with the SM3s?  That would be very interesting.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Kid View Post

 

Before I start I'll acknowledge that I know the HiFiMan (HM-801) has been a controversial product with its lovers and hater but I could never justify the price to find out for myself.

 

The reason I personally bought it is was with the current deal they are offering (~$80 USD off the estimated retail price and the inclusion of Head-Directs new flagship IEM, the RE262 for free), I had to take the opportunity to try it for myself.

 

It makes sense to me, to be able to achieve better sound than the conventional J3, iPod etc. Take a look at the s:flo2 and both HiFiMans. While it's subjective that these players achieve their goal of providing better sound or not, I like the idea of what they are trying to achieve. Also it's only $100 AUD more for the HM-602 than a 16gb J3... so it's not completely different leagues price wise. You also have to consider it has a SDHC expansion slot, so the cards are cheaper than their microSD counterparts.

Oh and there's the added DAC function, that if it works like it should, will be handy for me to use with my MacBook Pro. Saves me having to buy a cheap standalone DAC... hopefully.

 

I know no one has heard a production model*, but when it's built by a company who make arguably the best sounding DAP on the market today, some of the best budget IEMs and headphones to compete with the HD800s. It's a pretty safe bet that it's not going to be absolute rubbish.

 

I already own functional players that sound mediocre, so I figured hell why not give it a go. I can always sell it again if I'm not happy with it and the warranty is pretty decent if I do like it.

Either way I win.

post #415 of 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I find the mids to be forward but not excessively so. It is one of the best aspect of the SM3 in my opinion. They are slightly warm souding which I prefer over a colder midrange.
 


Hey, thanks - grrrrreat news. I'm quite patient but won't deny I can't wait to get my SM3s, but it'll still be another 8 or 9 days.

post #416 of 1380


Hey music, it would be great to hear your views about the SM3 compared to the Westones and Shures you've owned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post




Hey, thanks - grrrrreat news. I'm quite patient but won't deny I can't wait to get my SM3s, but it'll still be another 8 or 9 days.

post #417 of 1380


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post




Hey, thanks - grrrrreat news. I'm quite patient but won't deny I can't wait to get my SM3s, but it'll still be another 8 or 9 days.


8 or 9 days did you not Pre Order? I have to wait until Tuesday and even that is killing me... Good luck :D

post #418 of 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeO View Post

Hey music, it would be great to hear your views about the SM3 compared to the Westones and Shures you've owned
 


Thing is I sold my SE530 in Nov 2008, my W3 in March 2009, and my UM3X in January 2010, so I don't think I could make a fair comparison. Having said that, I think I remember the UM3X pretty well as I often A/B'd them against my ES3X. I also remember the main sonic differences between the UM3X and W3 because I got the former soon after the latter. But, if you want to ask more specific questions when I've received my SM3s, I'll do my best to answer them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKang25 View Post


8 or 9 days did you not Pre Order? I have to wait until Tuesday and even that is killing me... Good luck :D

 

They should arrive within the next couple of days but I'll be away for a week or longer, so it's not until I've got back that I'll be able to try them out. But at least I'll have my laptop, Sony X and ES3X while I'm away, so I can't complain really.
 

post #419 of 1380

I should have the SM2 to compare with the SM3 on Monday, and the SE535 to compare with the SM3 by Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't know if I will do initial impressions or not unless there are just glaring differences.

post #420 of 1380

Hopefully when I get my SM3s either those or the 535s sound noticeably better to my ears so I can return the other pair... Or else im going to be stuck comparing them for weeks past the return date.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!