New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-602 Portable Music Preorder - Page 6

post #76 of 640

I was able to spend some time with Fang at the Charlotte, NC Can Fest on Saturday and was able to do some comparative testing of the HM-602 pre-production (read: minor changes should be expected in final production) model against two HM-801 prototypes, as shown in the pix.  One HM-801 (mine) was equipped with the old ST opamp card and the second one was equipped with the latest (version 2) ST opamp card.  I have tested it against the GAME card as well, but both ST cards had outperformed the GAME, so I have narrowed it down to those.  

 

Headphones used:  JH13 Pro/JH16 Pro/Sony R10

 

In short, my findings for the benefit of those who are considering pre-order:

 

  1. The HM-602 is a bargain for the money, especially at a preorder price.
  2. Overall SQ is nearly identical using 16/44 music to the HM-801, very impressive at the price
  3. Only after exhaustive listening sessions using 24/96 DVD-A extracted files (Checkfield - Surrounded) was I able to detect the edge of the HM-801s superior DAC configuration.  If I had to enumerate the difference, I'd say the HM-602 can deliver about 80% of the HM-801s overall SQ.  Fang has informed me that the difference is more evident once both models are amplified to speakers instead of headphones, but I had no way of confirming this independently.
  4. The HM-602's DAC will work with the iPad thru the photo connector kit (USB)...so does the HM-801
  5. I have asked Fang to find a source in China to obtain compatible batches of SDHC cards that will be tested with both HM-801 and HM-602 and provide as a way to obtain them at a reasonable cost.  Some of us including me ran into issues with various cards and if he could pull this off, that would be great.
  6. Near-gapless playback will be offered, no full gapless feedback.  That is not a firmware issue, rather it's a limitation of the main controller chip being used in both units.
  7. I have strongly suggested that a form fitting case preferably with some kind of belt-clip solution for the HM-602 be offered as an option, because the HM-602 is significantly lighter and more compact than its big brother and could easily be worn on the belt.
  8. The HM-602 will fit perfectly in the JHA carbon fiber optional otterbox, which is great for JH custom owners who ordered it.

 

Hopefully this will help out some of you who have been wondering about these issues. 

 

DSC_0006.jpg

 

DSC_0007.jpg

 

IMG_0007.jpg

 

DSC_0001.jpg

post #77 of 640
Thanks Warp for the comparison I already have the 801 or I would be all over the 602. I have recently sent in my st card for the upgrade so I'm using the game card and find it superior to the st I'm curious as to why you like the st better. Also what source will you be using for your jh3a when it arrives.
post #78 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisg View Post

Thanks Warp for the comparison I already have the 801 or I would be all over the 602. I have recently sent in my st card for the upgrade so I'm using the game card and find it superior to the st I'm curious as to why you like the st better. Also what source will you be using for your jh3a when it arrives.


 

I would also like to know more about warp08 impression regarding game / st card comparison.

To my ears the game card sound better (using EM3pro). More open and effortless sound, tighter low end.

post #79 of 640

warp08,

 

Thanks for your impressions and those two nice suggestions.I'd pre-ordered it last week.

with the on-going head-direct offer, this one should be the best portable player out-of-the-box

post #80 of 640


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post

I was able to spend some time with Fang at the Charlotte, NC Can Fest on Saturday and was able to do some comparative testing of the HM-602 pre-production (read: minor changes should be expected in final production) model against two HM-801 prototypes, as shown in the pix.  One HM-801 (mine) was equipped with the old ST opamp card and the second one was equipped with the latest (version 2) ST opamp card.  I have tested it against the GAME card as well, but both ST cards had outperformed the GAME, so I have narrowed it down to those.  

 

Headphones used:  JH13 Pro/JH16 Pro/Sony R10

 

In short, my findings for the benefit of those who are considering pre-order:

 

  1. The HM-602 is a bargain for the money, especially at a preorder price.
  2. Overall SQ is nearly identical using 16/44 music to the HM-801, very impressive at the price
  3. Only after exhaustive listening sessions using 24/96 DVD-A extracted files (Checkfield - Surrounded) was I able to detect the edge of the HM-801s superior DAC configuration.  If I had to enumerate the difference, I'd say the HM-602 can deliver about 80% of the HM-801s overall SQ.  Fang has informed me that the difference is more evident once both models are amplified to speakers instead of headphones, but I had no way of confirming this independently.
  4. The HM-602's DAC will work with the iPad thru the photo connector kit (USB)...so does the HM-801
  5. I have asked Fang to find a source in China to obtain compatible batches of SDHC cards that will be tested with both HM-801 and HM-602 and provide as a way to obtain them at a reasonable cost.  Some of us including me ran into issues with various cards and if he could pull this off, that would be great.
  6. Near-gapless playback will be offered, no full gapless feedback.  That is not a firmware issue, rather it's a limitation of the main controller chip being used in both units.
  7. I have strongly suggested that a form fitting case preferably with some kind of belt-clip solution for the HM-602 be offered as an option, because the HM-602 is significantly lighter and more compact than its big brother and could easily be worn on the belt.
  8. The HM-602 will fit perfectly in the JHA carbon fiber optional otterbox, which is great for JH custom owners who ordered it.

 

Hopefully this will help out some of you who have been wondering about these issues. 

 

DSC_0006.jpg

 

DSC_0007.jpg

 

IMG_0007.jpg

 

DSC_0001.jpg


Thank you for the impressions!  Many of us have been waiting eagerly in our seats for an impression on this product and you have come to our aid, thou bringer of good news!  Many thanks to you, noble knight.  I can't wait to get mine!

post #81 of 640

Warp08, wow, thanks for the info.

 

I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on the pre-order, though i really can't afford it......

 

But the "80% of the 801" has me a bit worried, is this only with the higher bit rate 24/96 stuff?

trying to re-rip all my music to either flac or WAV, is this even 24/96 or is it all 16/44?

If 99% of all my music is 16/44 then most likelly i shouldn't be concerned with the 602's deficite in this regaurd?

 

Finally (if you have listened to a Cowon S9, J3 or SonyX) how does the 602 compair to these players? I own a sony X, and am scraping up funds for a J3, but if the 602 is truly "in another league" compaired to these i will jump on it.

 

I know, lots of questions(sorry) but this is a big purchace! 

post #82 of 640

Exactly my thoughts on the Cowon J3 or Sony X1060

How does SQ compare, each to it's full potential i.e. effects and EQ active....?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22 View Post

Warp08, wow, thanks for the info.

 

I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on the pre-order, though i really can't afford it......

 

But the "80% of the 801" has me a bit worried, is this only with the higher bit rate 24/96 stuff?

trying to re-rip all my music to either flac or WAV, is this even 24/96 or is it all 16/44?

If 99% of all my music is 16/44 then most likelly i shouldn't be concerned with the 602's deficite in this regaurd?

 

Finally (if you have listened to a Cowon S9, J3 or SonyX) how does the 602 compair to these players? I own a sony X, and am scraping up funds for a J3, but if the 602 is truly "in another league" compaired to these i will jump on it.

 

I know, lots of questions(sorry) but this is a big purchace! 


Edited by gjergji - 8/16/10 at 2:36pm
post #83 of 640

Thank you Warp08 for sharing your impressions. Now I am glad that I have pre-ordered HM602 as it seems to answer my need for a stand-alone source for both JH16 and ED8 well.

post #84 of 640

Interesting post from warp08, thanks

 

I have the GAME card and also find it superior to the (unmodded) original card

 

So are they changing the firmware to get 'near-gapless'? how much of a gap will there be, will it be noticeable?

post #85 of 640

So, you pre-ordered a relatively expensive product without any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) of the SQ that might be expected.

 

That takes early adopter to a whole new level...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochoo View Post

Thank you Warp08 for sharing your impressions. Now I am glad that I have pre-ordered HM602 as it seems to answer my need for a stand-alone source for both JH16 and ED8 well.

post #86 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbone View Post

So, you pre-ordered a relatively expensive product without any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) of the SQ that might be expected.

 

That takes early adopter to a whole new level...


It comes with a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.

post #87 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_hall View Post

Interesting post from warp08, thanks

 

I have the GAME card and also find it superior to the (unmodded) original card

 

So are they changing the firmware to get 'near-gapless'? how much of a gap will there be, will it be noticeable?


Would you please post a picture of the "Game card"? Thanks.

post #88 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by H22 View Post

Finally (if you have listened to a Cowon S9, J3 or SonyX) how does the 602 compair to these players? I own a sony X, and am scraping up funds for a J3, but if the 602 is truly "in another league" compaired to these i will jump on it.


I spent some time comparing my S9 to the HM-801, and it's simply no contest. No amount of enhancements or EQing can get the S9 anywhere close to the HM-801. The S9 is a bit better than an iPod and maybe about even or slightly worse sounding than the Sony X. The HM-801 just hammers it. I'm definitely getting the 602.

post #89 of 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbone View Post

So, you pre-ordered a relatively expensive product without any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) of the SQ that might be expected.


As it was already pointed out, 30 day money back guarantee for the win.

Also this forum has a lovely thing called the For Sale section.

post #90 of 640

Considering that it has only 16 gb onboard (expandable to 48gb if you dont want to carry around multiple cards), I would need to have most of my music in mp3 320 kbps. I could rip a few of my favorite albums in flac, but most would be in mp3.

 

How does the mp3 playback of HM 801 / 602 compare against the cowon/sony players ? This player involves lots of compromises (size,battery,UX,updates,build quality,cost etc..), so the sound quality should be miles ahead for me to consider this.

 

Also, I own the TF10 pro's which I plan to get remoulded through UM and probably add an additional mid driver. I assume that the HM 602 will be able to drive those much better than the cowon/sony ?


Edited by subszero - 8/16/10 at 8:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home