What stores will allow to demo headphones? I am in the Northern Virginia area.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/10
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM Last post on 12/23/13 at 5:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH-W1000x Modded Re-cabled | Purrin's Mod | L3000 Pads Last post on 12/3/13 at 3:11pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Last post on 9/9/14 at 1:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Where can I demo headphones?post #1 of 287/28/10 at 10:23amThread Starterpost #2 of 287/28/10 at 1:31pmThread Starterpost #3 of 287/28/10 at 10:54pm
The only national-chain store I know of that sells decent headphones and lets you try them out is Guitar Center. Aside from that your best chance to hear anything close to a wide number of headphones would be at a meet. The Meets forum is here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/24
The meet closest to you geographically that's next coming up looks like the North Carolina Canfest on 8/14, if that's not too far away for you. If you're remotely serious about auditioning headphones though, I think you'd find attending any kind of meet to be a very worthwhile experience, even if you have to travel a little bit to get to one.post #4 of 287/28/10 at 11:13pmThread Starter
Thanks man. I will try Guitar Center.
The Canfest does not seem practical for me. I am 14 and would have to ask my parents to drive all the way down to NC. I know the answer already...post #5 of 287/28/10 at 11:26pm
Guitar Center is OK, but they won't have any higher end stuff. They generally have stuff that around $250 or lower, and the stores I've been to don't have any demo models, but they do let you try out the brand new stuff.post #6 of 287/28/10 at 11:35pmThread Starterpost #7 of 287/28/10 at 11:42pmWell, a NC meet would be a little tough to get to. However, there are meets in the DC region. When one turns up, hit your parents up to take you along. This might be easier with your father, because there's a fair chance he'd geek out over the gear.
Also, parents would be very welcome at a meet. I haven't met a Head-Fi'er I didn't like and I'm sure they'd be welcomed. Have them bring some favorite CDs and they'd have a great time listening.post #8 of 287/28/10 at 11:45pmThread Starterpost #9 of 287/29/10 at 12:13am
Best Buy is the place to go. They only have the highest quality headphones available, such as those from Bose, Monster and Skullcandy. Anything they don't have is not worth selling because it's just not any good or has poor sound quality. If it doesn't work out of an Ipod, it's not worth using because no other source sounds better. Those in the know understand that Monster makes the best headphones available and they are TOP NOTCH with OUTSTANDING BASS that other companies can't match! They are also better then the low prices would suggest!post #10 of 287/29/10 at 12:18amQuote:Originally Posted by tdockweiler
Best Buy is the place to go. They only have the highest quality headphones available, such as those from Bose, Monster and Skullcandy. Anything they don't have is not worth selling because it's just not any good or has poor sound quality. If it doesn't work out of an Ipod, it's not worth using because no other source sounds better. Those in the know understand that Monster makes the best headphones available and they are TOP NOTCH with OUTSTANDING BASS that other companies can't match! They are also better then the low prices would suggest!
I just threw my HD650s in the trash. OMW to Best Buy!post #11 of 287/29/10 at 12:18amThread Starterpost #12 of 287/29/10 at 1:34am
I doubt you'll be able to find most of the headphones talked about here at chain stores. Local audio and/or video shops are probably your best bet.
I used some Google-Fu and found Audio Visions and they carry the Grado line and a portion of the Sennheiser line. If you Google map them, they have three locations around central Virginia, hopefully it's not too far out of reach for you. If it's a bit of a drive, you should probably ask the store to if they even have them there for you to try out and save yourself a trip. Another thing you can do is contact the companies themselves and they could probably tell you who their nearest dealers are to you. Best of luck!post #13 of 287/29/10 at 5:39am
hahahaha he might have been kidding but still a hilarious ass comeback, i just laughed out loud at work and got a couple weird lookspost #14 of 287/29/10 at 7:05amThread Starter
Well I went to the Sennheiser website and checked what my local dealers are. Guitar Center, FYE, and stores in my local airpot.
No headphone stores for me. That will show me to be a consumer. Hmph.post #15 of 287/29/10 at 11:44am
I wish they had a store here that had dozens of headphones to try out. I think such a place exists, but definitely not in Michigan! My wallet would definitely suffer if I ever stopped in. They should make a list of stores online that have lots of headphones to try out. I'm sure they exist in big cities like Chicago, New York,Tokyo etc.
Guitar Center here is nice. They will let you price match an online website as long as they are an authorized dealer. They won't let you demo headphones though, but sometimes it's nice to just walk into a local store and not have to order online. For some strange reason my local store has a no returns policy due to health reasons?! I think that's just them saying they don't want to take returns. Their excuse was that Michigan laws don't allow them to take returns on headphones!
But seriously though, Best Buy does carry a few good headphones. I was in there yesterday testing out the Monster Beats (don't ask) and saw they also had a pair of Koss UR-55s and some Sennheiser headphones to demo. That's about it.
- Where can I demo headphones?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 48 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 55 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 1 minute ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › hd650 enquiry 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic t51p vs Sennheiser Momentum - advise appreciated? 3 minutes ago
- › Narmoo's NEW S1 Dual dynamic supremus! 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)