Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Are Shure SE535's No longer top tier / high end IEMs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Shure SE535's No longer top tier / high end IEMs? - Page 7

post #91 of 149


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkanoo View Post

As there already is a general SM535 thread, I'm not sure what the need is for another thread other than to pose the O.P. rather leading question:

 

Are Shure SE535's No longer top tier / high end IEMs?

 

 

But, to answer it directly:

 

1.  The SM535s IEM is a new release ... so one need not ask questions of it as if it were some old industry standard that's been around.   

 

2.  Why not ask questions directly like: how does the SM535 compare to other high-end IEM's?  The thread title is a bit akin to questions like 'have you stopped beating your wife' and reflect an underlying agenda. 


No I don't think so, but it is a loaded question.
 


Edited by iponderous - 8/2/10 at 7:42pm
post #92 of 149

...........

post #93 of 149

i heard the 530, it is too fat in the mids.. lacking treble, lacking bass.. but did not compare it directly, but..

535 is better, good mids up to treble, good supporting bass that's slightly below the mids. never feels as fat as 530, more balanced.

i did a short a/b (not mine lol), with um3x, ck10, eq7..

i'd say the bass details is near um3x, vocals is sweet.. something like ck10/eq7.. dunno which one is closer, and also have smooth treble that is in the same league as all three.. soundstage feels quite open, and not congested. body is about eq7/um3x..

the only thing i didnt like about the se535 is the vocals being too forward to a point of annoyance, otherwise.. i really like it.

so.. if that is not top tier.. i guess, we can also take all the rest out of the top..

post #94 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEMoNteNTAcLe View Post

so.. if that is not top tier.. i guess, we can also take all the rest out of the top..


Ha! I like that... Well put, Sir.  

post #95 of 149

The thread topic might actually make more sense if it were asking this of SE530.  Since it came out 5 years ago there have been many other multi-drivers and dynamics that easily compete with it.  At this point in time I would probably consider it more of an upper mid tier/lower top tier IEM. 


Edited by Spyro - 8/4/10 at 7:29am
post #96 of 149

i disagree, iv heard a few things and ive yet to encounter anything that is better than the 530.  many may not like its flavour, in particular its treble.

 

however i am increasingly disturbed by the notion that because head fi is now becoming more mainstream that to sound good you have to have a V shaped sound with bass so exaggerated it must turn your brain to mush and treble to make you ears bleed.

post #97 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

i disagree, iv heard a few things and ive yet to encounter anything that is better than the 530.  many may not like its flavour, in particular its treble.

 

however i am increasingly disturbed by the notion that because head fi is now becoming more mainstream that to sound good you have to have a V shaped sound with bass so exaggerated it must turn your brain to mush and treble to make you ears bleed.

x 2

 

BTW, hi mark2410 (and Spyro!)
 

post #98 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

i disagree, iv heard a few things and ive yet to encounter anything that is better than the 530.  many may not like its flavour, in particular its treble.

 

however i am increasingly disturbed by the notion that because head fi is now becoming more mainstream that to sound good you have to have a V shaped sound with bass so exaggerated it must turn your brain to mush and treble to make you ears bleed.


Honestly I think slightly mid forward signatures are more natural to me.  I think this point has been made before due to the Fletcher Munson curve and the like.  Certainly canals are shaped differently and other environmental factors like source synergy.  Its easy to get caught up in the V shape since its accentuating details you normally wouldn't notice.  Has the shiny new toy effect.  Recessed or sucked out mids also make no sense since the majority of sound occurs in this range.

post #99 of 149

hi, music 4321

post #100 of 149


Shure is good but Jh16 is better huh :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post

I love my 530s.  I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but as an owner of JH16s as well, I can't honestly say that the JH16s are $700 better than the 530s.  Don't get me wrong, I REALLY love the JH 16s and have them in my ears almost constantly.  However, I still listen to the 530s out of an ipod on public transport and whatnot and they are outstanding.  One of my favorite pairs of headphones.  


 

post #101 of 149

Yes, I agree too, that a slightly forward mids presentation is a most natural tone since most instruments and vocals fall in this range.

post #102 of 149

I get what you guys are saying but natural is neutral. Have we gotten to the point that if it isn't V shaped, it's considered mid forward? Highs and bass are about more than just he last audible 1/2 octave at either extreme. Lots of boom-tinkle in favor here IMO.


Edited by goodvibes - 8/6/10 at 6:20am
post #103 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I get what you guys are saying but natural is neutral. Have we gotten to the point that if it isn't V shaped, it's considered mid forward? Highs and bass are about more than just he last audible 1/2 octave at either extreme. Lots of boom-tinkle in favor here IMO.


I agree... I like the 'boom-tinkle' term. That seems to fit the SM3 I'm currently testing, but does not describe the SE535 sound. The 535 is much more mid-centric, whereas the SM3 is a hard U shape with very recessed upper mids.

 

I will take slight issue with equaling 'natural' and 'neutral'. While I understand how they can be the same and might be construed as the same, I don't think they are the same in general terms. For example, I found the HD600 and D5000 to be extremely 'natural'. Reproduction of strings, horns, voice... all were dead-on in terms of 'reality' and were extremely 'natural' and acoustic. But they were also 'warm'. The DT880/600 is amazingly flat across the spectrum. No over-emphasis in any part of the spectrum (except the ultra-highs). and are what some might consider cool, but most who own them would consider them 'neutral'.

 

It's semantics, really. If for you natural and neutral are the same, then great. But there is a conflicting argument.

 

cheers

 

shane
 

post #104 of 149

The mid range alone keeps the E5** relevant and competitive. Just as Spyro pointed out, the music is in the mid range, and Shure gets it right. 


Edited by robm321 - 8/6/10 at 9:05am
post #105 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

The mid range alone keeps the E5** relevant and competitive. Just as Spyro pointed out, the music is in the mid range, and Shure gets it right. 


Got that right, neighbor.

Take the SE535's sonic signature, throw in a 5-10db increase in everthing above 6khz and you've got pure magic.

 

shane
 


Edited by shane55 - 8/6/10 at 9:34am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Are Shure SE535's No longer top tier / high end IEMs?