Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fuze or S:Flo2 for following setup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fuze or S:Flo2 for following setup?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

1) Supposing I use only 320kbps (& no FLAC) + Fischer Audio DBA2 + E5

will i get a significant SQ/soundstage/bass boost or just a slight improvement using S:Flo2 over Fuze?

because i am getting Fuze at half the price of S:Flo2. I dont need videos, etc.

 

2) Suppose i buy AudioEngine A5 in future. Will i get significantly better SQ using just S:Flo2 line-out than using ASUS Xonar on desktop?

post #2 of 33

1: I would say the s:flo2 because it just sounds better OVERALL and down the line if you upgrade your headphones you will be happy you got the better player. From what I hear, the s:flo2 has better SQ/soundstage/ and bass than the Fuze.

 

2: I don't know much about those speakers.... after doing a quick google search yea the sflo2 would be much better. 

post #3 of 33

From "what you hear" is from personal experience or what you have read?

post #4 of 33
Thread Starter 

For question 1, i wanted to know how significant is the difference? Is it worth paying double the amount for S:Flo2 ?

post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonball View Post

For question 1, i wanted to know how significant is the difference? Is it worth paying double the amount for S:Flo2 ?


To me, yes.  Is it twice the sound?  No.  Make sense?

post #6 of 33
Thread Starter 

Yes. Makes sense. You mean that the SQ increase is logarithmic (taking price on X-axis & SQ on Y-axis), whereas i was hoping it to be linear if not exponential.

My question should have included the financial condition of the buyer. My stretched budged is about US$ 200.

post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

From "what you hear" is from personal experience or what you have read?


Personal experience; albeit I was using an Rx and K702s; it comes down to how revealing your equipment is; if your headphones are pretty good and you have good source files you can tell the difference in some songs; for me it's easiest to hear the difference in classical and acoustic music; something with small nuances/details. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonball View Post

For question 1, i wanted to know how significant is the difference? Is it worth paying double the amount for S:Flo2 ?


For me? Yes because that extra bit of detail, power, and increase in soundstage helps with the overall music experience. If you only have the Clip+ and you want something that sounds better and have the money, then it's worth it.

 

I had the s:flo2 first and got the Clip+ for use in the car but I still love it; great player but it just isn't THAT good. 

post #8 of 33

I had the fuse, I got it on woot for 25$ and ended up giving it away to a co worker cause it wasn't really worth keeping for me. The EQ was useless cause even the slightest adjustment caused some distortion and slightly higher listening levels. The sound signature is flat, boring, uninspired and will pretty much put you to sleep, the headphone output was weak and did not drive my IEM's very well. My 4 year old zune30 sounded better to me  than the Fuse. The SFLO:2 stomps the fuse it is just a more natural, thicker and more enjoyable sound. The soundstage is better, the details are better but it also has a nice analog warmth, and the EQ is very good i have mine adjusted pretty high and it does not distort even at very loud volumes. Even out of the box with no amp the SFLO:2 drives any headphone i have used with it to very loud and very clean  levels.

 

Yea the fuse is cheaper but the SFLo:2 is not that expensive and is well worth the extra money.

post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

I had the fuse, I got it on woot for 25$ and ended up giving it away to a co worker cause it wasn't really worth keeping for me. The EQ was useless cause even the slightest adjustment caused some distortion and slightly higher listening levels. The sound signature is flat, boring, uninspired and will pretty much put you to sleep, the headphone output was weak and did not drive my IEM's very well. My 4 year old zune30 sounded better to me  than the Fuse. The SFLO:2 stomps the fuse it is just a more natural, thicker and more enjoyable sound. The soundstage is better, the details are better but it also has a nice analog warmth, and the EQ is very good i have mine adjusted pretty high and it does not distort even at very loud volumes. Even out of the box with no amp the SFLO:2 drives any headphone i have used with it to very loud and very clean  levels.

 

Yea the fuse is cheaper but the SFLo:2 is not that expensive and is well worth the extra money.


Uh huh. I agree. It seems that people get caught up in the hype and start saying things like (best SQ in a player I've ever had) because it sounds "decent" for the price. It's neutral, I give it that, but the soundstage and overall sense of power sucks to be honest. 

 

For the price it's pretty good. Would someone concerned with the best SQ for his portable setup buy it? I hope not. 

post #10 of 33

If you Rockbox the Fuze, that changes everything....

post #11 of 33


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

If you Rockbox the Fuze, that changes everything....


BS.  Its a big improvement, but it still doesn't solve the physical inadequacies of the player.  Rockbox fixes none of the issues I have w/ the Clip+ sound.

post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

 


BS.  Its a big improvement, but it still doesn't solve the physical inadequacies of the player.  Rockbox fixes none of the issues I have w/ the Clip+ sound.


Exactly. The improved EQ is probably the biggest improvement to sound but it only "changes" it, not makes it better. 

post #13 of 33

Getting the S:Flo2 is like amazing sex with a horrible bitch.

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergex2 View Post

Getting the S:Flo2 is like amazing sex with a horrible bitch.


Stop trying to have a conversation w/ it and use it for what nature intended.  

post #15 of 33


You mean "listening to"...with that changed it's a nice similie lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergex2 View Post

Getting the S:Flo2 is like amazing sex with a horrible bitch.


 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fuze or S:Flo2 for following setup?