- 213 Posts. Joined 12/2006
- Location: Mumbai
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for video (movies, TV, etc) Last post on 8/21/10 at 9:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Am I crazy? Stock iBuds have a nice midrange, treble, and rendition of female vocals? Last post on 6/12/10 at 12:43am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM that covers it all budet 400$, 500$ Last post on 6/9/13 at 11:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
[Review] Impressions of the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS versus the SM3, FX700 and e-Q7 - Page 11post #151 of 2683/20/11 at 5:28amBy the way James, do you have the Skullcandy Gel tips? Have you tried them with the BA-SS?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 2683/20/11 at 5:42amQuote:Originally Posted by james444
Let's face it, we all strive for the better, that's the reason why you've bought your FX500 and didn't stick to your Xears. Now put yourself in my place, I've been through the SF5 pro, CK10, SE530, CK100 and SM3, and none of these multi-driver armatures gave me the transparency and coherence of an e-Q7. With some of them, like the CK100, I could clearly tell the different characteristics of their drivers (dry bass, liquid treble), that made them sound incoherent and more technical than musical.
So, assuming you're in the same situation and had $1000 to spend on an upgrade, would you go for a top end custom, which are uniformly multi-driver armatures, or for something like the FI-BA-SS instead? I know mine is a minority position, but in my personal universe the FI-BA-SS make perfect sense.
I do understand your take on it and whatever gets you going is all that matters. As for coherency I think the 1964-T is one of the best multi driver BA I've heard which is one of the reasons I like them so much. You definitely are a minority in this not getting customs to upgrade but it's not a bad position to be in. As a matter of fact I like your position on that right about nowQuote:Originally Posted by firoze
@ average_joe. I like your analogy Yes the BA-SS is extremely seductive! By the way, like I have said earlier, I do not find them to have a sizzling treble - they sound that way only if you do not have a perfect fit or are not using the right tips for your ears. I did take me a lot of trial and error before I found the perfect tips and fit. But now the treble is smooth, solid, very extended but definitely not peaky. If you still have them, maybe you could try different tips?
average_joe has not posted here :P I think I have a pretty good fit and tried a couple of tips and heard a bit of a hot treble. It's not as bad as some other earphones I've heard but still some up there right now. It may also have something to do what I'm comparing them with.
Edited by rawrster - 3/20/11 at 5:45ampost #153 of 2683/20/11 at 5:43amQuote:
Hey, that was just with the absurd FAD dynamic driver ear-silos/tanks/counterweights, not with their armature IEMs. ;)
The BA-SS and BA-SB sure sound nice to my ears. I don't understand the hubbub about them being the 'best ever', which they certainly aren't for my taste, but they are indeed very good/dynamic/clear sounding.post #154 of 2683/20/11 at 6:18am
Sorry if I missed something here but, were all those customs you've tried full customs (ie custom made for your ears only) or universal demo units of said customs? If the latter is the case, I think you should make that very clear as there may well be significant differences in SQ between a custom IEM proper and a demo unit.
Forgive me for saying this but I honestly think your 'enthusiasm' for the BA-SS borders on fanboyism. Of course I haven't heard the BA-SS and I'm sure it's a fine IEM but I can't help feeling some of your comments are OTT.
EDIT: I see that only later did you clarify they were indeed demo units. My overall impressions of your posts still stand, though.
Edited by music_4321 - 3/20/11 at 6:25ampost #155 of 2683/20/11 at 6:29amQuote:
The analogy was first used on the W4 thread by somebody else a few weeks ago, as far as I know, though worded slightly differently.
Edited by music_4321 - 3/20/11 at 6:35ampost #156 of 2683/20/11 at 7:55ampost #157 of 2683/20/11 at 8:20amQuote:
No offence taken, but if you could hear what I am hearing through the BA-SS, I think your opinion would be very different indeed! But since you have not heard the BA-SS, I won't take your comments seriously. Like I said earlier, over the last couple months I have heard almost every top end IEM carefully and have not found anything that comes close to the BA-SS's combination of strengths. Had I found something better, I would certainly have bought them!
By the way, I do like the Final Audio 'family' sound very much. I think their earphones have something very right about them- a very open, free sound; extremely articulate and dynamic. I value those charactersitiscs a lot.post #158 of 2683/20/11 at 8:38amQuote:
And we are supposed to take your comments seriously after some of the sweeping statements you've made?post #159 of 2683/20/11 at 8:50amThread Starterpost #160 of 2683/20/11 at 8:54ampost #161 of 2683/20/11 at 4:12pm
I can see these earphones being the final destiny for some people. It suits a particular signature and imo james444 was spot on when he tried to deceive me and my wallet in this review I believe when he mentioned something about the e-Q7 and CK10.
@firoze, if you consider it the best for you after trying all of those other gear then you may be lucky and have ended your search. The FI-BA-SS is not that for me but I can appreciate the good things about it and what it does well it does very well. That's not to say it is perfect but the positives far outweigh the negatives from what I'm hearing so far.post #162 of 2683/20/11 at 4:39pmQuote:
Yes, that final destination likely being a coffin after getting a heart attack when they find out the price of this universal IEM that should at the very least come with a better cable and strain relief.
Edited by music_4321 - 3/20/11 at 4:42pmpost #163 of 2683/20/11 at 9:36pmThread StarterQuote:
The final destiny... well, that remains to be seen. But they're without a doubt the best armature based IEMs I've heard so far. As for being spot-on and trying to deceive you, that's quite a strange logic in my book - either I was spot-on, or I was trying to deceive you, don't you think so? Anyway, glad you like them so far, happy listening...Quote:
Agreed, but compared to the atrocious FAD's 1601 cloth cable even these look halfway decent. I'm pretty fond of FAD's designs, because they strike a chord with me, but they shouldn't priorize design over function so much. Those long steel strain reliefs don't really serve a useful purpose, yet they make getting a deep seal harder than necessary. And that's just one example, next being laser etched L/R markers that you can hardly see in bright sunlight, and so on. They really should hire someone to help them with usability, or hand out preproduction samples to a few experienced people (FAD, are you listening? ).
Edited by james444 - 3/20/11 at 9:37pmpost #164 of 2683/20/11 at 9:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by james444
The final destiny... well, that remains to be seen. But they're without a doubt the best armature based IEMs I've heard so far. As for being spot-on and trying to deceive you, that's quite a strange logic in my book - either I was spot-on, or I was trying to deceive you, don't you think so? Anyway, glad you like them so far, happy listening...
My logic is undeniable. However I did mention my wallet as well..
I don't see much use for the metal strain relief either, thin cable or overall build quality outside of the steel housing which will take quite a bit of effort to break I would imagine.
post #165 of 2683/21/11 at 4:23amQuote:Originally Posted by rawrster
@firoze, if you consider it the best for you after trying all of those other gear then you may be lucky and have ended your search. The FI-BA-SS is not that for me but I can appreciate the good things about it and what it does well it does very well. That's not to say it is perfect but the positives far outweigh the negatives from what I'm hearing so far.
Very true rawrster, the BA-SS is far from perfect, just as everything in Audio in general is far from perfect. I have no doubt that sooner rather than later, along will come the another great IEM which will outclass it comprehensively. But for the moment, its the best earphone for me and I am content with that! :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [Review] Impressions of the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS versus the SM3, FX700 and e-Q7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Help me setup my perfect audio setup. Getting a pair of closed,... 21 seconds ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 31 seconds ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 35 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 47 seconds ago
- › Taction Technology KANNON Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Portable AMP/DAC working on Android [HELP] 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear