I got a Matrix M-Stage yesterday. Will it take time to reach it's best level of detail? (BTW, it is linked with HD800s)
Related Forum Threads
- Matrix M-Stage Observations Last post on 9/9/10 at 6:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Matrix m-stage Last post on 10/14/10 at 8:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Beware!!! I purchased the Matrix-M Stage a month and a half ago, now the soundstage is gone Last post on 9/1/10 at 7:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Matrix M-stage vs Schiit Asgard...has anyone compared them yet? Last post on 4/18/11 at 12:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-780 Amp > Alo Rx Last post on 9/27/10 at 11:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
INTRO:- Shozy, A brand that hails from HongKong, going strong since 2012, better known for their amplifiers, DAPs and DACs has the mighty popular Shozy Alien that looks, sounds and...
1) Disclaimer: A big thanks to Charles and Burson for offering me a review sample of the V5i dual op-amps in exchange for my honest opinion on them. No other compensation was offered or implied....
Being a tester and owner of many digital portable players , I had to participate to the head-fi review tour for Soundaware, especially since all the players of the brand have interested me for...
Unboxing and Packaging The ShareMe 5 arrived in a box that looks similar to the ShareMe Pro, but thicker. The packing inside is slightly nicer looking. The plastic container holding the...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/earphones-iems-ciems/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory...
- Headphone Impedance
do amps need burn in time?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Some would say about 10 seconds after you put power to it. Others will say the caps need time to get conditioned. Black Gate caps have a recommended breakin of hundreds of hours.
You are a recent visitor to our forum but this question has drawn families to fistfights.
Let the banter begin.
Part of the durability of this myth is that components slightly change value when they change temperature. Of course, things might sound slightly different when something is hot. Not necessarily better, but different.
After a certain amount of exposure to heat, components permanently change their values. You can look at this as "burn in," or you can look at that as a component that is now defective because it is out of manufacturer's spec. Most gear will continue to operate with components out of spec, but they won't be performing at the level they were designed to perform at. My take is that when components change value, they should be replaced.
By the way, if anything thinks that it is a good thing when components are damaged and change to a different value, boy, have I got a deal for you. I've got a bunch of resistors and capacitors that have been "burned in" for 50, 60, sometimes even 70 years. They are so nicely burned in that they're nothing like what they were.
Even though they produced a wonderfully "burned in" sound on my old tube gear, I nevertheless replaced them because - for whatever reason - I find that the old radios and stuff sound better with parts that are in spec. Of course, that's just an opinion and what do I know? My test gear tells me the stuff is working properly, but that's just a matter of personal taste, isn't it? After all, when your car starts running rough because the spark plugs are worn out and your wires aren't conducting very well, you just tell the mechanic that the car is fully "burned in" and that it works better that way. Because that's only the mechanic's opinion and it doesn't really mean that your car isn't working correctly. Besides, you once read an article about cars and burn-in, so you know what's going on.
I promise that these resistors and capacitors won't sound anything like their modern equivalents. However, these are sold as-is. if something stops working there's no warranty. Also, it might be a good idea to update the limits on your fire insurance policy.
Edited by Uncle Erik - 7/23/10 at 8:10pm
No, this is not done to make them sound "better." It's to make sure you didn't get a bum tube.
Like everything else, the longer and hotter you run a tube, the shorter its life will be. Almost all of the amps discussed here are auto-biasing, but many power amps are not. This means that you have to reset the bias point every so often because the tube is degrading over time. It's not a big deal, but if you're running a power amp, it is a constant reminder that your tubes are running down - not some magical means of making them sound better. Similarly, you can put a tube into a tube tester and measure how much life it should have left.
- do amps need burn in time?
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 24 seconds ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Any idea about this new headphone ? 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › AR M20, DP-X1 or Cayin I5? 5 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 5 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 6 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Soundaware Esther by Fabaaroan
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...