A few points for consideration:
- I like my Grado SR80s, but I need a set to listen to in bed while my wife snoozes next to me.
- The Grados are a tad bit harsh on the top even with the EF2 tube amp. I'd like something with a bigger soundstage (wider and deeper), as well as better imaging to put the musicians out in front of me instead of keeping it boxed up in my head
- While I'm sure these will get some heavy time on my EF2 rolled with CV4010s, the majority of their time will probably be spent with my iPod pushing high bit-rate ALACs through a cardas silver LOD to a JDS Labs CmoyBB v.2.02.
- They DO NOT need to be portable.
- I am not currently using the bass boost on the CmoyBB. The SR80s have plenty without it.
- I like a nice percussive, tight bass. No boom.
- Music-wise, I listen to Classic rock (eg CSNY, Pink Floyd, Zep, the Dead), Classical piano/guitar concertos (Chopin), Jazz (Return to Forever, Diana Krall, Ray Brown Trio, Coltrane, Miles, etc); Tool, Coldplay etc, etc, etc.
- My budget is b/t $100 and $200 - closer to $100 if possible.
- I have investigated the used route, but I am perplexed as what to buy. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a new set of Superlux HD-668Bs, but they are open. I just picked them up a try and then maybe pass on to my bro as a gift.