Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Marantz SA-8004
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Marantz SA-8004 - Page 7

post #91 of 195

Like I stated previously, thank you for all your replies.

 

I should explain that I asked about SACD/CD players, and not universal players that also support blu-ray and multichannel output, because I personally already own two in the Marantz UD7006 and Sony BDP-370.

 

I am able to find and listen/view Marantz, Denon, Cambridge Audio, Oppo and Sony universal players easily in Singapore.

 

I have less luck finding non-Marantz SACD/CD players at the $1,000 to $2,000 price range. No problem finding Cary Audio, Teac Esoteric, and Krell, but all three are way above my budget. Sony XA-5400ES is no longer available here.

 

My Denon DCD-1520 CD player is no longer working, and my DCD-2560GL is elsewhere, so I was considering whether to buy a new player for a two-channel setup given I own too many CDs and SACDs. Hence I asked because I wanted to know whether my options were as restricted as I thought.

post #92 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


 



what do you fail to understand.HE DONT WANT  A BLUE RAY PLAYER . PLAIN AND SIMPLE SEE THE THREAD TITLE. Glad you like your multi channel but for the OP its 2 channel and for me its my preference also. Had that  home theater stuff and I never used it for music.  Go peddle your Oppo  on antother threadbigsmile_face.gif


Even after being warned, he just failed to get it. It's best to just ignore him now. And tkteo no need trying to explain why you don't want a multichannel bluray player. It doesn't matter. He's going to try to push the oppo down your throat regardless. I hate it when threads like this gets hijacked.

 

post #93 of 195

The issue I have with a BR player for music only use is it needs a screen to make it work.  I understand Oppo 95 changed its software to make things better.

post #94 of 195
For those don't have SACD and only play Redbook Marantz is releasing the CD6004 this month. It adds the USB panel of the SA8004 and it's Redbook is supposed to be on par with the 8004. Less the SACD of course. I know the OP has a bunch of SACD discs but wanted to let anyone who's reading this thread to know Marantz has a new player coming out.
Edited by baka1969 - 9/7/11 at 11:39am
post #95 of 195

Has anyone compared the SA-8004 and Sony SCD-5400ES side by side?  If so, how do they compare both on redbook and SACD?

post #96 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat View Post

Has anyone compared the SA-8004 and Sony SCD-5400ES side by side?  If so, how do they compare both on redbook and SACD?


Try doing a search on AudiogoN. There are few large "what's the best" threads dealing with digital front ends. I know there's a very interesting active one that's over 10 years old. You can see how digital has trended and evolved during that time. the SA-8004 and Sony SCD-5400ES side by side?  If so, how do they compare both on redbook and SACD?[/quote]

Try doing a search on AudiogoN. There are few large "what's the best" threads dealing with digital front ends. I know there's a very interesting active one that's over 10 years old. You can see how digital has trended and evolved during that time.
Edited by baka1969 - 9/7/11 at 3:44pm
post #97 of 195

I haven't compared them side by side, but I've listened to the sony at a meet for a little while. So take this with a grain of salt. From memory I would say the sony is a little brighter. It's not overly bright. It's just a shade brighter than neutral. It's very clean sounding with great dynamics. The bass is nice an tight, and the mids are very transparent. It does sound just a tad digital, but I would say that most will be happy with it. Even though I don't have it side by side with my marantz I will still say I prefer the marantz for these reasons. The marantz has never sounded like anything other than dead neutral. Bright source material sounds bright, warm sounds warm, and neutral sounds neutral. It's going to give you exactly what's in the music. Also, it sounds very analog. There's no digital harshness, well I haven't heard any yet. It still maintains all of the strenghts I heard in the sony along with a fuller sound. The sony is still an excellent sounding player. It has a nice feature set in it's own right like hdmi(no, it's not a bluray player. hdmi is for audio only), balanced outputs(I've heard they are not true balanced but suedo balanced, but the info could be wrong). The build quality of each unit is about the same. I think most people would be happy with either.

post #98 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

For those don't have SACD and only play Redbook Marantz is releasing the CD6004 this month. It adds the USB panel of the SA8004 and it's Redbook is supposed to be on par with the 8004. Less the SACD of course. I know the OP has a bunch of SACD discs but wanted to let anyone who's reading this thread to know Marantz has a new player coming out.


thanks for the heads up.  I was looking at the SA 8004 but do not own any SACD, at least not yet
 

 

post #99 of 195

I have the CD 5004 it's fairly good for headphone use better sound than a DVD player.

But where the Marantz truly impresses is with speakers.

 

 

post #100 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

I haven't compared them side by side, but I've listened to the sony at a meet for a little while....I think most people would be happy with either.

Thanks moodyrn, very helpful.

 

People I respect alot who post on various other boards seem to universally regard the Sony 5400 as a very special player- not the world's best build quality but good enough, and sonically fantastic, even compared to much more expensive players.

 

If the Marantz is even reasonably close, it will be an easy choice for me because with the optical and USB digital inputs, I can also use it as my main DAC to play digital files- probably 80% of my listening.  This is a huge vote in favor of the Marantz for me personally, much as I like Sony ES gear.
 

 

post #101 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post




Even after being warned, he just failed to get it. It's best to just ignore him now. And tkteo no need trying to explain why you don't want a multichannel bluray player. It doesn't matter. He's going to try to push the oppo down your throat regardless. I hate it when threads like this gets hijacked.

 


Don't be such a bully. No one here has a monopoly on ideas. Be a critical thinker, instead of a stinker.
 

 

post #102 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling1 View Post




Don't be such a bully. No one here has a monopoly on ideas. Be a critical thinker, instead of a stinker.
 

 


Tkteo did clearly state he didn't want a universal player. If I loudly say I dislike peanut butter and someone offers me peanut butter, that's hardly an idea and certainly isn't critical thinking. Not every idea has merit and suggesting the Oppo was an idea that lacked merit based on the OP's criteria.
Edited by baka1969 - 9/8/11 at 7:09am
post #103 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling1 View Post




Don't be such a bully. No one here has a monopoly on ideas. Be a critical thinker, instead of a stinker.
 

 


I guess you failed reading this is not about Universal Players so move on alreadyvery_evil_smiley.gif

 

post #104 of 195

I just received a Marantz SA8004 for my bedroom system.  This replaces a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic I was less than impressed with.  Plus it brings a CD/ SACD player to the mix.  I connected my Bolder modded Squeezebox Touch with a linear power supply to it using the coaxial connection and at first blush, I prefer it to the DACMagic quite a bit... I'm letting it break-in for a while before I do any more listening.  So far, I like it.  Now I have to see how it sounds with my AKGs....

post #105 of 195


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrav View Post

I just received a Marantz SA8004 for my bedroom system.  This replaces a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic I was less than impressed with.  Plus it brings a CD/ SACD player to the mix.  I connected my Bolder modded Squeezebox Touch with a linear power supply to it using the coaxial connection and at first blush, I prefer it to the DACMagic quite a bit... I'm letting it break-in for a while before I do any more listening.  So far, I like it.  Now I have to see how it sounds with my AKGs....



Congrats man. Very similar to my setup. The more I use it, the more I like it. CD/SACDs, ipod, presented through a very nice DAC in a nice unit. Very simple, streamlined, straightforward rig with or without an amp.

 

In fact, I'm liking the results so much that I am going to add a NA7004 (same unit, just networked audio instead of the CD drive) to the living room, that and a bluray player attached to my speaker amp, I can forgo the tanglings and compromises of a HT receiver.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Marantz SA-8004