Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › HiFace, sensitive information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFace, sensitive information - Page 7

post #91 of 425

This thread is rather long, can OP edit the first post showing exactly what we need to check.  Unless it is there and not showing, I plan on buying one soon.

post #92 of 425
Thread Starter 

Good point ninjikiran, but I still need to find time to do the SoX tests and draw some preleminary conclusions before editing my first post. Unfortunaltely, I don't know of other ways to find out wether you have small oscillators or not in your unit, unless you decide to open the device.

post #93 of 425


Well I mean a comparison screenshot between old and new oscillators.  Or any numbering on it we can check.  Regardless I just rejected a deal from one purchased in april... just based on the fact that I am paying over $100 for a device that might not be worth as much as it once was.

 

When paying that much money I rather be sure I am getting exactly what I am paying for.

 

Keeping an eye on the Audio-G DI as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu144 View Post

Good point ninjikiran, but I still need to find time to do the SoX tests and draw some preleminary conclusions before editing my first post. Unfortunaltely, I don't know of other ways to find out wether you have small oscillators or not in your unit, unless you decide to open the device.


Edited by ninjikiran - 8/4/10 at 11:11am
post #94 of 425

I would like to see slim.a do a side-by-side review of these two units...

post #95 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanny View Post

I would like to see slim.a do a side-by-side review of these two units...


 

 

Then read the thread,  there are three.
 

post #96 of 425


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post

I am also a happy owner of a (modded) hiface but I hope that m2tech can solve the problem (free of charge) for those who are stuck with such units.

 

This issue might explain why there were so many disagreements about the sound of the hiface. People were just describing (almost) 2 different devices.





Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post




 

 

Then read the thread,  there are three.
 

 

regal.  My man...  This is the only post in this thread by slim.a, and as you can see, there is no side by side comparison. 

 

I sincerely appreciate your contribution to this forum and I really mean it.  No one can deny the knowledge and help you have been providing to those of us who are technologically impaired, but seriously, sometimes you can be a pain... 

 

It's all good though, no hard feelings.  

 

I am still interested in a review of both these units by slim.a...

 

Peace.
 

post #97 of 425

anyone have one with 2 clocks they would send me i want to see how bad it sounds :)

post #98 of 425



Oh I miss understood,  you want SlimA's expert ears and eloquent wordsmanship.  I can appreciate that,  his reviews/comparisons definately are top notch.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanny View Post


 





 

regal.  My man...  This is the only post in this thread by slim.a, and as you can see, there is no side by side comparison. 

 

I sincerely appreciate your contribution to this forum and I really mean it.  No one can deny the knowledge and help you have been providing to those of us who are technologically impaired, but seriously, sometimes you can be a pain... 

 

It's all good though, no hard feelings.  

 

I am still interested in a review of both these units by slim.a...

 

Peace.
 

post #99 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomo6789 View Post

anyone have one with 2 clocks they would send me i want to see how bad it sounds :)


i have one. pm me please if you really want to buy it.

post #100 of 425

Just wanted to add some data points here. I opened up my jkeny modded HiFace and it had the 2 large MEC clocks, so I got one from the good batch. I ordered my RCA HiFace directly from jkeny on June 30th.

post #101 of 425

Can anyone with known bad unit verify that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post

Have any of you tried using the application included with the latest hiFace driver called 'display.exe'? It is supposed to show bit depth and sample rate, but it does not work with my hiFace. I wonder if this would mean I have the wrong clocks? I told Marco about this some time ago and he said he would let his programmer know. I havent heard anything since and still no driver update.





Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post


 


Mine never worked.

 


Would it be incorrect to think that if you can realize significant improvements by feeding a below par oscillator (clock) battery power, you will obtain even greater improvements doing the same thing with a good oscillator?

 

USG

post #102 of 425

Update on mine:  following shahrose's example (Thanks!), I opened up my unit to see what the I have - big or small?  To my surprise, I have one big and one small.  I've heard of people having either/or, but not both...  I am attaching some pics for everyone to see.

 

I ran some more tests and my modded hiface definitely sounds better than what I had before, which was bit perfect out of my realtek sound card.  With foobar and sox resampler, I also like the original sample rate being it 44, 48, 88 or 96 over the resampled version.  So all my 44khz original sound better than their 48khz resampled versions.  Any thoughts on this??

 

jkeny is sending me someone else's unit that he just finished (has the correct clocks) - with that gentleman's permission, of course - to run some tests and put this issue to rest once and for all.  The unit in on its way to me now.  I've got two xp machines, my dac has 2 bnc inputs, it's going to be the perfect test environment.  John, thanks again for helping me!!  

 

I don't know exactly when my unit was purchased, I had John order it directly from m2Tech.  Shahrose had a good point, it would be great if we could establish a time-line as to when exactly these units were manufactured and sold.

 

 

Regards,

Danny

 

DSC_7095.jpgDSC_7096.jpgDSC_7097.jpg


Edited by xdanny - 8/19/10 at 7:09am
post #103 of 425


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdanny View Post

Update on mine:  following shahrose's example (Thanks!), I opened up my unit to see what the I have - big or small?  To my surprise, I have one big and one small one.  I've heard of people having either/or, but not both...  I am attaching some pics for everyone to see.


Thanks for the pics.

 

USG

post #104 of 425

any idea how to open up without breaking anything?

post #105 of 425

Use a dremel tool maybe?

You can ask Jkeny as he mods them all the time and he gets them open without destroying the casings.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › HiFace, sensitive information